Instead of Atomic CLR?

DigiSage

I've been trying to buy an Atomic CLR for months without success. Used or new. The company is frankly embarrassingly terrible at estimating demand and aligning logistics to serve it. I digress.

If you couldn't get a CLR, what would you get next? What would be your #2?

I've heard that the CLR still sounds very good at lower volumes, unlike some other wedges. Does the same apply to Xitone's 1x12 active wedge?

Another Xitone user here. Mine are passive combined with a Matrix amp.

They sound fine at lower volumes... And to be honest, the volume should not matter for FRFR. It's not a guitar speaker and doesn't add "character" by being driven.

That being said, Fletcher Munson will affect the way things sound at low volume versus at higher volumes.

Xitone. These sound awesome at whisper volumes and actually sound larger and louder than a real 412 cabinet. ASM12's are nice as I owned these in the past but tend to color the sound way too much and sound more processed. The Xitone's to me just sound so much more open and like a real cabinet.

For hard rock and metal I'm more of a Friedman ASM-12 fan. I owned a Xitone 1x12 in the past and really liked it but for me, the Friedman just does the heavier stuff better. I will say that it has been years since I owned a Xitone cab and I know Mick has really improved them. In fact, cragginshred has a Xitone and Friedman and they sounded really similar in one of his videos.

Tough call. I have 2 CLR's, 2 XiTone's and a Friedman. I keep the Friedman at rehearsal. It's just to damn heavy to lug around. But it does sound great. I would agree as mentioned above works well for high gain and heavy metal. I keep my CLR's at home to create my presets on and practice with. I gig my with my XiTone's. They are light, sound amazing and are built like tanks. I think the CLR's are best for creating your presets on and having them translate well to other systems. But I like the XiTones better for gigging. Have more of a cab like quality in the sound.

I ended up getting a Xitone 1x12 active wedge. Love it so far, though I am having trouble finding documentation describing what the 5 DSP options are. Anyone know?

I like my CLR. Other guitar player has a Friedman (with Kemper) and it sounds great. Only drawback to that is that it weighs, I think, 57 pounds, which to me is an issue. I also have a passive Xitone 2 x 12, but don't really like that much. (I bought used and think it was an early model).

For some reason, some of these gear geniuses seem to have problems with email spam filters. You might be able to get the man himself on the phone if you try calling.

Back
Top Bottom