Instead of Atomic CLR?

I have a couple CLR's and the mbritt Xitone open back. Love them all. I use CLR's at home practicing and setting up patches mostly. The Xitone open back is great at gigs and obviously very versatile. It fills the room nicely. I've stacked them before too (one CLR on top the Xitone) -that was great.

The 5 modes on the Xitone I have are (direct from Mic):

1) FRFR
2) FRFR with 2db dip at 500hz
3) FRFR with 2db dip at 500hz and a 2db bump at 900hz
4) FRFR 12" only
5) 12" raw

That corresponds to the flashing led too.

Last edited:
I did email him, twice...... no reply after a couple of days. And absolutely no mention of this DSP button on their web site.

DigiSage... can you please send me the email address you used to send me a note via a private message... I just went back over 2 weeks in my mail and didn't see anything that I didn't respond to... but I'm also 50 so I may have missed it. I checked the spam folder and it's not there either...

...and mick's website is badly in need of renovation...but he is usually very accessible..

I actually spent a little time this morning going over the first draft of my new website! Hopefully it'll be finished in a few weeks.

Thanks so much! In which different situations would those options be useful? When might you use 2 or 3 or 4 or 5?

I have a couple CLR's and the mbritt Xitone open back. Love them all. I use CLR's at home practicing and setting up patches mostly. The Xitone open back is great at gigs and obviously very versatile. It fills the room nicely. I've stacked them before too (one CLR on top the Xitone) -that was great.

The 5 modes on the Xitone I have are (direct from Mic):

1) FRFR
2) FRFR with 2db dip at 500hz
3) FRFR with 2db dip at 500hz and a 2db bump at 900hz
4) FRFR 12" only
5) 12" raw

That corresponds to the flashing led too.

PMing you right now. Thanks so much for following up here!

DigiSage... can you please send me the email address you used to send me a note via a private message... I just went back over 2 weeks in my mail and didn't see anything that I didn't respond to... but I'm also 50 so I may have missed it. I checked the spam folder and it's not there either...

Have you seen the 12s that mick posted that he did recreationally? Beautiful...

Passive 12 user...totally happy.

Thanks so much! In which different situations would those options be useful? When might you use 2 or 3 or 4 or 5?

I'm not sure if you addressed Mic with this question in your PM but I'll try and answer.
I mostly use mode 1 (FRFR). But I have used the DSP to tune the cab to different rooms in a gig sound check when I had a room issue and felt I could easily correct it by cycling modes. For 1-3, I believe it's totally subjective to your tastes, tones and how you use it for FRFR, so use your ears. Also if IIRC, Mic said Michael Brit tuned one of the modes for his liking(mode 2?). Modes 4 and 5 have no horn on them, and 5 is like a standard cab (no dsp- I think).

Please correct me if wrong, Mic! I will say Mic has provided me outstanding customer service when needed with my purchase, and I highly recommend Xitone!

Last edited:
Great info, thanks! Is one mode particularly well suited for low volume?

It doesn't really work that way.

Since the way humans perceive sound changes in relation to sound pressure level, then it depends on how you program your presets as to what happens when the sound pressure level is increased or decreased.

Presets usually sound best at the sound pressure level used when they are created (or the sound pressure level they were programmed for... experienced preset creators can use lower sound pressure levels to create presets that will sound as intended at higher sound pressure levels).

So its the preset not the speaker mode that matters for changing sound pressure levels.

Speaker modes would be more about room corrections or compensating for where the speaker is placed in a room.

I've read several references to the idea that some of the DSP modes are specifically for "combatting Fletcher-Munson" and making tones that were designed for high pressure levels to sound good at lower pressure levels. This is what my question is ultimately about. Is what I read true? Some of the modes are aimed at that?

It doesn't really work that way.

Since the way humans perceive sound changes in relation to sound pressure level, then it depends on how you program your presets as to what happens when the sound pressure level is increased or decreased.

Presets usually sound best at the sound pressure level used when they are created (or the sound pressure level they were programmed for... experienced preset creators can use lower sound pressure levels to create presets that will sound as intended at higher sound pressure levels).

So its the preset not the speaker mode that matters for changing sound pressure levels.

Speaker modes would be more about room corrections or compensating for where the speaker is placed in a room.

I've read several references to the idea that some of the DSP modes are specifically for "combatting Fletcher-Munson" and making tones that were designed for high pressure levels to sound good at lower pressure levels. This is what my question is ultimately about. Is what I read true? Some of the modes are aimed at that?

At lower volumes, our ears hear mids much better than lows and highs. So at low levels, you tend to add bass and treble.

I suppose mode 2 might help a little as it cuts mids a little.

low vs. high volume is one of those "over thought" issues. Change the tone stack until it sounds good.

If you perform regularly, you will learn pretty quick what works and what don't. It's really not that difficult.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom