Recording Wet & Dry Tracks

nlee89

Hi,

I'm new to recording and wanted to know if I have configured my setup correctly. I am planning on recording all my wet and dry tracks then sending them to an engineer to mix and master. I am using Reaper and recording at 44.1 kHz 24 bit.

My setup:

Wet tracks: Axe Fx Ultra Output 1 (left) > Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Input 1

Dry tracks: Axe Fx Ultra Output 2 (left) > Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Input 2

Within my Axe Fx patches I have inserted an FX Loop to record my dry tracks simultaneously. I've heard that I am supposed to pan the dry signal and was wondering if I am doing this correctly? Right now I have the balance turned all the way to the right.

Here's a screen shot:

axe_edit_1.jpg

Before adjusting the balance I noticed my dry signal mixed with my wet signal.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Remove the shunts after FX Loop and set its balance center (or left, but not right). The path from input block to FX Loop is what routes dry to Out 2.

Note that any input gating will be applied to dry track. You may want to disable input gate and (if needed) use a gate/exp block in the processed chain.

"Level 1" and/or "Main" parameters in FX Loop can be used to increase DI signal level. For analog recording you may want to use these if it's initially fairly low.

Remove the shunts after FX Loop and set its balance center (or left, but not right). The path from input block to FX Loop is what routes dry to Out 2.

Note that any input gating will be applied to dry track. You may want to disable input gate and (if needed) use a gate/exp block in the processed chain.

"Level 1" and/or "Main" parameters in FX Loop can be used to increase DI signal level. For analog recording you may want to use these if it's initially fairly low.

Hey Bakerman thanks for your help again! I will try out what you suggested.

First in chain would be like the input gate. After amp (optionally w/ sidechain = input 1) may sound preferable for some things.

Back
Top Bottom