MFC-101 Mk III issue with constant "Restore? Press ENTER" on every power up

rhummellh

Experienced
I'm constantly having MFC-101 Mk III issue with constant "Restore? Press ENTER" being displayed on every power up. I can't seem to do anything other than hit ENTER which wipes out all my new settings. I don't know why it always does this. I only know as per MFC manual that if you want to do that then hold switch #11 down when powering up. How do I stop this from being displayed after every power up and resetting? I have fw 3.08 loaded.

Thanks,
Rich

My first guess is that your switch #11 is sticking??

Try cycling the switch a dozen times or so while it is 'Off' and then try powering it up. Repeat that a couple of times maybe?

Reactions: Ole
My first guess is that your switch #11 is sticking??

Try cycling the switch a dozen times or so while it is 'Off' and then try powering it up. Repeat that a couple of times maybe?
Thanks Moke,
I tried that no joy. I was actually playing with one of your presets, Vai live when I read this, lol. I also verified that sw#11 works fine when I have it in a preset, I was able to turn it on and off various times with no issue so I'm thinking that tells me sw#11 is fine. I even disconnected the FASlink and used the separate power supply, no joy there. I will try an reassign sw#11 and then maybe update to 3.09PB and see what happens then.

Thanks brother!
Rich

Thanks Moke,
I tried that no joy. I was actually playing with one of your presets, Vai live when I read this, lol. I also verified that sw#11 works fine when I have it in a preset, I was able to turn it on and off various times with no issue so I'm thinking that tells me sw#11 is fine. I even disconnected the FASlink and used the separate power supply, no joy there. I will try an reassign sw#11 and then maybe update to 3.09PB and see what happens then.

Thanks brother!
Rich
Let us know if that(3.09) worked for you!

Had the exact same issue today.. Cables and connections all good, using FASLINK, had to reset it like 3 or 4 times in a row because it kept acting up, set things back to how they were, but it kept freezing up, as in none of the switches would do anything at all without forcing me to reboot the axe fx.. My #11 and 12 (Parameter) switches both work fine for turning on and off effects within presets, but they do NOT move the cursor when trying to change an IA switch to perform other functions. So I finally got pissed and smashed it and then ran it over with my SUV... So now I gotta buy a new one. But with the Mark lll malfunctioning like that, it's useless anyway.. Axe ll XL+ is on Q8.02 and MFC mark lll was on 3.08.. Guess that's what I get for buying a used MFC.. The Axe Fx ll XL+ has been great though, zero problems or issues whatsoever, the MFC, not so much.

Last edited:
So I finally got pissed and smashed it and then ran it over with my SUV... So now I gotta buy a new one.
Eh? Really? Huh. Probably just needed a switch cleaning. There's a documented procedure for the capacitive touch silent switches on the MkIII here. But...

giphy.gif

LMAO @ the GIF.. :D Good one.. I'm sure I deserve that.. lol Switches and everything were good, not dirty, nothing. I couldn't figure it out, and I'm more than familiar with this kind of gear.. Only thing I could conclude was it was just something faulty with the MFC itself, so just replacing it with a brand new one with a warranty is probably the best bet to assure it doesn't have the same issues. I've had all the switches lock up several times forcing a reboot and the parameter switches never worked to move the cursor ever since I got that MFC.. So something has seemed off about it since I got it.. It was in like new condition and barely used when I bought it so I really wouldn't have thought it would do that kind of stuff.. It is built like a tank..

Last edited:
LMAO @ the GIF.. :D Good one.. I'm sure I deserve that.. lol Switches and everything were good, not dirty, nothing. I couldn't figure it out, and I'm more than familiar with this kind of gear.. Only thing I could conclude was it was just something faulty with the MFC itself, so just replacing it with a brand new one with a warranty is probably the best bet to assure it doesn't have the same issues. I've had all the switches lock up and several times forcing a reboot and the parameter switches never worked to move the cursor ever since I got that MFC.. So something has seemed off about it since I got it.. It was in like new condition and barely used when I bought it so I really wouldn't have thought it would do that kind of stuff.. It is built like a tank..
Talk to Fractal before you go loco on the next one. They're very good, even to second and third generation owners. https://support.fractalaudio.com/ to file a ticket.

Beau,
I meant to respond earlier to your post but in hindsight I'm glad I didn't because I only read what was showing on my mobile screen on Sunday. So as far as I knew you had the same problem I had. Today, I actually read the whole message and was LMAO with the SUV incident. If I had done that, as you say they are built like tanks I'm sure I would've gotten a flat or something. Had to feel good for a bit, lol.
I figured it was an faulty IC and don't have schematics to troubleshoot to component and fixing so I ended up sending it in to Fractal. Unfortunately my 1 yr warranty expired but it had always did that. Fractal was awesome in that they repaired it the same day they received it and shipped it out that day. It cost 80.00 for labor and 7.50 for the IC plus shipping.
===== WORK PERFORMED =====
~~~MFC101 MKIII~~~ Replaced IC and tested. $80.00 labor, $7.50 part(s)

Rich

That's good to know. It was definitely a very stupid and costly mistake on my part, one which won't happen again. Glad you got a laugh out of me running it over with my SUV, I myself had a LMAO moment at the table flipping GIF that was posted above in response.. Out of curiosity, I plugged in the MFC just now and it actually still powered on, display was still perfect and it lit up, although it was completely frozen and no IA switches did anything. So yes they are definitely built like tanks. Next time I will just contact Fractal and deal with the awesome folks there instead of throwing a fit. On another note, I uploaded and tried the Q9 Beta yesterday on my XL+, and it's awesome, I'd say it's a nice improvement over 8.02 sound and feel wise across the board, I'm sure the final release will be amazing. ;)

I didn't even know they released beta 9. I checked yesterday and didn't see it. I will hook up my Fractal to the PC, that's how I got it before it showed up on Fractal site.

I didn't even know they released beta 9. I checked yesterday and didn't see it. I will hook up my Fractal to the PC, that's how I got it before it showed up on Fractal site.
Look for the forum thread that announced it. You won't find it any other way.

Back
Top Bottom