Steve Vai, Carvin, and Fractal

I would like to see the old X-series and V3 modeled if Cliff decides that it's worth the effort.
I've asked for the X-100 a few times before without much luck. surprised Dweezil hasn't sent one in or asked for it as it played a big role in Zappa's tone...

Maybe the problem was marketing. Not being in Guitar Center is gonna kill ya. People need to try stuff out before they get into it, usually, even with very liberal return policies, like they had.
Liberal return policy? Carvin?
In the event that you wish to return a new item to CARVIN CORP for exchange or refund within the 10-day trial period, call our customer service department at 858-487-1600 to receive a RA Number (return authorization number). Refunds are not offered beyond the 10-day trial period. Item(s) being returned must postmarked for return within the 10-day trial period or no refund will be given. Products that are not made by CARVIN CORP, or custom orders are subject to a 15% restocking fee under the 10-day trial period. If your product had a free shipping offer, we will deduct the original shipping charge from your refund for all non defective refund requests.
10 days, customer pays shipping both ways. You'd be hard pressed to find a less lenient return policy.

Speaking of going out of business... I went to Guitar Center today... Miserable bastards

I can't complain because at certain stores I get the total hookup- but today went to their newest store in the chain- a store I'm personal friends with the general manager of- the staff was had below average gear knowledge, no desire to sell- or any interest/enthusiasm about music gear.

ALSO- everyone's acting like Carvins guitars were something to rave about- they weren't bad- but have no resale value- an $1800 custom guitar is worth $200-350... and I had to unlike the current brands page on facebook- their posts got annoying- but more annoying was all their knocking off of everything else out there... like- there's a whole line of strandberg knockoffs... and they're bragging like anything they've done is original-

I'm all about a good deal but 25% is hardly worth buying up stuff from a defunct company- no support- no hope- no future- might as well pay full price and have something you can do something with.

ALSO- everyone's acting like Carvins guitars were something to rave about- they weren't bad- but have no resale value- an $1800 custom guitar is worth $200-350... and I had to unlike the current brands page on facebook- their posts got annoying- but more annoying was all their knocking off of everything else out there... like- there's a whole line of strandberg knockoffs... and they're bragging like anything they've done is original-

I'm all about a good deal but 25% is hardly worth buying up stuff from a defunct company- no support- no hope- no future- might as well pay full price and have something you can do something with.
This isn't a terrible way to see it all. They aren't shutting down by accident; they certainly bear responsibility for not being able sustain the business.

Liberal return policy? Carvin?

10 days, customer pays shipping both ways. You'd be hard pressed to find a less lenient return policy.
For a made-to-order guitar that was pretty good. You could put whatever idiot options you wanted and they'd still take it back.

I've bought 3, and see them all the time- they're out there- (luckily I found one of the dudes that custom ordered it in the first place and sold it back to him)

Ebay and Reverb is top dollar- ebay used to be 'low end used' now with a world market- it's top dollar

Where I'm from- asking more than $400 for even a $2000 Carvin- you'll sit on it for years... a few pawn shops here and in vegas have got stuck with them (they look online, overpay- have no way to get rid of them) and they'll unload them at a loss- $200 max

The problem with CUSTOM- is that they're custom to who ordered it and wanted it- and not for everyone else in the world- I saw someone selling a used carvin for $1800 i built on their website for $1600- you can ask all the money in the world- but Carvins are bad investments- not bad guitars- great guitars and they're set up better than any other guitar from the factory- but- custom can hurt the value....

Fender CUSTOM SHOP isn't really custom shop- they pick/they decide/holds it's value

But I see people not even able to give away many carvins on the used market- there might be a small pool of people overpaying on ebay and reverb but there's a bigger market of people who can't get rid of them

Got any links? I wouldn't mind picking up one or two... or six. :p
Yea, me either! I have certainly come across sub-$1000 Carvins on TGP from time to time, but nothing as low $400 or less.

Searching TGP for Carvin: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...7/&q=carvin&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=22

$895 for a Kiesel Bolt (that looks a helluva lot like the Suhr I just bought...) -
$1350 for a Carvin Carve Top CT6
$900 for a Bolt
$575 for an ST300 that's been scratched up and priced accordingly
$900 for a DC-6 with a killer quilt top

So, if you want a banged up ST300, you're getting close to $400...

Such bad investments then why is everyone ranting and raving over keisel guitars? Only difference is the name.

The "Fractal Effect" refers to companies who make tube guitar amps beaten into bankruptcy.
[now I'm giggling.. ;) ]

So what was it called before Fractal? I'm almost positive some tube amp companies folded prior to Fractal's conception.

So what was it called before Fractal? I'm almost positive some tube amp companies folded prior to Fractal's conception.

The Sampler Effect. When music started being made by sampling previous recordings rather than creating it with multiple instruments.

Speaking of going out of business... I went to Guitar Center today... Miserable bastards

I can't complain because at certain stores I get the total hookup- but today went to their newest store in the chain- a store I'm personal friends with the general manager of- the staff was had below average gear knowledge, no desire to sell- or any interest/enthusiasm about music gear.

Note that there seems to be a higher value and quality level with the Kiesel guitars than with the Carvin branded ones.

It was called the "we sucked at business" effect. ;)
But that was never my point that carvin died because of fractal. It was simply a side bar comment that like it or not
if you sell a million axe-fx units, a few amp companies just might go out of business, dig?

It was called the "we sucked at business" effect. ;)
But that was never my point that carvin died because of fractal. It was simply a side bar comment that like it or not
if you sell a million axe-fx units, a few amp companies just might go out of business, dig?

I was just having fun with you man. I found it funny but I agree. Between Fractal, Kemper and L6, I'm sure a few less amps have been sold. I call it the Kemtal6 effect.

Back
Top Bottom