Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also - I can hear the difference on the Marshall style amps but for me the real change with the speaker compression parameter is with the AC-30 style amps. I feel like they used to get kinda indistinct and dull as you cranked them - which is nothing like a real AC-30. Now I can dial in sizzle and a nice round bottom end. Great stuff here!

Waiting until the final version to install, but has anyone tried with Recto 2 Red Modern yet? Might as well be the only amp model there is...for me anyway. :D

Also - I can hear the difference on the Marshall style amps but for me the real change with the speaker compression parameter is with the AC-30 style amps. I feel like they used to get kinda indistinct and dull as you cranked them - which is nothing like a real AC-30. Now I can dial in sizzle and a nice round bottom end. Great stuff here!

This is absolutely correct (after suggested tweaks). My AC30 has come alive. Sizzle and distinct.

The same goes for my beloved Plexi 50 patch. If anything it cleans to mean better than it did before. Usually not a fan of beta's, but had to try this one, and boy am I glad I did. Funny, I played last night and realized I REALLY needed to change out strings, and without changing tonight, I didn't even notice.

Edit: I was just going to play for a bit to test out, and it was 3 hours later. Worth a shot folks, jump in.

This is absolutely correct (after suggested tweaks). My AC30 has come alive. Sizzle and distinct.

The same goes for my beloved Plexi 50 patch. If anything it cleans to mean better than it did before. Usually not a fan of beta's, but had to try this one, and boy am I glad I did. Funny, I played last night and realized I REALLY needed to change out strings, and without changing tonight, I didn't even notice.

Edit: I was just going to play for a bit to test out, and it was 3 hours later. Worth a shot folks, jump in.
Sounds really promising! I hope soon there will be a beta for AX8 ;)

So if we are using a Matrix solid state power amp and we generally leave on power amp modeling on the Axe, this new speaker compression also falls under this category?
I think it depends on whether or not you are using a real guitar cab.
So what should the setting be when using a Matrix and real cab through output 2 whilst simultaneously using FRFR through output 1?

So what should the setting be when using a Matrix and real cab through output 2 whilst simultaneously using FRFR through output 1?
Depends on which you want to sound more authentic. With questions like this, my first response is "audience first."

Installed without issue on Mk I and XL+.

Comparing 9.00 beta directly to 8.02, SPKR COMP makes the high end more forward but less brash. At the same time, the lows seem to have more meat, but to my ears, that may be at least partly due to the treatment that the harmonics get (in gainier tones, anyway). It's fun to ride into and out of the effect with the guitar's volume knob. The frequency ranges seem to integrate better with each other, kind of like a dialed-in multi-band compressor.

I'm liking SPKR COMP around 5 on NMV amps. Higher for clean tones.

There’s no optimal solution for this, apart from using two separate amp blocks. This also applies to other speaker-related params such as Low/High Resonance on the Speaker tab page.

There’s no optimal solution for this, apart from using two separate amp blocks. This also applies to other speaker-related params such as Low/High Resonance on the Speaker tab page.

Yeah, I have struggle with that as well.
I have tried seperate amps for FRFR and poweramp/cab which makes patches hard to maintain. Lately I've started to tweak the patch to sound good through the poweramp/cab and then use the cab-block to LP/HP, even have tried to use cab preamp. One thing I notice is when I tweak patches this way the FRFR becomes bass-heavy and I've to use different IRs.

Installed without issue on Mk I and XL+.

Comparing 9.00 beta directly to 8.02, SPKR COMP makes the high end more forward but less brash. At the same time, the lows seem to have more meat, but to my ears, that may be at least partly due to the treatment that the harmonics get (in gainier tones, anyway). It's fun to ride into and out of the effect with the guitar's volume knob. The frequency ranges seem to integrate better with each other, kind of like a dialed-in multi-band compressor.

I'm liking SPKR COMP around 5 on NMV amps. Higher for clean tones.
The Master Volume Setting definitely makes a HUGE difference as to how much of the SPKR COMP interacts. It’s really cool how drive pedals & clean boosts & guitar volume all effect this and the overall feel of everything. It does a great job smoothing everything together once that synergistic sweet spot & balance is found. Really cool, I’m diggin’ this.

The matrix is a solid state amp, not a tube amp. It does need that compression thingy, as far as I understand.

Depends on which you want to sound more authentic. With questions like this, my first response is "audience first."

Thought so, I guess what's authentic is subjective, and also in a live evnironment such subleties are barely noticable, to me, let alone any other band member, and certainly not a noisy audience of non musicians.

Understood. I'm not one for seperate amp blocks, so i'll probably just leave the parameter alone.

To me its not clear what causes this. I just know some people have this issue since Q8. Especially Quantum 8.02. There are also people with no problems. Its not problem axe fx standalone. It seems related with pc and usb.

Cliff knows best. I just hope it gets solved as its really anoying. Less anoying with Q9beta ;)

Working with support, we thought that my DAW (Reaper) audio driver was competing with the Axe-FX driver since I'm going direct to DAW via USB.
I had thought I confirmed this by running Axe-Edit without my DAW launched as it seemed to not have communication errors unless the DAW was running. That didn't last long and the errors starting happening even without my DAW running.

What's even more strange is how random it is. Sometimes it will work for a long time (1+ hours) and sometimes it starts acting up right away.

We'll see how it acts after upgrading to the Q9 beta.

I spent a couple of hours today on the 9.0, and most of the time I tweaked speaker comp. I saw that then I add this com ( it's on "0" by default ) the sound became more dark an quiet. I need add some treble and presence and level to compensate it, especially on the Rectos. Is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom