How are the Celestion IR's?

i got a couple. V30's and greenbacks. they're pretty nice, but i found i got microphonic feedback with high gain sounds. you have to high cut them.

liked them at first listen, grew to not like them at all. sort of thin and lifeless to me.

Pretty much sums it up. I think there's a tendency to think at first, "they're from Celestion...they MUST be the best" but after a while you realize they're overall kind of harsh. As stated above, you have to cut the hell out of the high end to get anywhere with them. I bought the 4x12 packs of Greenbacks, Creambacks and V30's. The greens and v30's will tear your head off they're so bright. The creams are the best overall which is strange since I don't typically like them.

I've had better luck with cabir's IR's than anyone elses honestly.

IMO what they forgot to do was capture the character of the cab the speakers were loaded in when they captured the IR. Sounds like all speaker, no cab if that makes sense.

Last edited:
IMO what they forgot to do was calling the character of the cab the speakers were loaded in when they called the IR. Sounds like all speaker, no cab if that makes sense.
It does make sense, if you sample any of the speaker's Go to the closed back 1x12 closed back, 2x12 closed back, & 4x12 closed back the difference is marginal.

That being said, I do like them allot. They also mix well with other IR's

John

I got the greenbacks and the creambacks.i don't really prefer them but i frequently blend the room creamback 4x12 irs with whatever other ir i am using as the main ir.i find it helps a bit to get a nice "in the room" sound.

They are really good, good phase and wide sweet spot, different timbres to choose from but they are all smooth enough to EQ to whatever you need

Edit 23jan19. Comparing Wall of Sound to Celestion. Hadn't dug through RW big box or OH folders yet. Don't bother with Celestion.

Last edited:
i used the free test ir available on the celestion website but still prefer ( by far) the ownhammer

Worth getting?

Ummmm...no. OH is the pinnacle. ML I think of like Toontrack, it all sounds good but all very similar. Redwirez are OH equivalent in quality but they aren't as clinical, they sound very clear and sharp but you'll find more 'character' in Redwirez IRs than OH. depends on what you're going for sound wise.

Celestion did a great job at capturing what their speakers sound like, not so good a job at capturing the whole point of the thing...the sound of the cab.

Celestion did a great job at capturing what their speakers sound like, not so good a job at capturing the whole point of the thing...the sound of the cab.
I haven’t gotten this far yet in getting up to speed with my new and first Axe but...
Is it possible to “load” an IR into a specific cab in the cab block?

I haven’t gotten this far yet in getting up to speed with my new and first Axe but...
Is it possible to “load” an IR into a specific cab in the cab block?

An impulse response IS the cab+speaker+mic...they shoot a test signal through it, the mic pics up the test signal and prints what it heard, then whatever you send through the IR sounds like what the mic heard. You can load multiple IRs and mix them, pan them, filter them.

But if you mean to say can you load a specific speaker into a virtual cab...not in AFX3. In Amplitube they've got some deal that approximates loading up different speakers into a cab, it sounds ok but it's just an approximation.

Back
Top Bottom