700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

I bought this pack especially for the bonus presets, but was just blown away by the whole thing. You nailed so many sounds that I had in my head and couldn't get from the unit myself. Please do more of these, especially the artist inspired presets. I could think of so many I'd love to see!

Thank you for the kudos! I may do some more artist inspired presets this fall. I have three specific Eric Johnson (current rig) ones I really like and am tweaking up.

BTW, if you guys like Steve Vai, check out the Carvin/Vai amp presets Scene 2 in the pack -- that's pretty much his lead tone on things like Love of God/close...

In the modern amps, I'm loving with the Suhr Badger models...my Scene 2 Badger 18 with a Klon-emulation drive pedal and a Tele bridge pickup is "one pissed-off" sounding amp!

I'd really enjoy making a smaller size TonePack of just vintage-y Marshall and Fender tones, and started one a while back but never finished it. While the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack has two scenes/examples of each amp, there are some amp models that you literally can get 8 or 10 useful and great sounds out of, using different gain, B/M/T, and drive pedals.

A '59 Bassman is like that, as is a good Marshall Plexi with multiple channels. Hiwatts are especially fun with pedals/play well with them.

I'm open to ideas for future presets packs, but I am bit reluctant to do artist presets, because the way they play, their guitars, pickups, strings, pedals, speakers etc. can have so much effect on the sound ...that a preset created and nailing an album tone dead-on, made here in my "Electric BuddyLand" studio with FRFRs and proper gain staging and leveling, still might disappoint someone playing through a power amp and cab hoping to use it in a live context. Those are very different things -- live use versus recording. I'd use more treble and sculpted mids in recording, and less bottom. For live, I'd push all the mids -- lower, upper, and "middle" mids more, but not too shrill on top/smooth that off more -- usually in the cab block by cutting off anything over 7-8K or so, sometimes lower if fizzy sounding.

My overall approach is to dial in each preset from an artist, with recorded reference, until the preset sound inspires ME...then leave a day or two then come back and see if it still inspires me -- then I know it's right and hopefully would inspire YOU!

Reactions: Rex
Thank you for the kudos! I may do some more artist inspired presets this fall. I have three specific Eric Johnson (current rig) ones I really like and am tweaking up.

BTW, if you guys like Steve Vai, check out the Carvin/Vai amp presets Scene 2 in the pack -- that's pretty much his lead tone on things like Love of God/close...

In the modern amps, I'm loving with the Suhr Badger models...my Scene 2 Badger 18 with a Klon-emulation drive pedal and a Tele bridge pickup is "one pissed-off" sounding amp!

I'd really enjoy making a smaller size TonePack of just vintage-y Marshall and Fender tones, and started one a while back but never finished it. While the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack has two scenes/examples of each amp, there are some amp models that you literally can get 8 or 10 useful and great sounds out of, using different gain, B/M/T, and drive pedals.

A '59 Bassman is like that, as is a good Marshall Plexi with multiple channels. Hiwatts are especially fun with pedals/play well with them.

I'm open to ideas for future presets packs, but I am bit reluctant to do artist presets, because the way they play, their guitars, pickups, strings, pedals, speakers etc. can have so much effect on the sound ...that a preset created and nailing an album tone dead-on, made here in my "Electric BuddyLand" studio with FRFRs and proper gain staging and leveling, still might disappoint someone playing through a power amp and cab hoping to use it in a live context. Those are very different things -- live use versus recording. I'd use more treble and sculpted mids in recording, and less bottom. For live, I'd push all the mids -- lower, upper, and "middle" mids more, but not too shrill on top/smooth that off more -- usually in the cab block by cutting off anything over 7-8K or so, sometimes lower if fizzy sounding.

My overall approach is to dial in each preset from an artist, with recorded reference, until the preset sound inspires ME...then leave a day or two then come back and see if it still inspires me -- then I know it's right and hopefully would inspire YOU!

