News of the MidyAX2 - Pilot the AXE-FX with MIDI controllers (X-Touch, BCR2000, Guitar Wing, ...)

The development of the MidyAX took a break :eek:, as I've been catching up with the latest developments of Artificial Neural Networks and Deep Learning (for work purposes). Should get back to it ... soon.;)
That's definitely more interesting than midyax ;)

Hi Palygap,

Thank you for creating this great tool for us all! I have a request when you have time.....

Could you fix how the program behaves with 4k displays? This is a common problem with lots of software these days (and probably an issue with the tool packages you are using and not your coding per se), some windows appear with text too small to read and don't scale correctly.

Again, thanks for creating this great tool!

Hi Palygap,

Thank you for creating this great tool for us all! I have a request when you have time.....

Could you fix how the program behaves with 4k displays? This is a common problem with lots of software these days (and probably an issue with the tool packages you are using and not your coding per se), some windows appear with text too small to read and don't scale correctly.

Again, thanks for creating this great tool!

Thanks for support. :)

I am quite busy moving this week. I'll have a look at it next week. Right now I had the MAC version running on a 27" iMac and it was OK. I'll try it on my 4K TV with the Pipo X8 to see it works.

Thanks for support. :)

I am quite busy moving this week. I'll have a look at it next week. Right now I had the MAC version running on a 27" iMac and it was OK. I'll try it on my 4K TV with the Pipo X8 to see it works.
Hey PALYGAP, I can't see a download link for the mac version. Or am I just plain stupid?...

Hi!

I've been thinking of finally giving this project a proper try. Is the BCR2000 still the best option for controlling the Axe-Fx 2 or are there better units on the market? Probably not any this cheap though. Do all the controls on the BCR work when used with MidyAX, e.g. could I have for example one row control the amp block and another the cab block?

Also could you update the Github with the latest version in case you die in a bizarre gardening accident or simply lose interest in the project so others could continue the work if needed? Adding the latest versions under releases in Github would be great as well as any info on how to compile the project (tools needed etc).

Hi laxu,

I've been thinking of finally giving this project a proper try. Is the BCR2000 still the best option for controlling the Axe-Fx 2 or are there better units on the market? Probably not any this cheap though. Do all the controls on the BCR work when used with MidyAX, e.g. could I have for example one row control the amp block and another the cab block?
==>Yes, you can even assign logical switches to the "special function" buttons of the BCR2000 (by reconfiguring it) and that was operational from the MidyAX 1

Also could you update the Github with the latest version in case you die in a bizarre gardening accident or simply lose interest in the project so others could continue the work if needed? Adding the latest versions under releases in Github would be great as well as any info on how to compile the project (tools needed etc).

==> Currently my Github https://github.com/PALYGAP contains the old MidyAX 1 that worked on Arduino hardware not RPi or PC/MAC ...

I have been thinking of doing some more work on the MidyAX 2, but I am now fully involved with going back to my first passion of Neural Network (now called Deep Learning) so I havn't got the time to progress on the program. The aim being to get a job in that field.

I apologize to ralphonz and Mark Scrivener to witch I recently promise to work on it :(, and to all the others that shown interest in the MidyAX 1 or 2 and gave support to the project. Special thanks to DLC86 ;)

In the end, I will release the MidyAX 2 in Open Source on Github before the "Père Noël" comes it will be my end of year gift ;). And I will provide some support till one person at least manage to compile it :)

I will let you know here when it happens (likely end of next week)

P.S. : No worries about about me going somewhere without saying, I am not a gardener :) more into mountaineering.

In the end, I will release the MidyAX 2 in Open Source on Github before the "Père Noël" comes it will be my end of year gift ;). And I will provide some support till one person at least manage to compile it :)

I will let you know here when it happens (likely end of next week)

P.S. : No worries about about me going somewhere without saying, I am not a gardener :) more into mountaineering.

Thanks for replying and looking forward to taking a look at the code.

It seems like you need to be careful around those mountain goats instead! ;)

So I gave it a go and got the software working with the built-in control panels for the various units. Haven't bought anything yet as I'm still trying to decide what MIDI controller to get.

In the meantime I was trying to see if I could get my old Novation Remote LE MIDI keyboard and its row of knobs and buttons to control the Axe-Fx 2. However even though it sends for example CC 1 and the knob value correctly on Channel 1 to my computer (verified this with the MIDI-OX software), I can't get either MidyAX or Axe-Fx 2 to react to it in any way.

How should I try to set this up? I tried using the Other 1 as well as the BCR2000 options in the Midi Connections screen but get no response to changing the knobs on the controller.
  • Do the Channel, Page and Param settings have to be set to a specific setting? What do those settings as well as the Axe-Fx CC option (14) mean?
  • Am I correct that it should work if I add for example IN - Ch1 - CC 1 to Axe-Fx - Amp 1 - Bass in the Midi Mapping section?
It seems like the BCR2000 is hard to find nowadays so the BeatStep is next on my list but I was wondering if I can get something else to work with MidyAx2 as well.

