Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you liked 8.02 you'll love 9.01. There is no need to reset anything. Just adjust the Speaker Compression and Speaker Time Constant to taste (default values are 3.00 and 100 ms respectively).

Adding:

Installing 9.01 Beta will not adjust the "Speaker Comp" and "Speaker Time Constant" values in your presets by itself.

For example, in all my presets "Speaker Time Constant" (Advanced page) was still set to 200 ms after updating to 9.01 Beta. This was the default setting for the Motor Drive algorithm in firmware 8.02, which now has been removed from the Amp block. The new default value of this parameter in 9.01 for the Speaker Comp algorithm is: 100 ms.

So, I changed this parameter to its new default value in every preset manually. @AlGrenadine 's handy FracTool app provides batch functionality which automates this.

Note that a full reset of the entire Amp block will also change these parameters to their default values, but: a reset is NOT necessary per se.
Re-selecting the amp type in the Amp block (soft reset) will NOT change these parameters to their default values.

Last edited:
Adding:

Installing 9.01 Beta will not adjust the "Speaker Comp" and "Speaker Time Constant" values in your presets by itself.

For example, in all my presets "Speaker Time Constant" (Advanced page) was still set to 200 ms after updating to 9.01 Beta. This was the default setting for the Motor Drive algorithm in firmware 8.02, which now has been removed from the Amp block. The new default value of this parameter in 9.01 for the Speaker Comp algorithm is: 100 ms.

So, I changed this parameter to its new default value in every preset manually. @AlGrenadine 's handy FracTool app provides batch functionality which automates this.

Note that a full reset of the entire Amp block will also change these parameters to their default values, but: a reset is NOT necessary per se.
Re-selecting the amp type in the Amp block (soft reset) will NOT change these parameters to their default values.
......so how did it sound at the gig?????

Well, I've discovered the new firmware threads yesterdays and decided to take some time to install it today on my Axe 2 XL.
I was on firmware 8.02 and jumped directly to 9.01b.
After the firmware was installed I tweaked the speaker comp parameters in my two main presets and I did reset motor drive to zero in my cab blocks. While playing I adjusted some tone parameters (not many change : twisted some volume knobs in the amp blocks and moved slightly some mids parameters in amp block and PEQ block). The sound is just great, no disappointment.
Now that I've been playing with speaker comp / motor drive, I realise I may have pushed motor drive too hard with 8.02. It sounds more dynamic and lively now. Not sure if this is because of the new firmware or because the firmware change pushed me to review my parameters.
Maybe both !
So far 9.01b is validated for me.

If you liked 8.02 you'll love 9.01. There is no need to reset anything. Just adjust the Speaker Compression and Speaker Time Constant to taste (default values are 3.00 and 100 ms respectively).

Thanks so much for your reply, I will try it this afternoon:). I wish I were more of an engineer, but it is what it is, unfortunately. So are you saying default was 3.0 and 100ms respectively in 8.02? If so, then I wouldn't need to adjust to taste as I was already satisfied I had the best tone in the world? #missingmytone

Thanks so much for your reply, I will try it this afternoon:). I wish I were more of an engineer, but it is what it is, unfortunately. So are you saying default was 3.0 and 100ms respectively in 8.02? If so, then I wouldn't need to adjust to taste as I was already satisfied I had the best tone in the world? #missingmytone
You don't need to adjust to taste. But you might want to. :)

When something's been changed, that change was made to affect the tone. If the tone has been affected...that's a change. :)

Adding:

Maybe my ears are getting old.....but i recogniced an audible difference by x/y comparing the same amps (reset - copying my settings).Mmh.......

There was no "Speaker Compression" in 8.02, 8.02 had "Motor Drive" in the Amp block and its default value was 0 (off).
8.02 had "Motor Time Constant" in the Amp block and its default value was 200 ms.
In 9.0/9.01 "Motor Time Constant" in the Amp block has been replaced with "Speaker Time Constant" and its default value is 100 ms.

Tip: don't focus on numbers. Try to learn what they mean and what they do.

In case of doubt, it is never wrong to start from scratch, even if a reset is not really required.
  • Take a look at the Amp block and write down non-default settings.
  • Reset the entire Amp block (double-click Bypass, or in Axe-Edit click Block > Initialize. All parameters are now set to default.
  • Make sure that Motor Drive in the Cab block is set to zero, when using studio monitors / FRFR amplification.
  • If you were not using Motor Drive in the Amp block in 8.02, then set Speaker Comp to zero.
  • Dial in the Amp block.