As long as you are putting out these amp packs, I'll be buying. I've had over a week with them now, and every single one sounds fantastic. You've done a great service for the fractal community. Thanks, Buddy! :)

I will be buying this today. I can't wait until I can try these presets out.
Hope you got a lot of free time...I was one of the first to purchase these and I haven't even scratched the surface of the content...cuz one has the tendency to stay on one preset for a while..they all sound Bitchen!

I'm usually hesitant to purchase preset packs but I took a chance and I would buy these for the Tweed and Brown Fender presets alone. Well done!

I'm usually hesitant to purchase preset packs but I took a chance and I would buy these for the Tweed and Brown Fender presets alone. Well done!

Thanks so much! So thus everyone is more than pleased - love beating expectations! I know those amp sounds cold from the years spent lurking and noodling about Austin Vintage Guitars.

Stay tuned, because Fractal and I may have vintage Blackface and Tweed cab pack coming out this Fall, the IRs pair exceptionally well with the Naked Amp presets -- that's how did the IR mixes in it!

Ok, I took these out for a live test today. Earlier in the week I took one of the Divided by 13 presets, the CJ I think, and built out the effects chains I needed around what Austin built and ended until with 4 presets with 4 scenes each. I didn't modify his amp or cab settings whatsoever for his scenes and used the clean/rhythm/lead style layout he defaults to.

Venue was a very large multi-campus church in the ATL area. The last time I played here
my presets weren't optimal and I know the FOH engineer did a lot of tweaking to be happy with what I gave him. Today it was hands off by the engineer, nothing but compliments by the sound team and I had what I thought was the best tone in my IEM's, standing up proudly against a Matchless and 65 Amps mic'd in iso boxes.

I just wanted to say thanks. I travel almost continuously for my day job and don't have the time I'd like to perfectly dial in the AX8. These have given me a big head start when I need it.

Thanks man!

. Today it was hands off by the engineer, nothing but compliments by the sound team and I had what I thought was the best tone in my IEM's, standing up proudly against a Matchless and 65 Amps mic'd in iso boxes.

I just wanted to say thanks. I travel almost continuously for my day job and don't have the time I'd like to perfectly dial in the AX8. These have given me a big head start when I need it.

Thanks man!

Your are welcome! That's the idea here -- with this 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, the amps are truly "FOH-ready" to go, professionally level3ed and sounding like real amps right out of the box. You just tweak with your effects and scenes or lead boost, etc.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience here with other forum users!

Here's a short video of Austin rock guitarist Lance Keltner checking out 10 of the presets from the "Modern Amps" bank in the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack collection. Enjoy!

I'll add another short video of Lance playing amps from the Vintage & Boutique amp bank soon.

As promised, here is a short video of Lance Keltner playing the tones from the Vintage & Boutique bank of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack.

Now, who said a Fractal can't convincingly emulate a good old vintage or expensive Boo-Teek amp? ;)

Just posted in AX8 forum a video of the methodology of how to set presets levels correctly for live and recording use, something I did in for the 700+ Naked Amps Tonepack and a secret as to why they sound so good.

Use this knowledge for making your own presets!

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/austinbuddy-video-how-to-properly-set-preset-levels.131243/

It's also on the AustinBuddy YouTube channel, carved up into 3 shorter parts; the above video is the whole thing, 17 minutes long.

Hi,
I'm just buying your presets Pack, but i would want to know one thing please.
If a follow your video of "setting presets levels correctly", and i have an AX8, i should only put the "out level button" at maximum.Anything else ?
You have calibrated every presets for a use in a DAW for a -12db ?Thank you in advance.
And have a good day.

Hi,
I'm just buying your presets Pack, but i would want to know one thing please.
If a follow your video of "setting presets levels correctly", and i have an AX8, i should only put the "out level button" at maximum.Anything else ?
You have calibrated every presets for a use in a DAW for a -12db ?Thank you in advance.
And have a good day.

That is what I would recommend -- max the out1 main knob. Here is a video explaining all of this. I did calibrate the presets to come in at an average -12 db across the board. If you have really heavy humbuckers or really light single coils the actual db may very a little bit up ro down, but not materially and will sound fine.

