FX8-Edit 1.7.0 Released

Michael Pickens

FAS Software Engineer
Fractal Audio Systems
FX8-Edit 1.7.0 is now live on the website and auto-update.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/fx-8-edit.php

Release Notes

New Features

1. Axe-Change is now accessible from FX8-Edit. Choose Axe-Change from the Tools menu. This will open an Axe-Change browser in a separate window to allow quick modifications to a newly downloaded Axe-Change Preset. (NOTE: Download functionality is only supported at this time.)

Man, I sure wish that nag screen would go away every time I save changes in preset manager. Yes, I get that if I rush over to the unit front panel and start diddling while the write is in progress that something bad might happen. Really, most human beings only need to be told that once. Please consider adding a "Don't show this to me again" option to that dialog box. Easy simple elegant solution. And the act of setting that option implies consent (intentional opt out), which should absolve Fractal of any legal liability if data is lost. I'd be shocked if this fix is even 10 lines of code.

Man, I sure wish that nag screen would go away every time I save changes in preset manager. Yes, I get that if I rush over to the unit front panel and start diddling while the write is in progress that something bad might happen. Really, most human beings only need to be told that once. Please consider adding a "Don't show this to me again" option to that dialog box. Easy simple elegant solution. And the act of setting that option implies consent (intentional opt out), which should absolve Fractal of any legal liability if data is lost. I'd be shocked if this fix is even 10 lines of code.
That warning is there to prevent unrecoverable changes from happening accidentally. In other words, you’re not screwed if you bump Save by accident. That’s saved my bacon more than once.

That warning is there to prevent unrecoverable changes from happening accidentally. In other words, you’re not screwed if you bump Save by accident. That’s saved my bacon more than once.
It's obnoxious. Once I know something, I don't need to be reminded of it repeatedly. I especially don't want my computer arguing with me. Repeatedly.

Again, a user-selectable option to not show it in the future works for all users. On by default, off by positive user action. People like me can avoid being nagged. People like you who enjoy the training wheels can leave them on as long as you like.

The current state of this UI feature is very poor UX. It need not be that way. We can both have our cake and eat it too.

I totally get wanting to have the option to turn it off. But its main purpose is to require a deliberate action by the user before irreversibly writing over presets. The warning about making changes on the front panel is only there because, as long as there's a dialog box open, why not?

Your objection seems to be the warning that they added to the dialog box. Would you be okay with it if it didn't include the warning?

I totally get wanting to have the option to turn it off. But its main purpose is to require a deliberate action by the user before irreversibly writing over presets. The warning about making changes on the front panel is only there because, as long as there's a dialog box open, why not?

Your objection seems to be the warning that they added to the dialog box. Would you be okay with it if it didn't include the warning?
I'm never within 3 feet of the unit when I'm working in FX8 Edit. I'm a power user. Wasted clicks and gumby alerts just piss me off. Again, the computer is a machine, I don't want it repeatedly arguing with me. Thou shalt not piss off your customer is practically the first law of business.

Also, adding a Do not show again option is a common as dirt way to handle this situation. It's a win-wn solution. Everybody gets to interact with the software the way they want to. Every software application on the planet uses something like it at some point. As I said earlier, I'd be shocked if it were more than 10 lines of code to implement.

Besides, I back up my presets, so if something bad happens, I'm always covered.

Back
Top Bottom