Mike Dawes

I got to be a debbie downer- but I don't think that was good at all...

I saw two chicks on one harp play it earlier today and was blown away-

This was just... embellishing an average arrangement with unnecessary embellishing

Like the last half was multi tracked/overdubed anyway- so the first half of hitting the guitar is useless...

There's a transition section before the verses that 99% guitar players miss/don't play/can't play right- and I was hoping to hear him play both parts at once and drop my jaw in amazement but it was really subpar.

The intro had it's moments- but it also had mistakes disguised as 'dynamics' but the rest was downhill

I'm never really a fan of arrangements where guitars just play the melodies either... when someone can do all the instruments themselves and nail the album/recording- that's impressive to me- or at least much harder to do.

I think 50% of the youtube guys are unrealistic in what they do- I can appreciate a great arrangement of something- but what I mean is- some of the music they create is on its own somewhat unpractical.

buzzkill

when someone can do all the instruments themselves and nail the album/recording- that's impressive to me- or at least much harder to do.

Even the original artist rarely accomplish that!

I'm more a fan of bringing something new & Mike really plays with passion, something a lot of technically accomplished players seem to forget.

I've only seen Mike's articles in Guitar World, but had not actually heard him play. I'm glad there's a contingent of guitarists out there keeping the Michael Hedges style alive because I sure can't pull it off!

Sorta reminiscent of the great Phil Keaggy. Very interesting style and approach. Thanks for the post.

OK, then let's hear you do better.

I'm a little rusty now- but around the time I was 22-23 (I'm 32 now)
I could play every metallica song- on guitar, bass and drums- all the way through- Kill Em All Through I Disappear
Not only that- I could play every live version from every tour- like how kirk played a particular solo in 1992 vs 2004 etc

Why don't I record ONE? because it's probably best as is- and I CAN'T do better because no one could do it better than Metallica...
Why would I record something worse than the original- sometimes- I hear songs I think I could do better- and I do them- or I try and it sucks and no one ever hears it.

So anyway- playing a Metallica song is something 99% of the 15 year olds at guitar center can do- but doing it well- not too easy.

And this guy didn't do it that great...intro was pretty good- but the rest was downhill and the last section was just stupid-

And even if I did it- it wouldn't be better than Metallica

ALSO- the girls that did it on harp I saw- that's at least impressive because the girl playing kirks solos was doing it backward- and knowing the range and keys and strings of the harp with the pedals are really tough- this guy was just playing it in drop d on guitar- and hitting the thing half the time--- not impressed

One last thing...

I think I'm just not a fan of solo performers- and to be honest- for the most part- the general public isn't a huge fan either...
the only one that's successful I can think of also sings...and sings pop music (Ed Sheeran)

But in the mainstream instrumental solo performers- there aren't too many with huge success outside of the youtube world

And- with recording and musicians and technology and recording today- I think solo instrumental music peaked in the 1780's

I could play every live version from every tour- like how kirk played a particular solo in 1992 vs 2004 etc
......12 different versions of sloppy bends and out of tune runs...?

As to the video posted above....I enjoyed it. Talented kid.

......12 different versions of sloppy bends and out of tune runs...?

sloppy or clean in tune or out of tune- the man is on the biggest selling album of the soundscan era-

I can play guitar pretty well- in tune bends, clean runs- but no one is playing my riffs in every music store right now

Back
Top Bottom