Synth block - voice 3

Make sure pitch source = local. For now just use intel. harm. mode and set key/scale to G Aeolian Min. Set voice 1/2 harmony parameters to 3 & 5. Send a G synth note into block and it will add the 3rd & 5th.

Thanks.
Done as suggested but unfortunately still doesn't sound as I'd expect.
Would you expect to heard a clear Gm chord - or am I expecting too much?

What about Custom Notes? 4?
Do I need to worry about what the default values are for Tonic, Note 2 to Note x?

A few more questions pls.
1] Would the suggested mix value of the pitch block be 50% (so that I still get the "sent" G note)?
2] Whats the best way to generate additional chords within the same preset (ie Dm & Cm) using scene .

here's a patch for you so you can see how it's done using the harmoniser

scene 1 = Am
scene 2 = G
scene 3 = F

you'll need to set up the amp, cab and other fx so you can play over the top

Attachments

• Am G and F in 3 scenes.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
Add another synth block below the one that's in there at 100% mix with the same settings except choose intervals -8 and -4 for bigger chords

Many thanks - will take a look ASAP.

When you say "except choose intervals -8 and -4 for bigger chords" - no t sure what you mean.
Sorry but I have no really music theory knowledge at all.

Many thanks - will take a look ASAP.

When you say "except choose intervals -8 and -4 for bigger chords" - no t sure what you mean.
Sorry but I have no really music theory knowledge at all.
He's talking about adding another Pitch block and using it to add two more voices for a thicker chord.

Last edited:
He's talking about adding another synth and using it to add two more voices for a thicker chord.

Oh?
The reason I'm surprised at that is that the synth block already present in the patch he sent, only used 1 voice of the 3 available. The other 2 are not generating any sound.

Reactions: Rex
here's a patch for you so you can see how it's done using the harmoniser

scene 1 = Am
scene 2 = G
scene 3 = F

you'll need to set up the amp, cab and other fx so you can play over the top

Thanks a lot for this - really appreciate it.
I ran it last night and produces chord sounds like I was expecting.
So that gives me a good platform to start "tweaking".

I'm struggling with the Scale/Key Theory side of things though (I'm just a thrasher basically - who plays what sounds nice without understanding why :) ).

So in this set up with the Intel Harmonizer set to Key = A with Scale = Aeolian Min :
- sending a single A note from the Synth to the Pitch (Int Harm) block produces 2 extra notes (C & E) to produce an A min triad chord.
Yet similarly:
- sending a single G note from the Synth to the Pitch (Int Harm) block produces 2 extra notes (B & D) to produce an G maj triad chord.
- sending a single F note from the Synth to the Pitch (Int Harm) block produces 2 extra notes (A & C) to produce an F maj triad chord.

Sorry for all the basic questions (appreciate this might be like to teaching a blind man to read) - but how does sending an A produce an Minor chord, yet sending a G or an F produce Major chords.

Could you help me tweak this to get Gm, Dm & Cm chords from this 1 preset pls.
(Is this possible in a single preset?)

It makes those chords because it's adding notes from the chosen scale. A Aeolian = all white keys on piano.

a-c-e, g-b-d, f-a-c

Set key to G Aeolian Min. to get Gm, Dm, Cm.

it's the intelligent harmoniser that's being used, so triads will vary from major to minor depending on the root note (that's being sent from the synth)

if you want all the chords to be the same, then use the fixed pitch shift and set the intervals to be +3 and +7. these are the number of semitones up that the generated notes will be from the root.

send the pitch shift an A and it will generate a C and an E. send it a B and it will generate a D and an F#

use the scene controller to adjust the pitches sent from the synth block in each scene. turn off the other fx while you're doing this and use a tuner

here, i did it for you....

Attachments

• Gm Dm and Cm in 3 scenes.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
Oh?
The reason I'm surprised at that is that the synth block already present in the patch he sent, only used 1 voice of the 3 available. The other 2 are not generating any sound.
You're right. Fixed in my post. Thanks.

it's the intelligent harmoniser that's being used, so triads will vary from major to minor depending on the root note (that's being sent from the synth)

if you want all the chords to be the same, then use the fixed pitch shift and set the intervals to be +3 and +7. these are the number of semitones up that the generated notes will be from the root.

send the pitch shift an A and it will generate a C and an E. send it a B and it will generate a D and an F#

use the scene controller to adjust the pitches sent from the synth block in each scene. turn off the other fx while you're doing this and use a tuner

here, i did it for you....

You're a good 'un mate.
Exactly what I was after.
Appreciate your patience too!
Cheers

Been having fun with this - thanks again for all the help.

Currently got 8 scenes set up so each plays a Major chord.

But... :)) there's always a but)... I'm trying to use an expression pedal to change the Pitch 1 block's Voice 1 Shift from 4 to 3 using a modifier.
This will then allow me to change each of those 8 chords to a Minor via the expression pedal.

But can't seem to work out how to configure the Modifier screen to switch between 3 and 4 (or 4and 3 either way).
Can't accurately set min & max due to the known limitations when attaching a modfier.
ie can only set : -24/-14/-4/6/16/24 or 24/14/4/-6-/16/-24

Any suggestions pls.?

Last edited:
Hold CTRL for half-step increments of min/max with arrow keys in Axe-Edit. Or use mouse (hold CTRL for fine adjustment in linear knob mode) or front panel.

THanks again - its working - but response is quite slow.

CPU loading is at 90% - can hi CPU impact an expression modifier's responsiveness?

Back
Top Bottom