How to record wet and dry guitar at once using RME interface?

Hansen

Experienced
I struggle to record wet and dry guitar signal at once. Previously I used the Axe FX II for my guitar recordings. Before I bought RME UFX II I recorded wet and dry tracks at the same time by simply using my AXE FX II as an Audio interface and connecting via USB. I am now running RME as my AI and have Axe FX II connected via the balanced inputs 1 and 2 in the back.

When I open Cubase and record I am not able to record wet and dry tracks at once. I only get a wet signal. I tried to set Output 2 to echo input 1, but it is still not working correctly. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Set Out 2 echo to "input" for dry signal at Output 2.

Alternatively you could route from input block to FX Loop, or use Out 1 L/R with separate dry & processed rows balanced L/R. These options would be ideal if you wanted to increase dry level before it leaves the Axe-FX, for example.

What Axe-FX outputs are your cables connected to?

Is there an FX Loop block in the preset?

Yes. For all my presets I have 2 routings: One going to FOH and the other to an amp. The routing going to the amp has FX Loop in it.

I am now using output 1 Left and Output 2 left, and I set output 2 to echo input 1. I did not get the wet sound, but I did not get a dry signal either. I got a fizzy strange sound. Kind of like a very bad version of the wet signal.

Thanks. I removed it and it worked! Would it also work to simply bypass it?

Other question: I am sending my dry signal from output 2, which is unbalanced. Could I have choosen to send my dry signal from output 1 instead, and the wet from output 2, in order to have a balanced dry signal? I guess a balanced dry signal would be of better quality than an unbalanced one?

Thanks. I removed it and it worked! Would it also work to simply bypass it?

No.

Other question: I am sending my dry signal from output 2, which is unbalanced. Could I have choosen to send my dry signal from output 1 instead, and the wet from output 2, in order to have a balanced dry signal? I guess a balanced dry signal would be of better quality than an unbalanced one?

It's possible. You might notice more noise reduction by increasing DI level (in the grid) than by just switching to a balanced connection.

Have you considered recording dry signal via SPDIF or AES?

No.
It's possible. You might notice more noise reduction by increasing DI level (in the grid) than by just switching to a balanced connection.
Have you considered recording dry signal via SPDIF or AES?

How should I increase the DI level in the grid? I run DI from output 2, so do you mean that I should increase output 2 volume on the front panel?

I was more concerned about whether a balanced connection would give a better signal in itself?

From what I remember from my discussions, it is not possible to record wet and dry together at the same time with SPDIF. I am not familiar with AES.

How should I increase the DI level in the grid?

With a filter block or similar. You could even use a few shunts, branching to two or more and combining afterward.

I was more concerned about whether a balanced connection would give a better signal in itself?

Probably not, aside from the potential noise level improvement.

From what I remember from my discussions, it is not possible to record wet and dry together at the same time with SPDIF.

You wouldn't have to record both via SPDIF. It's an option though, if you don't need to capture a stereo processed signal.

With a filter block or similar. You could even use a few shunts, branching to two or more and combining afterward.

What should the settings in the filter block me and why not just increase output 2 on the front?
Adding more shunts in the preset itself would increase the dry signal? Why is that?

Previously I ran with two cab blocks on my presets, sending the amp signal through both. Will the sound be the same if I choose Stereo UltraRes and select the same two cabs, to just be inside one block? Should I pan L and R both to centre?

It should sound the same if no tone-shaping parameters (high/low cut, preamp) differed between cab blocks before.

Pan cabs to center if you want them centered. Were your previous cab block balance controls centered?

It should sound the same if no tone-shaping parameters (high/low cut, preamp) differed between cab blocks before.

Pan cabs to center if you want them centered. Were your previous cab block balance controls centered?

Yes they were both centre. Does it make sense to pan them out if we are two gutiarists live? I guess it makes more sense to have both in the centre?

Back
Top Bottom