AxeFx2 xl+ Stereo/Mono/cab question

Billbill

Power User
Hey guys. This question is more about AxeFx stereo cab setup operation than tonematching. That's why I posted it here. So today I realized that only a few of my custom presets only have sound coming out of one side of my 212 stereo cab, left speaker. So I checked all effects and switched chorus, pitch block and delay to stereo. Still only sound from left speaker. Checked amp and balance is noon. went into cab and to check balance and when I panned hard, it's all left speaker, pan the other way and still all left speaker. Set it noon and it just increased left speaker volume! Now I know the tonematch block will collapse signal to mono and this preset had a TM block in it. Is this normal behavior due to the TM block? I ended up importing the TM as a stereo cab and did some more panning and I was then able to get something out of the right speaker now. The panning was a bit weird too though. I think there could be and issue with my cab or maybe was just the TM block??? What u guys think??

That's weird? Try with headphones and pann hard left and right. If you hear both sides in the headphones it could be the cab. Although check your output in I/O if it is set to stereo?

That's weird? Try with headphones and pann hard left and right. If you hear both sides in the headphones it could be the cab. Although check your output in I/O if it is set to stereo?
This seems like a smart thing to test not sure why I didn't think of it. Going to try this tomorrow

Curiously, I had a preset that was using the 2290 delay model and when I ran it through Output 2 only the dry signal from the delay came through. Output 2 was set to echo Output 1, and it had L&R summed - then through a Matrix amp to a XiTone cab. Output 1 was still connected to my powered studio monitors. The studio monitors had the echo, but not the XiTone cab.

I changed the delay model and it magically started working properly. I never put it back to the 2290 model, though.

Curiously, I had a preset that was using the 2290 delay model and when I ran it through Output 2 only the dry signal from the delay came through. Output 2 was set to echo Output 1, and it had L&R summed - then through a Matrix amp to a XiTone cab. Output 1 was still connected to my powered studio monitors. The studio monitors had the echo, but not the XiTone cab.

I changed the delay model and it magically started working properly. I never put it back to the 2290 model, though.
The 2290 model has the phase reversed on one of the sides. This causes the Delay repetes to cancel each other out when collapsed to mono. There are a few other effects that will do this too.

It's usually best to just use the left or right output and leave the output set to 'Stereo'..... Unless you know what to look for and how to fix it. You can stay away from those effects or look inside and set the phase reverse to 'None'

The 2290 model has the phase reversed on one of the sides. This causes the Delay repetes to cancel each other out when collapsed to mono. There are a few other effects that will do this too.

It's usually best to just use the left or right output and leave the output set to 'Stereo'..... Unless you know what to look for and how to fix it. You can stay away from those effects or look inside and set the phase reverse to 'None'

That would explain it then.

Update: so earlier today while troubleshooting my issue with sound only coming out the left side of my cab I discovered this was NOT an AxeFx or preset issue. I disconnected everything and plug directly into the cab only to find I still only had sound out of the left speaker!! Pull the rear panel off to check everything and everything was solid and intact no loose connections however there is a stereo/mono switch on the rear of amp and when I flipped from stereo to mono it now worked from both speakers! In doing this I discovered another problem inside the amp that is probably a main contributing factor to the initial issue. I found that while i got sound from both speakers in mono mode, if I wiggled the wires going to the amps volume knob it would cut out the right speaker again!!!! The heck is goin on here?! The cab is a @mission Engineering Gemini 2 cab. A 1600.00 dollar cab that's less than a year old. Very sad. Thinking about a refund and moving on to something else.

Back
Top Bottom