Converting 44.1 to 48 khz without affecting audio? (for Cubase)

pepsodent

I work in Cubase, and I've got lots of music made in 44.1 khz. I've discovered that if I want to reamp with my Axe Fx I have to do it in 48 khz, since that's the only supported format for the Axe.

That's a big headache seeing as I can't convert my 44.1 files into 48 khz without affecting the audio (pitch and tempo changes seem inevitable). Is there any way for me to convert my 44.1 project to 48 khz without messing it up so I can reamp in context to everything I've done prior?

Basically; I wanna reamp in 44.1 khz, OR I want my old files in 41.1 to work when I reamp in 48. What do I do?

Last edited:
I work in Cubase, and I've got lots of music made in 44.1 khz. I've discovered that if I want to reamp with my Axe Fx I have to do it in 48 khz, since that's the only supported format for the Axe.

That's a big headache seeing as I can't convert my 44.1 files into 48 khz without affecting the audio (pitch and tempo changes seem inevitable). Is there any way for me to convert my 44.1 project to 48 khz without messing it up so I can reamp in context to everything I've done prior?

Basically; I wanna reamp in 44.1 khz, OR I want my old files in 41.1 to work when I reamp in 48. What do I do?

From steinberg.help:
While most Project Setup settings can be changed at any time, you must set the sample rate directly after creating a new project. If you change the sample rate at a later stage, you must convert all audio files in the project to the new sample rate to make them play back properly.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_a.../project_handling_project_setup_dialog_r.html

Don't know about sample rate in cubase, but You could reamp it in an analog way...

This seems like an easy way out so that I don't have to bother with sample rates at all. I've just never understood how you do it. I would need to have it explained to me as if I was 5 years old because I've tried wrapping my head around it browsing this forum and never got the hang of it. USB has worked out but then I get this sample rate issue so I might have to relearn reamping from scratch.

I might add that I have a Scarlett 2i2 sound card and I've been told that I can't use it for analog reamping because it only has two outputs.
Scarlett-2i2.jpg

True or not? :)

I use Sonar, and you have to run a 'script' to convert a folder full of clips to whatever you want. you may be able to do the same thing.

It's very simple in Cubase. You go into Project/Project Setup and you change the sample rate to 48.000 Khz. It will ask you if you want to convert the sample rate of the audio files. Click on "yes". It will ask you if you want to keep audio samples at their positions. I'm not sure what that means. maybe do a test run first. Also it will ask if you want to keep the source files or replace them. that's up to you.

Not sure how you are converting the files but tempo and pitch should not be an issue unless maybe you are forcing the interface into 48k but leaving the files at 44.1. I do not know cubase but in pro tools you can export into a new session and convert to a different sample rate. The Daw handles all the pitch and timing issues.

It's very simple in Cubase. You go into Project/Project Setup and you change the sample rate to 48.000 Khz. It will ask you if you want to convert the sample rate of the audio files. Click on "yes". It will ask you if you want to keep audio samples at their positions. I'm not sure what that means. maybe do a test run first. Also it will ask if you want to keep the source files or replace them. that's up to you.

Doing this causes my 44.1 files to change pitch, speed up and lose their original position. Tried it before! Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Not sure how you are converting the files but tempo and pitch should not be an issue unless maybe you are forcing the interface into 48k but leaving the files at 44.1. I do not know cubase but in pro tools you can export into a new session and convert to a different sample rate. The Daw handles all the pitch and timing issues.

Hmm. Changing from my standard Scarlett audio interface to my Axe as an interface messes with my tracks because I indeed do seem to force Cubase into operating at 48 (if that's what you mean), while the original files are 44.1. Everything that has to do with converting my 44 files to 48 has the aforementioned effect. Starting to slightly lose my mind at this point I'm afraid :confused: I must be doing something wrong when converting. I honestly don't know.

Doing this causes my 44.1 files to change pitch, speed up and lose their original position. Tried it before! Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Then you aren't doing what I said. I just did it to as a test. i changed it from 44Khz to 48 back to 44 and then to 96. Neither the pitch nor speed changed on any of the changes.

Then you aren't doing what I said. I just did it to as a test. i changed it from 44Khz to 48 back to 44 and then to 96. Neither the pitch nor speed changed on any of the changes.

Well, that's just good news for me then. I'll write out exactly what I'm doing in detail later today when I get off work. Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm on Cubase Artist and not Pro? Very confused right now. I want to think that I do it just the way you did.

Well, that's just good news for me then. I'll write out exactly what I'm doing in detail later today when I get off work. Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm on Cubase Artist and not Pro? Very confused right now. I want to think that I do it just the way you did.
Yes that could be it. I was thinking you were on Cubase Pro. If you just change the sample rate of audio files it will do what you're talking about, i.e. speed up and change the pitch. Cubase Pro allows you to do what I'm saying. I checked the product comparison chart here....
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/comparison.html
but I don't see specifically if your version does or doesn't do what we're talking about.

You have to resample the files, not just change the sample rate. Use the audio file size (in bytes) and length (in seconds) as an indicator. If the file size is the same or close to it and the clip length in seconds is shorter after you do the conversion to 48kHz, it was not resampled and playback will be off. Resampling from 44.1k to 48k will add additional sample data and increase the file size by about 8%, but the clip length in seconds should not change at all.

again I know nothing of how Cubase works. I'm not sure what limitations artist may have. Do you know if you can export all the files individually into a folder? If so, if no other option you could probably do the conversion in reaper if Cubase can't. Someone else here may need to chime in on how you do it in reaper as I haven't used reaper in a long time. Reaper's trial period is basically unlimited and there are zero features locked from it so this won't cost you a dime.

Just a little sales pitch here. There is almost nothing you can't find a way to do in Reaper. If you haven't already learned your daw too much it might be a good option to consider. 60 bucks gets you years of updates too. For me I learned everything in pro tools so having to learn a new program just didn't fit into my schedule but I have highly considered the transition due to the amount of money I am spending for a hobby.

I finally managed to reamp in 48 khz without affecting any of my files :) I fiddles around for a while and tried what you guys suggested, and at last everything seems to be playing ok (after changing the sample rate on my sound card from 44.1 to 48 and exporting my old files into a new project which seemed to work somehow).

Hopefully someone else finds this thread if they're having the same issues. I'll return if I get into trouble later on. Thanks for the input guys!

This issue was solved on cubase 7,think this was the issue Devin Townsend had on Lamb of God´s As palaces burn record.

There is a pretty cool hardware tool that is now quite cheap. The old apogee Rosetta's, I have a 200, have SRC (sample rate conversion) in addition to being able to change formats. So, i.e., you can go from 44.1 spdif to 48k AES, from optical to analog... these boxes cost $1500 10 years ago and now sell for a few $100 on EBay since Apogee walked away from PC and you were stuck w/ FW interface that nobody needs anymore. However, it makes an awesome Swiss Army Tool for sample rate And format conversion. Probably not necessary as you can also do this in the box but it's a cool tool

Back
Top Bottom