IR tone

Singtall

Experienced
Vendor
I have several modelers and i was noticing that my Singtall IR (made by Fremen) sounds different on the Fractal units. on the Fractal units it sounds REAL close to the TV cabinets, so i stopped using my IR and I use factory cab instead. I acquired a line6 Helix a couple weeks ago in a trade and i loaded my IR to have a solid base to start from and it was much brighter and had for more bottom. i experienced this same phenomenon when i loaded the same IR into the Atomic AmpliFire. I was told by another company that they think Cliff has some filters running to make everything sound warm instead of the natural tone of the IR. it's like Cliff "fixed" what many people complained about in other units and made the Fractal units sound more amp-in-the-room. i remember back in the day when i had to roll off highs and lows on IR's, and now...not so much. any idea if Cliff actually "warmed" the Fractal units up?

No, there's no hidden processing. There are low-cut and high-cut filters that are user adjustable. The high-cut defaults to 10 kHz.

When we acquire IRs we compare them to the actual mic'd cab and they always sound identical.

With all that said, we do do some minor mathematical manipulation of the IR the details of which I'm not at liberty to disclose. If you don't do this the bass response is exaggerated.

No, there's no hidden processing. There are low-cut and high-cut filters that are user adjustable. The high-cut defaults to 10 kHz.

When we acquire IRs we compare them to the actual mic'd cab and they always sound identical.

With all that said, we do do some minor mathematical manipulation of the IR the details of which I'm not at liberty to disclose. If you don't do this the bass response is exaggerated.
Interesting. Is that same manipulation of the IR taking place through Cab Lab as well, is it just within the Axe-FX?

"I was told by another company that they think Cliff......."

The guitar modeling equivalent of "a guy I know....." or "I read on the internet that...."

The high-cut defaults to 10 kHz.....

that is what i wanted to know.

default high cut at 10khz would kill the fizz

and whatever you do to the bass to calm it down explains the difference i'm hearing.

so there is a little something going on. no problem. just wanted to know what i was hearing. thanks

"I was told by another company that they think Cliff......."

The guitar modeling equivalent of "a guy I know....." or "I read on the internet that...."

some of these guys know each other well and have even worked together in the past, so it's best i say "a guy from another company" to try to minimize the crapstorm that quoting someone could cause. the other manufacturer was saying that his modeler sounded more open and Fractal now sounds more warm. he said that it wasn't always that way with Fractal and he believes there was a small change made somewhere that accounts for the warmth of the Fractal devices. And he was right to some extent. a minor thing like defaulting the high cut to 10khz would make some IR's sound warmer. the way Fractal analyzes the low frequencies and corrects them to keep the low frequencies from being exaggerated would explain a lot.

i can run the axe-fx II through either unit using them as cabinet modeler only and still hear the difference.

I figured that was what you were doing but the original post didn't say. It's not totally surprising they handle IRs differently. Also not surprising Cliff goes the extra step to make IRs more useable in the Axe.

I'm just curious: is this during IR processing (as in applied in the cab block to all IRs during use), or just when you are capturing/creating IRs?

interestingly, it used to default to 20k. in many of my patches that were created before this change, it's still set at 20k. i'm just going through them all now and changing it to 10k
Ok, so I'm not going mental! I was pretty sure they defaulted to 20k.

Probably just a carryover from my older presets.

in axe edit, the cab block always defaults to 20k and I am using 8.something. .... (turning Axe on ..., checking cab 2, ...)

well I was wrong, Cliff was right (duh), it defaults to 10k.

All is well. Carry on.

:)

Back
Top Bottom