Are you successfully using your AX8 via s/pdif?

Kind of related but could someone run me thru the process of hooking up SPDIF plz?
I have the Focusrite 18i20 gen 2 AI and am thinking that it cant be too difficult!

I have connected a cable from AX8 to SPDIF in on AI. On the Focusrite Control Output Routing panel I've added the SPDIF L-R hardware input. In the Device Settings I've set sample rate to 48kHz and clock source to Internal. The Sync Status says Locked.
All I get is some intermittent popping sound.

Any ideas?
Do like this:

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 6.42.56 AM.png

Kind of related but could someone run me thru the process of hooking up SPDIF plz?
I have the Focusrite 18i20 gen 2 AI and am thinking that it cant be too difficult!

I have connected a cable from AX8 to SPDIF in on AI. On the Focusrite Control Output Routing panel I've added the SPDIF L-R hardware input. In the Device Settings I've set sample rate to 48kHz and clock source to Internal. The Sync Status says Locked.
All I get is some intermittent popping sound.

Any ideas?
That's more than I get - I get it constantly popping back and forth between Locked and Unlocked on my 18i20 Gen 2.

I would check the SPDIF cable first.
Tried three cables, including one purchased brand new. Tried two different computers, one MacBook Pro 15 i7 running Sierra, another an HP Spectre x360 13 running Windows 10. Tried Saffire Pro 40 and Scarlett 18i20g2 on both. Same symptoms. Works on my Mbox Pro 3 though.

Read this from the Focsrite website:
--------------------------------------------
If you are receiving audio from an external device (such as a two channel Guitar FX Processor) you should first connect the S/PDIF output of the external device to the S/PDIF input of the Saffire or Scarlett.

You should then launch Saffire or Scarlett MixControl and set the sync source to SPDIF (shown below). You should also refer to the user guide of your external device to make sure that it is set to its internal clock. Finally, make sure that the sample rate of the two devices are matched. The output from the external device should now appear as the SPDIF Inputs within your DAW. (The Input number will vary depending on which Saffire or Scarlett you have.)
-----------------------------------------

How do I check this on the AX8?

Also, just to be sure, I only need a single RCA cable running from AX8 to the input ONLY on the AI?

The AX8 is a clock source and you cannot change that. The sample rate is fixed at 48kHz. Also a single RCA cable is enough to connect it to the audio interface. I wouldn't exclude the AX8 as the culprit, do you have another SPDIF device to try if it syncs with your interface ? Did you try it battery mode ?

My particular problem is this: when I hook up my AX8 to the Komplete Audio 6 via s/pdif, and then switch over to External Clock in Audio MIDI Setup, under 'Format' it switches to 44,100 Hz, and it's no longer a pop-up menu so I can't change it (see attached pic). I can change the clock to Internal, and then I can set the format to 48k, but as soon as I switch back to External Clock, it goes back to 44.1k. The KA6 does indicate on its top panel that it's receiving Spdif Sync, but it's somehow falsely recognizing it as 44.1k. Anybody have any clues?

Audio MIDI.jpeg

My particular problem is this: when I hook up my AX8 to the Komplete Audio 6 via s/pdif, and then switch over to External Clock in Audio MIDI Setup, under 'Format' it switches to 44,100 Hz, and it's no longer a pop-up menu so I can't change it (see attached pic). I can change the clock to Internal, and then I can set the format to 48k, but as soon as I switch back to External Clock, it goes back to 44.1k. The KA6 does indicate on its top panel that it's receiving Spdif Sync, but it's somehow falsely recognizing it as 44.1k. Anybody have any clues?

View attachment 41459

watch this video maybe it can help you.

How do I check this on the AX8?
Nothing to check. It just is.

Also, just to be sure, I only need a single RCA cable running from AX8 to the input ONLY on the AI?
Are you using like a side-by-side pair, stereo system type RCA cable or a 75 Ohm co-axial cable with RCA jacks on each end? You should be using the 75 Ohm cable. And yes, you only need one, single cable.

The same happens on my Windows system. The control panel won't let me change the sample rate once synced to an external source and shows 44.1kHz. However, when starting an MP3 playback in this state the panel updates to 48kHz. I'm not concerned about what the control panel shows as long as the connection works and doesn't generate clicks/pops.

The same happens on my Windows system. The control panel won't let me change the sample rate once synced to an external source and shows 44.1kHz. However, when starting an MP3 playback in this state the panel updates to 48kHz. I'm not concerned about what the control panel shows as long as the connection works and doesn't generate clicks/pops.

I'd be more than satisfied with that scenario. Unfortunately, my Mac does not update to 48k at any point and any audio just comes out as stuttery distorted garbage.

I have a Scarlett 18i20 Gen2 and my Axe8 wont connect either. I set the sample to 48k and I get no sound whether my source is set to S/PDIF or Internal. Has anyone found a fix for this at all?

I have a Scarlett 18i20 Gen2 and my Axe8 wont connect either. I set the sample to 48k and I get no sound whether my source is set to S/PDIF or Internal. Has anyone found a fix for this at all?
Good to know I'm not the only one.
Are you on firmware 8.02?

It seems like there are a few 18i20g2 AI users that are having syncing issues.

Are there any users of Scarlett AIs other that the 18i20, that are having the same issue? Im hoping there are no syncing issues with those units as the issue must then lie with the Focsrite unit and not the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom