Pros Switching to Kemper

Moshermax9

I know probbaly posting this on the Fractal Forum might get biased answers, but I really just wanna bring up something I have noticed very recently with some bands. And would like to see what everone thinks about it. So I frequent watching alot of rig rundowns. I like to see what everyone is using, but when I see bands going digital I have seen a bigger influx of Kemper with people. Now I believe they just wanna use the profiler is because they already have very exdpensive heads , and don't wanna bring them on tour. Or Kemper must be offering some insanse discount to their artist to get them to switch. I even have notice some musicans who were using axe fx have switched. Some examples that I have seen who have switched is Sabaton who used Ax8s live to using Kemper Racks. And I just heard an interview from 2016 with Dino from Fear Factory discussing his amp set up. He even fumbles almost saying Axe Fx instead of Kemper. Now obviously the flipside you have bands like Metallica and who use them exclusivey. I love my Axe , and don't wanna switch. But would love to just get a general discussion of why this is occuring.

I doubt you have accurate and complete data on the number/percentage of pros using or switching to any particular gear. Anecdotal data is meaningless. The trees mean nothing for the forest.

I doubt you have accurate and complete data on the number/percentage of pros using or switching to any particular gear. Anecdotal data is meaningless. The trees mean nothing for the forest.
I am honestly not going off of anything besides what I have noticed really. I am not going by numbers. I just noticed even fractal players like Devin Townsend who praised it has even switched over. So wanted to get everyones take on it.

I could care less what other players are using. i am interested in what I am using, and have tried both Kemper and FAS. For me, FAS is the clear winner. I really strive to sound like me, not somebody else. Just my $0.02. It will be interesting to see what kind of comments this thread gets.

Fractal and Kemper have very different, and to my thinking, mutually exclusive philosophies. It doesn't surprise me that players like one or the other. I like the Fractal approach.

I am honestly not going off of anything besides what I have noticed really. I am not going by numbers. I just noticed even fractal players like Devin Townsend who praised it has even switched over. So wanted to get everyones take on it.
My take is that, since it is a very different product, some will prefer one over the other. The Kemper simulates a specific individual's specific setup. The Axe is far less limited, and is thus a much deeper rabbit hole.

I think of the Kemper as a camera, and the Axe as a canvas.

My take is that, since it is a very different product, some will prefer one over the other. The Kemper simulates a specific individual's specific setup. The Axe is far less limited, and is thus a much deeper rabbit hole.

I think of the Kemper as a camera, and the Axe as a canvas.
I think you have hit the nail on the head with that analogy !

Devin never "switched over". Live he uses both axe fx AND kemper together - there are a ton of you tube videos out there of Devin praising the axe - have you seen the home page of the axe fx web site ??

If I were making a record with conventional amp setups and planned to tour with lightweight gear, I would profile the setups during the recording process and use those Kemper profiles on tour.

It just so happens that I, personally, would record using the Axe in the first place. So I have an entirely different scenario to consider. Different tools for different jobs.

If I were making a record with conventional amp setups and planned to tour with lightweight gear, I would profile the setups during the recording process and use those Kemper profiles on tour.

It just so happens that I, personally, would record using the Axe in the first place. So I have an entirely different scenario to consider. Different tools for different jobs.

This is an interesting and excellent point. The reality that many players DO have head/cab/pedalboard setups that they like the sound of and are USED to using an hearing. My "opinion" is many people are not as well versed in the way to coax the AMAZING tones out of the Axe Fx. Even though the AMAZING tones are available.
Therefore, many "may" feel the Kemper provides an EASIER way to capture "their" sound.

For example, Metallica didn't program their tones by themselves, meaning James and Kirk weren't doing it. They didn't have to figure it all out and then set it all up. THEY HAD HELP, LOT'S OF HELP from guys who KNOW what they are doing. (guys from Fractal I believe).
I imagine getting the amp dialed in, tone matching cabs, basically getting the album sounds in general...

