Synth block - voice 3

bossredman

Inspired
Looking for some help with the synth block pls.

I'm trying to use the synth block and scenes to set up various Minor chord drones (ie tracking = OFF).

Im no music theory expert but read that a minor triad chord is the Root + 3 half steps + 4 half steps.

I got it working where I can get a chord playing with 2 notes using:
voice 1 frequency x & shift =0
voice 2 frequency x & shift =3

But when I add voice 3 with the shift set to 7 it sounds awful.

Does voice 3 work differently to 1& 2?
As with set to 7 it is not generating the 7th half step frequency/note-

Also...is what I'm trying to do sound right..... Is generate the 3 triad frequencies at once using the 3 voices.

Last edited:
What note is the third voice generating? Is it going seven semitones above the second voice rather than the first (being the root)?

The "shift" parameter moves the voice up/down from the "frequency" value. OP most likely has voice 3 freq. set differently from voice 1/2 freq.

It would be nice if there was an option to switch between Frequency values and Note values........And the 'Shift' parameter could be set to semi-tones or octaves?

Note letters for freq. could be convenient. Even if it just displayed the note (switching at 0 cents when ascending I suppose) with parameters as they are, it would be easier to target a pitch.

I'm not sure semitone/octave toggle for shift parameter would be very useful. Would it have a purpose other than saving a second or two when aiming for +/- 12/24 shift value?

Note letters for freq. could be convenient. Even if it just displayed the note (switching at 0 cents when ascending I suppose) with parameters as they are, it would be easier to target a pitch.

I'm not sure semitone/octave toggle for shift parameter would be very useful. Would it have a purpose other than saving a second or two when aiming for +/- 12/24 shift value?
What I was thinking was a 'Frequency/Note' toggle switch.

Then the 'Frequency' parameter knob would switch to a 'Note' selector knob.... 'A' thru 'G#' (defaulting to 'C'?)

And the 'Shift' parameter knob would change to an 'Octave' selector knob.....'0' thru '10' (defaulting to 4?) (C4, middle C)

I'm starting to feel like I'm in the 'Wish List' thread again.......:eek:

What I was thinking was a 'Frequency/Note' toggle switch.

Then the 'Frequency' parameter knob would switch to a 'Note' selector knob.... 'A' thru 'G#' (defaulting to 'C'?)

And the 'Shift' parameter knob would change to an 'Octave' selector knob.....'0' thru '10' (defaulting to 4?) (C4, middle C)

I'm starting to feel like I'm in the 'Wish List' thread again.......:eek:
Print this:
fig_2_1.png

Or even simpler, set frequency to an A (440Hz multiples or submultiples) and move from there by semitones

THanks for all the responses - I'll read them properly later when I get home from work.

One popped out though.
Ref:
The "shift" parameter moves the voice up/down from the "frequency" value. OP most likely has voice 3 freq. set differently from voice 1/2 freq.

I'm using Scene Controllers to create a different drone chord by Scene (the theory being I can create 8 different chords this way).
So I am essentially setting the frequency value as a %age (as that what Scene Controllers allow).

All voices are set to 40Hz BEFORE I "assign" the SC Contr & then subsequently the %age.
So that is the value that gets displayed even through the Dial is positioned differently per voice as its based on the %age.

But just remembered that Voice 3 has a different range (ie 20Hx to 20,000Hz) (range 19980 Hz)
Voices 1 & 2 are 40Hx to 4000Hz (range 3960hz)
So I guess a %age of 3960 is a lot different to the same %age of 19980.

Anyone know enough about the Scene Controllers to tell me to what value the SC Contr %age set is applied to.
ie is it always the full range of the Voice or is it the enter value in the Max - Voice value entered).

