700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

Hi. No, I haven't tweaked your pack amps, just added some delays and reverbs. I have just connected AX8 to Matrix power amp and than to Q12 passive monitor, loaded your amps... I have to use hi-low cuts in the cab section, otherwise the sounds are not usable in a gigging volume with my band. I am just wondering why there is no hi-low cuts used in your presets? I mean at low volume they sound great on studio monitors, but in a gigging volume there is a lot to do... Oh, and I know about this "fletcher-Munson"... :)
For the record, the creator of the "Naked" amps is @austinbuddy , not me. :)

I was just relating how, to me, they seem to be well dialed in for live use. I mainly play through flown Electro-Voice mains and moderately-price Electro-Voice wedges in a moderately large venue. The presets I've played live have been winners in that environment, and they do a passable job in a quiet studio.

Note that the guitar can make a huge difference in how it sounds. Example: one of the Naked presets gave me +8 dB on the VU meters, even though they're dialed in at 0 VU. I tried another guitar, and I got close to 0 on the meters.

Last edited:
I have a question. I can get great sounds with AX8 via my UAD Apollo twin soundcard and my Yamaha HS5 studio monitors. But for giging I use Matrix GT1000fx amp and Matrix Q12 passive 112 monitor. Now, the tones that I have "dialed in" in my studio are not exactly the same. They are harsh sounding and too much bassy. On every of your "naked amp" I must use a lot of hi/low cut in the cab block. Why didn't you use any high cuts in the cab blocks of naked amps pack? I set the low cut arround 100-150 hz and high cut arround 6.5 - 7.5 kHz. There is still a lot of the top end harshnes, especially on those plexi type amps. Why is this so? Oh, I use the Suhr guitars with Elixir Optiweb strings. Do you think, that those strings are the reason for it? Especially the single coil pickup sounds are almost unusable. I begin to wonder if AX8 is using the same technology as Axe FX-II, or is it really just the less CPU capability on AX8.

Oh, I own many OwnHammer IR's and Celestion IR's and I think the factory cabs sound better to me. Am I the only one that thinks so?

Thanks for your answers.

Hello Neli: Will try to answer questions best I can. First, are you only using Output 1 of the AX8? Because if you are using Output2 as well, then understand there is NO cab present (FX Loop) and it sure will sound harsh and shrill with no cab into any PA or monitors! Just wanted to make sure of that before proceeding. I've sold many TonePacks and you are the first to register this issue; others are not hearing this problem you describe.

Second, I certainly do like using there Cab Block to dial out lows and highs for presets, but did not choose to do it here given the wide variety of ears and users involved. Very few real life cabs put out frequencies above 7khz. I even discussed with Fractal expert representative beforehand, to get their feedback on whether to use the Cab Block cuts too. That is the real reason I did not use the Cab block low/hi cuts beyond the 40hz cut which was recommended to me. There are few presets -- I can't recall which ones -- where I did tame highs if too fizzy with hi cut, but 80%+ of the presets have no hi cut. In reality, a CAB IR is an detailed EQ curve and does cut most of top end above 7k out on its own.

There are a handful of presets where the Cab Block cuts are different, but usually I left the hi cut alone and had the low cut at 40Hz or 50hz. You sure are free to change this any way you wish that you like. To help. if you use FracTool, you can do a "Batch processor" and change the Cab 1 setting hi cut or low cut across every Naked Amp TonePack preset to set it however you like.

Third, as far as plexis go, some vintage plexis (or even modern like JCM800 ones) ARE in fact harsh, raspy, trebly and top-end in real life played on the bright channel -- that is one reason they cut through a mix. Cliff has noted this "raspy" character in past threads about plexis. I've played many real vintage Marshall with bright caps -- that's part of what they do, although I dialed them to be warmer and not so harsh here.

The AX8 amp CPU is not the culprit for the presets sounding they way you describe (unless adding too many effects to TonePack preset) and I did dial in the AX8 presets on the AX8 itself. I doubt it is the strings or guitar (Suhr) but does it sound better if you turn the tone control down, or still sound bad?

The QSC monitors are, to me, a little bottom-heavy frequency and can be woofy to my ears, BUT I know because Dweezil Zappa uses them (he likes that woofiness).

So I am not sure where in signal chain the issue is coming from, but I'm confident it's not the TonePack presets as created if not modified, else this thread would be lit up with unhappy buyers. You might want to be sure your gain staging is right (see my video).

You can private email me if that helps at heybuddy@austinbuddy . com

Hello Austin,

Bought your Tone Pack two days ago and I am falling in love with so many different tones and amps!

However, how would you recomend creatingt a lead boost for one of your presets? I know you say not to touch the amp block's volume or output, but how would recomend creating a lead boost?

Seano:

So glad you love them!

If I were trying to set up a lead versus the leveled preset volume, I'd probably use Scene 2 amp over Scene 1, and I might play with the drive block on/off to see how that sounded (don't want too much gain; you do want sustain though). FET block for example.

Then I'd go into the Output Mixer block, select Scene 2 in it, and boost the overall volume output for Scene 2 about 3 to 3.5 db for loudness. It still should NOT digitally distort on most cases because of the preset's built in headroom.