There are a handful of guys selling presets and profiles that are just amazing and have figured many things out. Saves time for the rest of us, yet costs to buy those. Then there's the rest of us that are learning as we go.

In the end, the Axe AND the Kemper have their uses and there is not right or wrong.
Choose the rig that fits you and your needs.
I have both, yet my Fractal gear gets MUCH more of my playing time, just sayin...YMMV

Devin never "switched over". Live he uses both axe fx AND kemper together - there are a ton of you tube videos out there of Devin praising the axe - have you seen the home page of the axe fx web site ??
I guess I am running off of just live usage in his case. Because knowing devin he loves gear, and would utilizy the axe as much as he can

I could care less what other players are using. i am interested in what I am using, and have tried both Kemper and FAS. For me, FAS is the clear winner. I really strive to sound like me, not somebody else. Just my $0.02. It will be interesting to see what kind of comments this thread gets.

Ditto and agreed. I've had two Kempers in my time and couldn't make it sound good. I just couldn't. Plus, that user interface is horrible to have to work with, and the on-board FX are a v e r a g e.

Ultimately, it really depends on what you're trying to achieve with it. Like @dpeterson said, perceived as easier to capture the exact sound they used in the studio with their tube rigs. If this is what you or those artists are trying to capture, then go for it.

Perhaps people/techs deep in the industry use Kemper and that’s “just how they do it” so working with new clients they do what they know and it works.

Remember that - generally speaking - pro musicians just want things that work. They aren’t always looking for the latest or greatest gear, they need to work, tour, go from city to city.

“Weekend warrior” types generally have more time to think, research and dream about gear, so they usually know more about gear than the guitar gods (not always but lots of times).

Gear is gear. When you have someone making your rig for you, they use what works and you just play your show, learn what buttons to press.

I saw a band here recently and they definitely had MFC101 and most likely Axe-Fx. But I really couldn’t care because they rocked the show so hard that none of it mattered!

I recorded most of the guitar tracks the Supernal Endgame album Touch the Sky Volume II using my Ultra. The only guitars that were not recorded with the Ultra were the acoustic guitar tracks (both nylon and steel string). Once I got my sounds dialed in with the Ultra, I saved those presets and then organized them so I could use them live. I purposefully tried not to tweak them much for live as I really wanted to capture what was done on the album and reproduce it live. To me the beauty of the Fractal was the ability to record in the studio and then reproduce them live. I'm not dissing Kemper, but if used correctly and to its full potential, the Fractal is an awesome tool for a recording/performing guitarist.

Last edited:
I saw 38 Special using Kempers for everything and they rocked and sounded amazing.

I saw both Metallica, Rush, and Styx use Fractals and they rocked live.

I saw The Cult use a mind numbing array of old school gear and they rocked live.

If you are a pro mechanic, whether you use electric tools to fine tune the super car or pneumatic tools to fine tune the super car, if you know how to use the tools to do what you need to do, then you are going to get the job done.

It's all about what makes you feel more comfortable when doing the job with less struggle. Different strokes for different folks.

The Axe is far less limited, and is thus a much deeper rabbit hole.
A Kemper-ite would say the Kemper is less limited because you aren't limited to the amps FAS has chosen to model. You can profile ANY thing! And as others have posted, many pro users have their own personal tube amp rigs that they can profile and take on tour. It might be a model in the AxeFX, but FAS didn't model THEIR amp... and a lot of amps sound unique, even across the same series. Pros want the sound of their EXACT amp.

That said, having been a Kemper AND an AX8 user, I'd say they're both pretty deep rabbit holes.

They both sound amazing. Benvigil hit the nail on the head. If you have a cherished amp or two that you absolutely must have when you go on tour, use the Kemper. If you don't have favorite amps and can sculpt a tone from pretty much anything, use the Axe. Hardly seems like any losers in this unless you need to justify what you're using to others. Plug in and rock on!!:sunglasses:

Back
Top Bottom