Last edited:
easiest thing to do is set tracking to off, set frequency to 440hz (which is an A) and then use the "shift" parameter to bump that note up or down in semitones. halve 440 to 220 or even 110 to take the original note down in octaves if you need to. no calculations needed. so if you need a C, just set shift to +3

easiest thing to do is set tracking to off, set frequency to 440hz (which is an A) and then use the "shift" parameter to bump that note up or down in semitones. halve 440 to 220 or even 110 to take the original note down in octaves if you need to. no calculations needed. so if you need a C, just set shift to +3

Agreed - that is easiest - but only gets me 1 chord per preset.
If I can get this method working I will have 8 chords available. Probably wont need that many - but 2 to 4 would be really cool & useful.

Yeah, that's what I meant :)

If I can get this method working I will have 8 chords available. Probably wont need that many - but 2 to 4 would be really cool & useful.
If you use a scene controller you can have at least 3 chords by attaching it to the shift parameter and use min, mid and max value of the controller to set the notes.

In alternative place an intelligent harmonizer with a custom scale after the synth and you can make all the chords you want using just one synth voice

Last edited:
Anyone know enough about the Scene Controllers to tell me to what value the SC Contr %age set is applied to.
ie is it always the full range of the Voice or is it the enter value in the Max - Voice value entered).

It's based on the min-max range. To fix problem from OP set voice 3 min/max as close as possible to voice 1/2 min/max.

firstly - voice three in the synth block has a wider frequency range than the others,, so the same settings of the scene controller will give you a different pitch if applied to the frequency parameter. that's why it's best to use the pitch parameter instead

secondly - fremen has already done all the work for you, as he has already done this in one of his atmosynth presets. 5 chords with 5 scenes. i think it may be in his preset pack, or on axechange

Looking for some help with the synth block pls.

I'm trying to use the synth block and scenes to set up various Minor chord drones (ie tracking = OFF).

Im no music theory expert but read that a minor triad chord is the Root + 3 half steps + 4 half steps.

I got it working where I can get a chord playing with 2 notes using:
voice 1 frequency x & shift =0
voice 2 frequency x & shift =3

But when I add voice 3 with the shift set to 7 it sounds awful.

Does voice 3 work differently to 1& 2?
As with set to 7 it is not generating the 7th half step frequency/note-

Also...is what I'm trying to do sound right..... Is generate the 3 triad frequencies at once using the 3 voices.
THE EASIEST WAY to get what you want is to run one single voice on the Synth Block and rout the output signal it into the Intelligent Harmonizer in the Pitch Block set to your desired scale. That way you can play different root notes with the Synth Block and always have diatonic triad, 3rds and 5ths or whatever intervals you want coming from the Harmonizer. I'll post a patch that does this.

THE EASIEST WAY to get what you want is to run one single voice on the Synth Block and rout the output signal it into the Intelligent Harmonizer in the Pitch Block set to your desired scale. That way you can play different root notes with the Synth Block and always have diatonic triad, 3rds and 5ths or whatever intervals you want coming from the Harmonizer. I'll post a patch that does this.

Thanks..never looked into the Harmonizer before so wasn't really sure on what it did or its full capabilities.
I'll take a look tonight - cheers.

secondly - fremen has already done all the work for you, as he has already done this in one of his atmosynth presets. 5 chords with 5 scenes. i think it may be in his preset pack, or on axechange

YEah - it was watching some of his video's that originally set me off down this path.

Unfortunately - I think all his patches need to be bought these days & I just can't afford to be buying presets at the moment.

In alternative place an intelligent harmonizer with a custom scale after the synth and you can make all the chords you want using just one synth voice

Hi - I've tried this but cant get it working.
If I want to get a G minor using this method - any pointers on exactly how I would go about it pls?

Hi - I've tried this but cant get it working.
If I want to get a G minor using this method - any pointers on exactly how I would go about it pls?

Make sure pitch source = local. For now just use intel. harm. mode and set key/scale to G Aeolian Min. Set voice 1/2 harmony parameters to 3 & 5. Send a G synth note into block and it will add the 3rd & 5th.

Back
Top Bottom