Hi @laxu,

Any MIDI device should work as long as it sends MIDI CC commands. It's likely the knobs on your Novation Remote LE MIDI are sending MIDI CCs. On the MidyAX2, make sure the "MIDI CHANNELS / param" value is set to the MIDI channel on which the Novation Remote sends the MIDI messages. But you seems to have already checked that.

To get the knobs to actually work without any display, use the MidyAX / MIDI Mapping dialog. There can add individual mapping : 1 CC to 1 AXE-FX param (block name+param name). To have a display you can use one of the controller in the MIDI Controllers menu. Then you have to define the mapping. To do that right-click on the controls (Buttons or Sliders) and set the mapping in the "Map AXE-FX param".

Axe-Fx CC setting is to control CCs to xhich the AXE-FX responds (see AXE-FX manual). But that might not be very useful to you for now.

Am I correct that it should work if I add for example IN - Ch1 - CC 1 to Axe-Fx - Amp 1 - Bass in the Midi Mapping section?
Yes

It seems like the BCR2000 is hard to find nowadays so the BeatStep is next on my list but I was wondering if I can get something else to work with MidyAx2 as well.
I have not followed the market recently. Here is a place where there are some second-hands one : https://fr.audiofanzine.com/autre-s...er/b-control-rotary-bcr2000/petites-annonces/ if you're in Europe.

Let me know, if you're still having problems (maybe private message). I will gladly help.

I'm staring at about 12x used BCF2000 units (and one or two BCRs also). If you're interested in one of them shoot me a message.

Hi @laxu,

Any MIDI device should work as long as it sends MIDI CC commands. It's likely the knobs on your Novation Remote LE MIDI are sending MIDI CCs. On the MidyAX2, make sure the "MIDI CHANNELS / param" value is set to the MIDI channel on which the Novation Remote sends the MIDI messages. But you seems to have already checked that.

To get the knobs to actually work without any display, use the MidyAX / MIDI Mapping dialog. There can add individual mapping : 1 CC to 1 AXE-FX param (block name+param name). To have a display you can use one of the controller in the MIDI Controllers menu. Then you have to define the mapping. To do that right-click on the controls (Buttons or Sliders) and set the mapping in the "Map AXE-FX param".

Tried hooking the Novation to my audio interface thru MIDI and then it works fine. So I guess over USB MidyAx has a bug and doesn't set the USB MIDI controller properly or something. Another bug I noticed is if you use Other 1/2 in MIDI connections, the moment I turn a knob on the MIDI controller MidyAx crashes. Using the BCR2000 option works fine though.

Last edited:
Had time to actually play through my Axe-Fx today so I tried editing while playing and it was so easy to do with the real knobs compared to the constant switching to mouse and back when using Axe-Edit. My keyboard has 9 knobs on it with a different set of CCs assignable with its "group B" button so a total of 18 controls that I can mess with. This proved to be really neat for dialing in a dual amp patch I've been working on. The big on-screen control panel on the MidyAx helps tremendously when editing as you don't need to look at the Axe-Fx screen at all. PALYGAP, you've done a tremendous job on the software, thank you for that!

I'm thinking of grabbing the Arturia BeatStep now as it's more compact and easily available.

I'm looking forward to get to mess with the code. I can hopefully pick up where you left and fix some of the issues in the app like DPI scaling.

Hi @laxu,

Sorry not to have answered you're previous message.

So it seems you got it working :)

The big on-screen control panel on the MidyAx helps tremendously when editing as you don't need to look at the Axe-Fx screen at all
Super happy about that. This is one on the big aims of the MidyAX 2. :):):)

PALYGAP, you've done a tremendous job on the software, thank you for that!
:):):):):):):):)

I'm thinking of grabbing the Arturia BeatStep now as it's more compact and easily available.
Arturia BeatStep is great though there are a few (at least one) restriction (compared to the BCR2000) that I mention earlier in the thread.

I'm looking forward to get to mess with the code. I can hopefully pick up where you left and fix some of the issues in the app like DPI scaling.
I'll try to start the code sharing this WE ... if I have the time ;)

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean with "Other 1/2 in MIDI connections" ?

The OTHER 1 and OTHER 2 sections. If I use any of those instead of the ones that have a control panel is paired with a MIDI input then MidyAx crashes when I turn a knob on my controller.

The OTHER 1 and OTHER 2 sections. If I use any of those instead of the ones that have a control panel is paired with a MIDI input then MidyAx crashes when I turn a knob on my controller.
Right, it shows that I've not been too involved with the MidyAX 2 recently :oops:. I'll have to check in the code. Can remember there was an issue though. I'll give it a try this WE.

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Back
Top Bottom