Where is the AX8 currently being made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately where most everything else is made on the planet. For a short while the parts were assembled in the U.S. but that didn't work out i guess.

From: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/AX8_Amp_Modeler_Multi_Effects_Pedalboard_p/fas-008.htm
"Our unique company structure, along with our direct sales model means higher quality at a lower price—and the AX8 is made in the USA."

But on 2016-10-27, @Admin M@ wrote: "In an effort to reduce costs and improve availability, we have moved final assembly of this product to China."

Yup both are true! and if you happen to be one of those that own an AX8 that was assembled in the U.S.... well you know!

No, At first parts were made in China then assembled, programed and tested in the US but now everything is done in China.
Yes, we all know the story... my question is, then why does this page say:
"Our unique company structure, along with our direct sales model means higher quality at a lower price—and the AX8 is made in the USA."

Yes, we all know the story... my question is, then why does this page say:

My guess, whoever typed up the page didn't get their info correct in the first place, nore ever bothered to correct it after the fact.

I was one of the first who got the AX8 when they came out. So mine is probbably made in US, but i have recently lost a footswitch cap..
US stuff breaks too.

My guess, whoever typed up the page didn't get their info correct in the first place, nore ever bothered to correct it after the fact.
I was hoping to get a simple confirmation from FAS but two threads in, and they don't seem wont to answer.

I was one of the first who got the AX8 when they came out. So mine is probbably made in US, but i have recently lost a footswitch cap. US stuff breaks too.
Yeah, I was on the first waitlist for my 1st AX8 too, and later bought a 2nd "black bar" Made in the USA AX8.

But I suppose all this is beside the point. I'm just trying to get the original question answered.

Is there a big difference between connecting some ribbon cables on various circuit boards made in China, verses having the whole thing made in China ??

I think unless each and every piece is hand soldered, old school style, construction, its kind of a moot issue, as its essentially machine populated PCB's these days...

I mean heck, on my Axe II, I replaced the power supply unit before. Now the PS unit was surely made oversea's, but since I attached a ribbon cable, and tightened down 3 screws, I can now say "final assembly" of the unit was done in Florida, thus "Made in the USA" baby!

I think you guys are answering a bunch of questions I did not ask.

I'm not arguing about point to point, hand soldering, assembly, advanced machine automation, workers rights, USA Proud, PCB... I don't care one iota about any of that. Heck, I don't care if slave children of Lord Business assembled it with The Kragle, or Cliff has Christoph Kemper handcuffed to a bench soldering all day in Plaistow, NH.

The question is in the subject title. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Thanks @brokenvail. Is it too much to ask for @FractalAudio or @Admin M@ to confirm what you typed so simply?

Fact of the matter is they don't have to answer the thread, both might be to busy or on holiday only they know. Either way the answer will be the same It's made in China!

What really needs to be done is FAS needs to update the page info seeing how that's the official information outlet from FAS and not so much this forum but I understand what you mean.

@benvigil You might give M@ a direct email, he's really good about responding to Fractal customers on questions. My best guess (and I admit it is just that) is that it was put on the site with the original release and didn't get edited when the assembly change happened. The company is very above board on their customer relations, more so than any other company I have dealt with in 40+ years in the craft, which makes me think the miss is inadvertent rather than intentionally misleading.

It's a great unit (question you didn't ask, I know) from either location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom