Went to a Fractal Clinic here in Melbourne the other night..

Georgy

Inspired
It’s always a great opportunity to go to a Fractal clinic, especially when there are two pro-players, pro-Fractal users who were kind enough to share their hints and tricks with us. Mind you here in Australia, this was probably the first Fractal clinic that was held, probably due to the fact that Australia’s population hasn’t even reached 25m!! Both players spoke about how they use their respective Axe FXs, AX8s and FX8s, so it was an all-round Fractal affair.

Anyhoo, we had fellow Fractal-users Burgs and Michael Dolce. I don’t think Burgs needs an introduction, and Dolce has been the main guitarist on Australia’s ‘The Voice’ since season 1; they are now up to season 7. Was great to hear these guys share ideas/settings/recommendations and have Q&A with them, in an intimate crowd of around 15-20 people. Both players even took the time to talk about acoustic patch settings, when to use/not to use a cab block when playing an acoustic or piezo equipped guitar, and both of them were kind enough to answer a lot questions that were getting fired in their direction! Very well Organised by Andrew of Independent Music.

Here’s a quick rundown on what stood out to me..

Michael Dolce:
  • Used his Plexi on Season 1, but has used his Axe-ii XL+ from Season 2 onwards. Far more accurate and intuitive to use. His Plexi used to sit 25m behind him whilst he was on stage, so making adjustments here and there were impossible.
  • Makes his patches from scratch, primarily to suit each song. He doesn’t have a ‘main patch’ as per se, because for him, he needs his patches to be absolutely song-specific. Great to know.
  • Only uses stock cabs!!!
  • Uses in-ears.
  • Keeps his patches incredibly simple and straight forward (like, 5 or 6 blocks get used in total, if that)
  • Makes all of his patches via his Genlec monitors… for everything!! This is where he does ALL of his tweaking.
  • Has some seriously amazing skills and knowledge… no wonder he’s the main guitarist on The Voice!!!

Brett ‘Burgs’ Kingman:
  • Says he hasn’t used an amp for live shows in 6 years.. it’s been Fractal for that long!
  • Uses the FX8 straight into a stage monitor for the smaller stage/smaller gig shows, mainly for acoustic stuff.
  • Also only uses stock cabs.
  • Uses the AX8 mainly, and only uses that whilst on the road.
  • Recommends to keep things simple; less is more, no need to have all these extra blocks if they’re not getting used.
  • Uses scenes for everything, and if memory serves correct, he only uses the one patch for the entire gig! (I could be wrong here.. maybe that depends on which artist he’s playing with).

• BOTH players go FRFR for everything!
  • BOTH players use an expression pedal which serves as a multi-purpose tool (if memory served correct, they used their exp pedals for just about every song they played on the night)
  • BOTH players recommended a good FRFR setup because that will be the most accurate translation when performing live shows.
  • BOTH players recommended to tweak your patches at band-volume (if possible) to ensure your sound/tone transales that way it’s meant to. The Fletcher-Munson theory got brought up a few times too.
  • BOTH players make global EQ adjustments if/when need be. This resonated with me as I never knew this existed, let alone that it could be done. Very handy, will start experimenting with it.

These were the main things that stood out to me. If I’ve missed something or over-exxagerated on something, please feel free to add.

So, not all is lost for those of us who still struggle with getting good ‘oomph’ from FRFR. Have a good monitor/cab in front of you so that you can hear yourself and let the sound guy do his thing so that the crowd gets the best possible representation of your sound.

For what it’s worth, I hope this helps.

George

Hey George. Thanks so much for the kind words. Despite the oppressive heat (man, it was humid in there!) I had a ball and also picked up a few tricks, technical and artistic, from Michael. It was great to meet you and the other attendees and I look forward greatly to doing it again. Thanks for coming!

Sounds awesome, cheers for sharing that George. I would have loved to have seen this.

@Burgs any chance of bringing this west next time you're over?

Not as humid as today! :)
Thanks
Pauly

Hey George. Thanks so much for the kind words. Despite the oppressive heat (man, it was humid in there!) I had a ball and also picked up a few tricks, technical and artistic, from Michael. It was great to meet you and the other attendees and I look forward greatly to doing it again. Thanks for coming!

You should combine it with Dweezil's Master Class. I bet I could help arrange that.
I so wanted to do something like this with you when I brought Dweezil to the Genesee in Waukegan 2015......but the closest I got was to have my XL featured on stage to be played by our pal Joe Guzzo while I cavorted and sang background vocals for Cosmic Debris..would have liked another shot at it this tour, but that venue that I had connections with was going thru some changes.....

Thanks for coming along George. We really appreciate the feedback!

Just so you know too, this was about the 4th clinic we've run. We've hosted them in Brisbane, Sydney and Byron Bay before the Melbourne one.

It’s always a great opportunity to go to a Fractal clinic, especially when there are two pro-players, pro-Fractal users who were kind enough to share their hints and tricks with us. Mind you here in Australia, this was probably the first Fractal clinic that was held, probably due to the fact that Australia’s population hasn’t even reached 25m!! Both players spoke about how they use their respective Axe FXs, AX8s and FX8s, so it was an all-round Fractal affair.

Anyhoo, we had fellow Fractal-users Burgs and Michael Dolce. I don’t think Burgs needs an introduction, and Dolce has been the main guitarist on Australia’s ‘The Voice’ since season 1; they are now up to season 7. Was great to hear these guys share ideas/settings/recommendations and have Q&A with them, in an intimate crowd of around 15-20 people. Both players even took the time to talk about acoustic patch settings, when to use/not to use a cab block when playing an acoustic or piezo equipped guitar, and both of them were kind enough to answer a lot questions that were getting fired in their direction! Very well Organised by Andrew of Independent Music.

Michael Dolce:
  • Used his Plexi on Season 1, but has used his Axe-ii XL+ from Season 2 onwards. Far more accurate and intuitive to use. His Plexi used to sit 25m behind him whilst he was on stage, so making adjustments here and there were impossible.
  • Makes his patches from scratch, primarily to suit each song. He doesn’t have a ‘main patch’ as per se, because for him, he needs his patches to be absolutely song-specific. Great to know.
  • Uses in-ears.
  • Keeps his patches incredibly simple and straight forward (like, 5 or 6 blocks get used in total, if that)
  • Makes all of his patches via his Genlec monitors… for everything!! This is where he does ALL of his tweaking.
  • Has some seriously amazing skills and knowledge… no wonder he’s the main guitarist on The Voice!!!

Brett ‘Burgs’ Kingman:
  • Says he hasn’t used an amp for live shows in 6 years.. it’s been Fractal for that long!
  • Uses the FX8 straight into a stage monitor for the smaller stage/smaller gig shows, mainly for acoustic stuff.
  • Recommends to keep things simple; less is more, no need to have all these extra blocks if they’re not getting used.
  • Uses scenes for everything, and if memory serves correct, he only uses the one patch for the entire gig! (I could be wrong here.. maybe that depends on which artist he’s playing with).

• BOTH players use an expression pedal which serves as a multi-purpose tool (if memory served correct, they used their exp pedals for just about every song they played on the night)
  • BOTH players recommended a good FRFR setup because that will be the most accurate translation when performing live shows.
  • BOTH players recommended to tweak your patches at band-volume (if possible) to ensure your sound/tone transales that way it’s meant to. The Fletcher-Munson theory got brought up a few times too.
  • BOTH players make global EQ adjustments if/when need be. This resonated with me as I never knew this existed, let alone that it could be done. Very handy, will start experimenting with it.

These were the main things that stood out to me. If I’ve missed something or over-exxagerated on something, please feel free to add.

So, not all is lost for those of us who still struggle with getting good ‘oomph’ from FRFR. Have a good monitor/cab in front of you so that you can hear yourself and let the sound guy do his thing so that the crowd gets the best possible representation of your sound.

George

Michael Dolce:
  • Uses in-ears.

Brett ‘Burgs’ Kingman:

George

Oh fuck!! How did I not hear about this?!!! I would have loved to have gone. Melbournian here :(

Please tell me there is going to be another one? How can I hear about this next time so I don't miss out?

Oh ****!! How did I not hear about this?!!! I would have loved to have gone. Melbournian here :(

Please tell me there is going to be another one? How can I hear about this next time so I don't miss out?

Only heard/saw/read about it on Facebook mate.. Otherwise yeah, probably wouldn't have known otherwise

• BOTH players use an expression pedal which serves as a multi-purpose tool
  • patches at band-volume (if possible) to ensure your sound/tone transales that way it’s meant to. The Fletcher-Munson theory got brought up a few times too.
  • BOTH players make global EQ adjustments if/when need be

George

What FRFR cabs were they using?
What were the expression pedals used for specifically?
Was the global eq used to eq rhe room sound?

What FRFR cabs were they using?
What were the expression pedals used for specifically?
Was the global eq used to eq rhe room sound?

- The speakers used were the venue's house speakers.. the wedges were an Alto of some description, at least a 12' or 15'. They didn't look old, they looked relatively new and in good condition. Alto's have always made really good speakers, especially for FRFR from what I've seen and heard first-hand. (that said, they weren't all wedges, they were normal speakers that were positioned in a wedge position)

- Exp pedals were used to control/dial in how much, for example, delay would come in, or turn up the gain slightly etc etc. Was different from patch to patch.

- Global EQ for the room.. possibly.. not sure. They may have done that prior to everyone getting there..

Oh ****!! How did I not hear about this?!!! I would have loved to have gone. Melbournian here :(

Another Melbournian here to join the club. ;) I'm actually surprised how many have popped out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I also didn't hear about this - would be keen to go along to the next one. Was this organised and promoted by Independent Music (the Australian Fractal distributor)?

Back
Top Bottom