Then when you hit Scene 2, it will punch out for solo!

Hope that helps!

AN UPDATE FOR TONEPACK USERS CONSIDERING UPGRADING TO FWQ9.0

Today I spent several hours A/Bing multiple presets the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, comparing the preset sounds digital signal output from my AX8 (FWQ8.02) and my XL (FW 9), using an A/B box to switch between the units.

There ARE changes to the overall Tones on presets in FW9.

Here's a soundclip with about 7 examples. There are seven amps compared from dirty to clean:

1. Hook 2b
2. Friedman Small Box
3. Vox AC15
4. Plexi 100 Jumped
5. Vibroverb AB (first)
6. Blackface Princeton
7. Vibroverb AB (first)

In each one, the first amp is the AX8 wth TonePack as designed/programmed (FW 8.02).

In the second, you hear the same TonePack preset, from an XL updated with FW9, AND with SPKR COMP set at 5.0 and maybe a slight raise in the Amp Level (to compensate for Fletcher-Munson curve, need preset at equal volume).

These are both SP/DIF digital signals with no processing coming into my board, using an A/B box to switch from same guitar.

I'd love to hear your guys reactions to the sound differences?

To my ears, the public FWQ9 update applied to TonePack FWQ8.02 presets makes the FW8.02 created tones, to varying degrees, brighter and sharper, less mid-focused, and so in some ways "less rounded" than the Tonepack pm FW8.02. The 8.02 created-tones sound more organic (truly for lack of a better way of putting it).

FWQ9 has taken away any prior amp page speaker (motor drive, motor constant, speaker drive) stuff that was in FW 8.02 of course, and it defaults to zero for new SPKR COMP if you load the TonePack.

The closest thing I can get to replicating globally the FW 8.02 TonePack sound is to turn UP the new SPKR COMP in FW9 up to 5, and then increase the amp LEVEL control by at 1 to 2 db louder to compensate (try to get it to measure -12db on DAW channel or console).

This Amp Block LEVEL adjustment very much seems amp dependent unfortunately and not something that works across the board/ll presets. While the above helps a lot and does smooth out the sound some compared to zero SPKR COMP value in FW9, it still has the overall EQ effect I described above -- it does NOT make it exactly like the preset sound in FW 8.02. Something in the overall amp EQ has changed slightly to my ears.

On Firmware 9 release notes, Cliff said of SPKR COMP:
<< This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression. >>

So for current TonePack users, I'd probably highly advise staying with FW 8.02 and not going to FWQ9 if you want the TonePack tones to sound "as designed, dialed-in and intended" for now. I personally am going to stick with 8.02 for now myself on my AX8.

If you go to FW9 with the Tone Pack, then I advise you

1) put SPKR COMP at 5.0 and adjust to taste;

2) the higher the SPKR COMP level you chose, the more you will have to raise the Amp LEVEL to compensate to get your preset back to a -12db overall average output level (see my video), and

3) dial the treble or presence back some, mids up a little, and bass to taste on any TonePack Amps you like to use for recording or gigs.

As the needed tools become available over the next month or two (Axe-Edit and Ax8-Edit compatibility with FW9, AND critically Fractool compatibility) I will see if anything can "fix" this for an updated TonePack download for customers -- but right now there is no one thing I can advise that does so, other than the 3 steps above or staying on FW Q8.02.

-AustinBuddy

Rehearsal tonight was:

Suhr Strat > AX8 running just one preset! @austinbuddy’s JV Strat preset. With volume on 5 I had solid clean tones with nice bite and a TON of range to roll it up to mean and loud.

I haven’t had tones this good in ever.

Big, stupid grin on my face all night. Nothing got lost in the mix. Just stellar sounds.

Why haven’t you bought this pack yet? What are you waiting for????

Hey @austinbuddy do you do anything with the drives in your preset packs? Sorry if I missed this.

~ss

1. All presets have a drive block in them
2. The drive block defaults to OFF for both scenes -- you have to turn it on.
3. The drive block for the Cleans-Only Bank are generally clean boosts and really sound great/make those sounds SHINE even more -- try them!
4. The other drive blocks in Vintage/Boutique Bank and Modern Bank will vary between a Klon-type, a RC Boost, a fuzz, clean boost, or tube screamer type.
5. Not every single drive block is dialed in, but most of them are. There are some with Tube Screamer at 5.0 default. Plus some amps don't need a drive block to sound great!

Hope that helps!

Do you still advise not celebrating Firmware Thursday and keep AX8 at 8.02?
I do not believe @austinbuddy has had a chance to check the latest out, as he is traveling this week ...and course I wouldn’t speak for him, but I did update, and so far, I am not sorry...it appears that on all or most of the Naked amps presets, the new Spkr Comp is zeroed out, so you can experiment and see what works for you...I’ve been using around 3 on the Spkr Comp, with 100 time....which is what I believe the AMP reset technique does.. but if you want to keep that sweet buddy amp tweakage . It appears no reset is necessary ...but we are all looking forward to hearing what the Buddster has to weigh in with.

Thanks. I'll stay in a holding pattern. I haven't even run through all the amps yet. Sort of get in a groove on certain amps and don't have desire to hit "patch up."

Thanks. I'll stay in a holding pattern. I haven't even run through all the amps yet. Sort of get in a groove on certain amps and don't have desire to hit "patch up."

Yes, sorry for delay, been away all week on family stuff. Back this weekend and will compare 9.01 to 8.02 and let you know what I think. It remains that 8.02 is optimal for the TonePack presets since they were designed on it. Cliff says it should be the same on 9.01 with additional SPKR COMP to taste. It wasn't on 9.00 (see my sound clip test) and I preferred 8.02 to 9.00. Fingers crossed that 9.01 will be great and require no tweaking other than SPK COMP to taste, as some others posting seem to think is okay. Will report back by Sunday night.

Will you be updating your pack? I had thought about making the plunge.

Hi: see my post above yours. There may be no need to update TonePack between 8.02 and 9.01 version (but not 9.0, that was different sound), checking into that over this weekend. The key is FracTool being compatible with new parameters, so can set SPKR COMP value as a batch, that is not possible yet...

Also, here is what Cliff said about 8.02 versus 9.01 -- but I have not tested it myself yet.
CLIFF: SPKR COMP AT 0 . 8.02.png

Last edited:
(Quick report...still have to test AX8)

Just as Cliff said, confirmed tonight at least for XL, XL and presumably Mark II, the latest Firmware 9.01 is identical to 8.02 in tones/sounds for the 700+ Naked Amps Pack. (Firmware 9.0 was NOT).

Tested several amps tonight comparing the same Naked Amp presets my XL on FW 9.01 to FW 8.02 on my AX8, using an A/B box to switch. They dozen or so I tried of varying amp types sound the same in each unit.

So this is great news for existing TonePack users for XL, XL+ and Mark II.

1) The 700+ Naked Amps TonePack presets should sound the same if you update the firmware to FW 9.01

2) You do not have to make any main amp page adjustments to compensate; I did not use the advance amp page parameters in the Naked Amp presets on the Speaker Drive page.

3) Per preset, you can dial in the SPKR DRV and the new SPKR COMP to taste if you like. Remember, the SPKR DRV and SPKR COMP will default to zero.

The more SPKR COMP you use, the more you may have to increase the LEVEL of the amp block up (higher) to compensate "Make-up gain" to keep your overall signal level coming out at -12db (see my video on the subject).

Now, I have NOT updated the AX8 yet to firmware 9.01 to check it; will do that Sunday and report back, but I don't expect there to be any differences.

YES!

Just as Cliff said, confirmed tonight the latest Firmware 9.01 is identical to 8.02 in tones/sounds for the 700+ Naked Amps Pack. (Firmware 9.0 was NOT).

Tested several amps tonight comparing the same Naked Amp presets my XL to a fresh installed FW 9.01 on my AX8, using an A/B box to switch. The randomly selected two dozen or so I tried of varying amp types sound the same in each unit.

So this is great news for existing AX8 TonePack users!

1) The 700+ Naked Amps TonePack presets should sound the same if you update your AX8 firmware to FW 9.01, but as always, make a back up of all your presets before you update to a new firmware -- you can always go backwards that way and revert back. I still like 8.02 just fine.

2) You do not have to make any main amp page adjustments to compensate for TonePack sounds in FW 9.01 versus 8.02; I did not use the advance amp page parameters in the Naked Amp presets on the Speaker Drive page.

3) Per preset, you can dial in the SPKR DRV and the new SPKR COMP to taste if you like. Remember, the SPKR DRV and SPKR COMP will default to zero. So this is really "you decide what you like here."

Do note: The more SPKR COMP you use, the more you may have to increase the LEVEL of the amp block up (higher) to compensate "Make-up gain" to keep your overall signal level coming out at -12db (see my video on the subject). On the LED panel of your unit, you should see a make-up gain LED that is a good clue to how much it is compressing (and thus how much you should turn up the LEVEL to compensate).

Last, The AX8 TonePack does have a few differences in TonePack sounds to the XL/XL+ or Mark II, because the XL and Mark II Version can use mics in the cab section and I sometimes do use those mic choices to enhance the amp sound (but not always -- if the Factory IR is a mix or good single mic IR, there is not an additional mic). Yesterday and today was A/Bing identical TonePack presets in my AX8 and XL (like at AC15 in both, Tweed Deluxe, ENGL, Small Box, DC30, Plexi, Hiwatt, Dual Rectifiers, Clean Vibroverb, Bogner XTC, etc) and sometimes hit a sound discrepancy and wondered -- found each time, it was due to the absence of the mic selection in the AX8 cab block. When I pulled the assigned mic out of the XL Cab, then the sounds were the same on XL and AX8.

Bottom line: if you are happy with 8.02, still no need to update. But if you want to update to 9.01, you can and you will not lose amp settings with the Tonepack/no changes.

one question about the austinbuddy presets,do you guys install all presets or only the presets you guys like?i have lots of great presets in my AX8 in that is why im asking.

Back
Top Bottom