Axe vs Plexi 100w

Narzugon

Power User
I thought this vid was cool. 100w Plexi and 4x12 with everything on 10. Pete had people come in and play the first thing that comes to mind. A few things immediately came to my mind when I watched this vid:

1: In most clips they let you hear the camera mic and then switch to the mic on the cab. The camera mic is a good example of the chaos in the room. But when they switch to the mic on the cab, it suddenly sounds like the AxeFx. I know I'm stating the obvious but I thought this was a great example to reinforce "in the room" sound vs "mic'd cab".

2: I got the impression that some of these guys have never done this before. Some looked frightened, some didn't know what to expect or that you don't turn the guitar vol up and pause before playing. But overall I think everyone had a euphoric experience (as they should).

3: I'm getting old. I grew up when everyone traveled/gig'd clubs with at least a 50w and 4x12 (bare minimum). I'd practice at concert volumes for the feel and response or just to get my rox off. If you've never experienced even a 50w Marshall type amp at these volumes, do yourself a favor and spend some time with one. You'll be a changed person. \m/

Edit: Thanks for posting the initial link Mr_Fender! Added the video to the OP as initially intended by my frail mind.

Last edited:
Saw that last night. Pretty awesome. 100 watt amp into a 4x12 cranked all the way in a small glass lined room... Ouch! My ears are ringing for them.

Here's the vid:

Ouch wow ouch indeed. Have 4x12 and 100 watt marshall amp and 10 is something i never do as my ears think its loud enough way below that as do bandmembers.

My ears love crancked amps in axe fx though haha ;)

All I can think of is that it must be downright painful in that small room. So glad we have digital options that can deliver that sound without killing your hearing.

Best part is the guys that are used to high gainers and not wrangling volume with the guitars squeaking like a rubber duck in the bath tub.

guess you are getting old (and forgetful) as you forgot to include a link to the video, lol

lol too damned funny! The bad thing is I almost forgot it once, went back, copied the link and got distracted before pasting it in. Geeze.... Added to OP.

Great tone, but if they didn’t already have tinnitus before, now they do....

I’ve dimed my bassman and plexis before, and even with my shooting earmuffs on it was painfully loud. Can’t imagine listening to that without hearing protection. Might as well ask someone to discharge a shotgun next to your ear, or stick your head into a jet engine

What fun!

Only once have I been able to do this. It was an Amp Fest we had in Denver at one of the folks Studio's (circa 2007?.) It was *merely* a 50 Watter, but there was something about it wide open that was just incredible.

You're right Geeze...we have it in the little black box. I turn up regularly to these volumes on the dimed SLP just to remember what it feels like...which is...AWESOME.

Years ago we were rehearsing and I was using my Peavey VTX MX combo. 100W combo amp POS. All of a sudden a power tube went and the amp let out an ear-splitting squeal. Everyone ran from the room. The amp was still in there squealing and I figured I needed to shut it off or the speaker or OT would blow. I ventured back into the rehearsal room and the intensity of the sound made me dizzy. I stumbled toward the amp as the room was spinning. After nearly passing out I was able to flip the power switch. It left a lasting impression as to just how powerful a tube amp is and how much they can damage your hearing.

Last summer I watched an old Jimi Hendrix concert film. I can't remember where it was filmed but my brain is saying some university. He warned the people in the front row that it was going to get painfully loud before walking to the amp and cranking it. Then he melted their faces.

I once borrowed an used JCM800 from a store to check it out at home. A few minutes in, it started making the loudest buzz ever heard, with bright blue flames dancing inside the power tubes, illuminating my whole room. JUMP to the amp and turn it off, scared shitless.

"I didn't like this amp, it's posessed."

Later I got a 1975 JMP that was totally useless too, because it would shake the house down when used, and neighbours from a mile wide radius complained. But I have to admit that blasting that full stack from my back porch into the forest sounded amazing! That reverb was unforgettable.

That is some scary dedication to amps you have. I have no idea what an OT blowing is like but it must be pretty nasty (mini nuke or opening mini portal to hell?)

Years ago we were rehearsing and I was using my Peavey VTX MX combo. 100W combo amp POS. All of a sudden a power tube went and the amp let out an ear-splitting squeal. Everyone ran from the room. The amp was still in there squealing and I figured I needed to shut it off or the speaker or OT would blow. I ventured back into the rehearsal room and the intensity of the sound made me dizzy. I stumbled toward the amp as the room was spinning. After nearly passing out I was able to flip the power switch. It left a lasting impression as to just how powerful a tube amp is and how much they can damage your hearing.

Yeah! I enjoyed this video...Colin's face is priceless! Mary is the smartest of all the bunch...take care of your ears my friends!

Back
Top Bottom