8.02 - 9.00 - 9.01 -> Is a RESET needed? The quick answer is NO.

- A reset is just a means to set parameters to a certain value.
- As soon as you install the new firmware the old firmware is gone and overwritten
- So a reset is not setting the old firmware to the new firmware.
- A reset is only changing particular settings of parameters.

And there are a few ways to do so. This is explained in details in the wikipages. And Yek has made a section on this topic.
Search for more details in the Forum or in the Wiki pages.

The only change in algorithms in 9.00 and 9.01 is the interaction of the speaker with the amp and can be found in the AMP BLOCK

If you set Speaker Comp at 0 (zero) the sound & the behaviour of Q8.02, Q9.00 & Q9.01 is the same..

DEFAULT SETTINGS:
upload_2017-10-29_13-33-58.png

As soon as you set the Speaker Comp above 0 (zero) and to the trained ear it can have an impact you preset and the way it has been build. Meaning that if you have set up any preset in another firmware it can or will impact your sound & behaviour. An algorithm has changed, so there is a difference no matter what. In this particular case it's ONLY the interaction of the AMP with the SPEAKER.

For the most accurate behaviour : set motordrive to 0 (zero) in CAB block and use the AMP block Speaker Drive
(and play with the values to see what it does and how it sounds best for you. (again: the above settings are the default settings)

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_13-28-11.png
    upload_2017-10-29_13-28-11.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 22
  • upload_2017-10-29_13-31-52.png
    upload_2017-10-29_13-31-52.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 23
There was no "Speaker Compression" in 8.02, 8.02 had "Motor Drive" in the Amp block and its default value was 0 (off).
8.02 had "Motor Time Constant" in the Amp block and its default value was 200 ms.
In 9.0/9.01 "Motor Time Constant" in the Amp block has been replaced with "Speaker Time Constant" and its default value is 100 ms.

Tip: don't focus on numbers. Try to learn what they mean and what they do.

In case of doubt, it is never wrong to start from scratch, even if a reset is not really required.
  • Take a look at the Amp block and write down non-default settings.
  • Reset the entire Amp block (double-click Bypass, or in Axe-Edit click Block > Initialize. All parameters are now set to default.
  • Make sure that Motor Drive in the Cab block is set to zero, when using studio monitors / FRFR amplification.
  • If you were not using Motor Drive in the Amp block in 8.02, then set Speaker Comp to zero.
  • Dial in the Amp block.
Maybe you should set the reset after Firmware in a Sticky as this subject is returning every firmware ;)
(just saw your comments after I did mine)

Just a note:
I had a preset built in v9.0...with 3 blocks
one amp block: usa clean
one cab block: user type
one reverb block

I changed the amp's eq type to 8 ch type, made tweaks and saved the preset
After updating to v9.01, the eq was defaulted back to the mesa 5 ch type

Crap coming out of my "std" DLR (VIB DLR) patch. Tried everything reloaded thamp twice, nothing to do. Reloaded 8.02; sounds OK. Guess this is the risk of installing betaware. Input gain on 3 and input trim on 1.7, for the rest only std settings and 160-6500 output bandwith. Some underlying distortion, very uggly. Guess fixed bias amps need some rework.

Crap coming out of my "std" DLR (VIB DLR) patch. Tried everything reloaded thamp twice, nothing to do. Reloaded 8.02; sounds OK. Guess this is the risk of installing betaware. Input gain on 3 and input trim on 1.7, for the rest only std settings and 160-6500 output bandwith. Some underlying distortion, very uggly. Guess fixed bias amps need some rework.

Your post is incomprehensible. I don't know what "'std' DLR (VIB DLR)" means. Maybe you can post the preset.

i think he means Vai / DLR (dave lee roth). i have the same preset, i think. i can't ry it though as my axe is packed up at the mo

post it, lauke

Wow! This update sounds really, really good.

Absolutely floored with how good it sounds FRFR.

I’m sure this is probably something to do with the design of the amp, but I have to crank the speaker compression control all the way up in order to get about -2.8db of speaker compression on the IIC++, with the default master volume setting (5/10).

With the master volume at half-way, I expected I’d be able to get it to compress up to -6db in order to get within the normal speaker compression range of some types of speakers.

But anyway it sounds fantastic, so it’s not a complaint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom