Bass and CLRs

smcrosby

Power User
Greetings Fractalites.

I've been a Fractalite since I met M@ at Dweezilla 2013, running my guitars through my Axe FX II, XL and AX8 into a pair of 500W Atomic NEO CLRs. This will be the first time I am running a bass (a 6-string Ibanez Prestige 5006 OL ) through the rig so it really gets down there in frequencies.

Ibanez Prestige 5006OL 6-Sting Bass.jpg

Anything I need to be wary of in terms of avoiding blowing out the 12" CLR speakers or can I safely crank it up to my heart's delight? :D

Last edited:
active or passive cabinets?
[edit]
If passive, what type of amp is driving the cabs? How loud do expect to be on stage?

If Active CLRs, then you may want to think about the various switch positions to see what handles the low string(s) best. I believe that the CLR has protection circuitry that will prevent any damage, but the sounds the CLR makes when it is at its low-end limits can be a little "yuck". When you hit that point, you'll need to pre-treat the bass signal (EQ/ limiting/multi-band compression) to get the most volume out of the cabinet, perhaps at the expense of leg-rattling low end. Otherwise, keep the level reasonable and place one of the cabinets closer to ear-level, which does wonders for keeping volume low and clean.

Last edited:
Got it! Thanks Jim and good hearing from you. It’s been a while. ;)

Yeah, other then pissing and moaning about the limited bass stuff being offered by FAS (yay for the B7k!), I'm no longer gigging the AxeFxII, and have gone on to use a much simpler, dedicated bass processor. I don't realize the benefit of all that the AxeFXII has to offer on bass for what I'm doing anyway since my needs these days are fairly modest, so a guitarist friend has happily taken ownership of my unit, and it sounds fantastic for guitar.

Yeah, other then pissing and moaning about the limited bass stuff being offered by FAS (yay for the B7k!), I'm no longer gigging the AxeFxII, and have gone on to use a much simpler, dedicated bass processor. I don't realize the benefit of all that the AxeFXII has to offer on bass for what I'm doing anyway since my needs these days are fairly modest, so a guitarist friend has happily taken ownership of my unit, and it sounds fantastic for guitar.

What’s your simpler dedicated bass processor, if I may ask, Mr. Fist?

What’s your simpler dedicated bass processor, if I may ask, Mr. Fist?

First the Zoom B3, but now the B3n gets the knod. I also use the Zoom G5n guitar processor (no bass-specific models on it), which has some extra features not available on the B3n. I was surprised that I could get on with the sonics of these pedals after having spent so much time with the AxeFxII. Shocked, actually. But given my limited needs, I kept my mind open, figuring that I'd eventually find something about the Zoom stuff that would be a deal-breaker for gigging, but it hasn't happened. Go figure.

First the Zoom B3, but now the B3n gets the knod. I also use the Zoom G5n guitar processor (no bass-specific models on it), which has some extra features not available on the B3n. I was surprised that I could get on with the sonics of these pedals after having spent so much time with the AxeFxII. Shocked, actually. But given my limited needs, I kept my mind open, figuring that I'd eventually find something about the Zoom stuff that would be a deal-breaker for gigging, but it hasn't happened. Go figure.

Cool, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom