Recommended Adjustment

you may want to increase the CF Hardness parameter to around 7.5. It varies with the type and brand of tube
On the preamp page, there's a parameter "Preamp Hardness" that varies with each type of tube.
Is this related to the "Preamp CF Hardness"?

Last edited:
Will try at gigs tomorrow and day after.

P.S. The name of the parameter varies, depending on firmware, hardware and editor. This is somewhat confusing.
Yeah, took some time to find it on the front panel, but then I never use that for editing. In AxeEdit, the parameter is on the Dynamics tab and is called 'Preamp CF Hardness.' On the Axe's front panel, it's on the ADV tab about three quarters down the page and is called 'CF Hardness'. I've checked a few of my high gain patches and the default value appears to be 5.0. This is with the latest Q 9.03 firmware.

Just for everyone’s reference, I believe I’m correct here, (as this is always one of the deep parameters I always check every time I create a patch) but the way to tell if the Amp uses a Cathode Follower is if there is a value in the [Preamp CF Compress %] if it’s default is Zero it’s a
Non CF Amp.
Seeing as how the [Preamp CF Hardness] is defaulted to 5.0, makes it kind of hard to know if you don’t know.
I’m pretty sure this information is correct, that was my understanding at the time it was explained to me quite awhile ago anyway. Hopefully someone can confirm this or correct it! :cool:

Last edited:
...but the way to tell if the Amp uses a Cathode Follower is if there is a value in the [Preamp CF Compress %] if it’s default is Zero it’s a
Non CF Amp.

I think I already asked this a while back but never got an official reply: the ac30tb preamp cf defaults to a quite high value, while the ac30hot (technically the same amp with tone stack bypassed) defaults to 0.. is that correct or is that a mistake? Is the cf related to the tone stack, and that explains why for the hot model is at 0?

I only use very few models and like this setting in most of them. For some reason I hate the result in the Capt Hook models.

One thing I noticed going back and forth between 9.02 and 9.03 ,and this could be my imagination but something feels better in 9.02 anyway, what I perceived I noticed is in my heavy amps when playing bar chords and then palm muting back and forth, the muted chords sound quiet and more dampened than before. Doing fast single note riffs like older Pantera seemed to have the same more choked or dampened feel. I wonder if this adjustment that Cliff is talking about would change that any? Like I said, could just be my imagination but I keep going back to 9.02 because of this.

One thing I noticed going back and forth between 9.02 and 9.03 ,and this could be my imagination but something feels better in 9.02 anyway, what I perceived I noticed is in my heavy amps when playing bar chords and then palm muting back and forth, the muted chords sound quiet and more dampened than before. Doing fast single note riffs like older Pantera seemed to have the same more choked or dampened feel. I wonder if this adjustment that Cliff is talking about would change that any? Like I said, could just be my imagination but I keep going back to 9.02 because of this.
That's funny because I thought exactly the opposite indeed when trying 9.03.
Anyway, if you're using speaker comp try to increase time constant or reduce speaker comp to bring up palm mutes.
With 9.03 I found a setting that works wonderfully for pretty much every amp I use (at least for my style of playing, I'm not into hi-gain sounds):

Speaker drive: 0.10
Speaker comp: 2.00
Time constant: 190ms

I think I already asked this a while back but never got an official reply: the ac30tb preamp cf defaults to a quite high value, while the ac30hot (technically the same amp with tone stack bypassed) defaults to 0.. is that correct or is that a mistake? Is the cf related to the tone stack, and that explains why for the hot model is at 0?
I wondered the same today and it seems only the top boost version has a cathode follower, so that's correct.
Source: http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/?page_id=287

Back
Top Bottom