Thank you very much for the reply.i know that all advice is include in the video, but i 'm french and even i understand the video, it's not my family language ;) so i prefer asking question.
So all is ok form me. Tomorrow, i will buy your pack.
Thank you again.

Hi,
I bought your pack this afternoon, and i must say: Congratulation !!!!!
The pack is exactly what i need for a long time.
It's a real pleasure to discover some new amp. Your custom presets are also very great and very interesting to see how you tweak your presets.
The only thing i regret , (but it's not your fault) , it's the choice of factory Cab. I believe that we are numerous to think that the Factory Cabs are not good enough.
Each times i change for my Dr Bonkers Dirty Shirley 1X12, your presets are so...great !
Have ever try it ? this cab is so good with all amp, clean, crutch and more....
I have a question again, is each preset is your perfect definition of the amp ?

Slashy: so glad you love the TonePack!

To answer your questions...

I tried to dial the amps in the way I thoughy they sounded best to me (2 scenes per preset) but there are many more amp settings possible... for example, I could get 8 or more great sounds out of a Tweed ‘59 Bassman — or a Plexi... but there is a limit to how many sounds I could fit into each bank and still cover all 259 amp models in three banks!

Yes, I agree that using other cabs can make the presets sound even even better. But is was necessary to stick to factory cabs for all users. Definately experiment!

I plan to offer some new Cab Packs very soon with Fractal in fact. The first will be called “Black and Tweed.”

Hey! Anyone have any NEW favorite amps they discovered (or re-discovered) from diving in and using the Naked Amps TonePack with your AX8 you want to share here?
Hi. I like many amps you have dailed in "naked amps pack". I am a fan of Tow-Rock amps at the edge of break-up and than I add some overdrives and boosts. :) I have a question. I can get great sounds with AX8 via my UAD Apollo twin soundcard and my Yamaha HS5 studio monitors. But for giging I use Matrix GT1000fx amp and Matrix Q12 passive 112 monitor. Now, the tones that I have "dialed in" in my studio are not exactly the same. They are harsh sounding and too much bassy. On every of your "naked amp" I must use a lot of hi/low cut in the cab block. Why didn't you use any high cuts in the cab blocks of naked amps pack? I set the low cut arround 100-150 hz and high cut arround 6.5 - 7.5 kHz. There is still a lot of the top end harshnes, especially on those plexi type amps. Why is this so? Oh, I use the Suhr guitars with Elixir Optiweb strings. Do you think, that those strings are the reason for it? Especially the single coil pickup sounds are almost unusable. I begin to wonder if AX8 is using the same technology as Axe FX-II, or is it really just the less CPU capability on AX8.

Oh, I own many OwnHammer IR's and Celestion IR's and I think the factory cabs sound better to me. Am I the only one that thinks so?

Thanks for your answers.

Now, the tones that I have "dialed in" in my studio are not exactly the same. They are harsh sounding and too much bassy.
Do yo mean tones that you've tweaked to sound good through your HS5's? Those will always sound harsh and bassy when they're cranked up to gig levels. Google "Fletcher-Munson" and all will be revealed. :)

I've gigged some of @austinbuddy 's Naked presets Just as they came out of the box—maybe some delay or other effect added, or a bump on the gain—with great results. [/QUOTE]

Do yo mean tones that you've tweaked to sound good through your HS5's? Those will always sound harsh and bassy when they're cranked up to gig levels. Google "Fletcher-Munson" and all will be revealed. :)

I've gigged some of @austinbuddy 's Naked presets Just as they came out of the box—maybe some delay or other effect added, or a bump on the gain—with great results.
[/QUOTE]
Hi. No, I haven't tweaked your pack amps, just added some delays and reverbs. I have just connected AX8 to Matrix power amp and than to Q12 passive monitor, loaded your amps... I have to use hi-low cuts in the cab section, otherwise the sounds are not usable in a gigging volume with my band. I am just wondering why there is no hi-low cuts used in your presets? I mean at low volume they sound great on studio monitors, but in a gigging volume there is a lot to do... Oh, and I know about this "fletcher-Munson"... :)

Back
Top Bottom