Mic CAB instead of going DI?

One thing I should note is im the only guitarist in our band and i run stereo via the MIMIQ pedal to get a double tracked or two guitarists sound. Its possible that my guitars are getting lost bc im in stereo not mono. Gonna try some new ideas out this weekend with the band and REALLY see what sounds better in a live setting. There is one setting on the MIMIQ I haven't tried live yet, its mode two which is wet/dry/wet basically so im still stereo but I would gain back that dry signal in mono down the center. Maybe that'll help.
Big red flag here!!! Is the FOH in stereo or mono? Running the MIMIQ in mono will cause phase issues that could be causing it to sound thin FOH.

Covering the front couple of rows can be tough with no back-line.
  1. Are you using the Mackies at the shows? Are they setup as wedges if front of you? Or as back-line?
  2. Can you get the other members to take it down a notch and be 'team players'? (I know, good luck with that)
I used the Mackies as backline not wedges. and ya hahah bassist does not wanna change lol I can't blame him i mean we all put in the time effort to get the tones we are after so I don't want to ask him to change it but ya I do feel like maybe turning down a bit would help.

Big red flag here!!! Is the FOH in stereo or mono? Running the MIMIQ in mono will cause phase issues that could be causing it to sound thin FOH.

I'm definitely running the MIMIQ in stereo, I know exactly what you you are referring to though and I have made triple sure that FOH either runs my DI as a stereo pair or two MONO channels panned hard. Also for leads I created scenes that turn off one amp and pan it back center so ALL of my leads are in MONO and cut through where and how they should. This allows me to leave the MIMIQ pedal on all the time, it lives in my rack drawer along with my OD and compressor pedal. They are all ALWAYS on.

those mackies will never push the same air as your cabs and if you bass player is using a regular bass amp he is pushing tones of air. you can always use the cabs just for some stage air and still die to FOH for the crowd

Update:

I A/B'd my DI tones and my Mic'd CAB tones and honestly the MIC'd CABs sounded better coming out of the PA, but I still didn't want to deal with mic'ing cabs every show.

I realized the nuances from the Mic'd cab sound was most likely the speaker drive, room, air and of course the mic characteristics. So i cranked the speaker drive in the cab block (MUST turn down amp for this bc it will get loud) set room level to 100 and room size to 1. Then I put mics on the cab block (best combo of two for Stereo cab block) and set proximity level as desired and it just opened everything up. Sounded practically identical (waaaay better though).

I'm using the ML DJENT cab pack FYI, and I have no idea why but when I added MICs to these already amazing sounding CABS it just WORKED. I highly recommend you try this out. Our Bassist actually had to turn up hahah so CABS on stage and DI to FOH still. YAY!

Last edited:
Update:

I A/B'd my DI tones and my Mic'd CAB tones and honestly the MIC'd CABs sounded better coming out of the PA, but I still didn't want to deal with mic'ing cabs every show.

I realized the nuances from the Mic'd cab sound was most likely the speaker drive, room, air and of course the mic characteristics. So i cranked the speaker drive in the cab block (MUST turn down amp for this bc it will get loud) set room level to 100 and room size to 1. Then I put mics on the cab block (best combo of two for Stereo cab block) and set proximity level as desired and it just opened everything up. Sounded practically identical (waaaay better though).

I'm using the ML DJENT cab pack FYI, and I have no idea why but when I added MICs to these already amazing sounding CABS it just WORKED. I highly recommend you try this out. Our Bassist actually had to turn up hahah so CABS on stage and DI to FOH still. YAY!
I use power amp and cab on stage, DI direct to FOH. I first set my stage sound to the best I could with my tones for each preset used. Then I went direct to FOH and have an EQ block at the end of the FOH chain. I tweaked that EQ until the stage volume FOH speakers sounded very similar to my 4 x 12 Mesa cab. One thing I had to do what cut some lows and highs because of the subs booming and the HF drivers creating a lot of shrill. Now when I DI to a strange PA, I just tweak the EQ and never touch my stage channel. Works flawless for me.

Update:

Your right that the mic characteristics is coloring the tone (exactly why people shoot IR's with lots of different mics as they all sound different) but honestly when your close-mic'ing a guitar speaker, your not getting the characteristics of the room et al., your getting the direct sound measured right by the cone. This of course is a different sound that what your ears hear where where standing, unless of course you actually play with your ear inches from the cone (ouch)

All those virtual mic models are is just different EQ curves too, but they are a nice tone shaping tool, and frankly, its just as easy to try different ones, as it is to otherwise EQ the sound.

As is and has always held true, the sound of a mic'd guitar cabinet, and the sound of an IR, are essentially the same thing. The sound of a cab in a physical space, heard from a given listening location, does not sound like an IR (avoiding a debate over far-field IR's) but that isn't a sound you can capture and deliver to a FOH PA. You instead are sticking a mic right in front of the cab, so your back to the sound of an IR.

You can adjust the tone based on mic used, where you position the mic, on or off-axis, distance etc, just as you can select different IR's, same thing at the end of the day for all intensive purposes

Glad you found a cab block setting that is thickening up your tone to where your pleased with it though.

"Close enough" is a beautiful thing, because it means you can not worry about trying to get that mic positing just right every night, and instead just recall your dialed in preset

I use power amp and cab on stage, DI direct to FOH. I first set my stage sound to the best I could with my tones for each preset used. Then I went direct to FOH and have an EQ block at the end of the FOH chain. I tweaked that EQ until the stage volume FOH speakers sounded very similar to my 4 x 12 Mesa cab. One thing I had to do what cut some lows and highs because of the subs booming and the HF drivers creating a lot of shrill. Now when I DI to a strange PA, I just tweak the EQ and never touch my stage channel. Works flawless for me.

Similarly, I have thought about putting a global EQ on all my patches and using a pedal to roll up/down frequency boosts or cuts. Good idea, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom