Axe-Fx sounds flubby and too distorted

I guess that's doesn't sound too flubby to me. What are you monitoring through, in what kind of room?

Tried everything. Turn down the bass in the amp, use cut, cut bass with an EQ before the amp.
I just wanted to know if this sounded ok.
Before I got more of a chunk-chunk sound when muting the strings. Now it's more woof-woof. If you know what I mean - it's hard to describe sounds.

I've always found that model to be kind of 'tubby' since it was first introduced. It's known as a very dark model. In fact, here is the description from Yek's amp guide... "’70 100w SLP with jumpered inputs, darker and smoother than earlier Plexis".
I haven't noticed a change in it since earlier firmwares but since I tend towards naturally brighter amps it might be that I don't spend enough time with it.

It certainly is not the firmware. Something else is the culprit. Go through your rig systematically:

Guitar
Cable
Anything inbetween
Amplification
Do a system reset
Maybe one of the global blocks went wrong
Perhaps create a simple amp+cab preset to test.

This is exactly what I did.
This is the preset I posted.
A Plexi with a factory cab.
I tried with different guitars.
I've always found that model to be kind of 'tubby' since it was first introduced. It's known as a very dark model
I tried the other Plexis as well.
Same result.
I posted the preset to see if anyone gets the same result.

Tried reinstalling the firmware?

(before you do, make a backup of the system file with Fractal-Bot for later research)

Last edited:
This is just an example.
I have this problem with most amps I tried and the ones I was using since day one, ten years ago.
That's why I said even Austinbuddy's preset pack doesn't seem to work for me.
I just wanted to see if anyone could perhaps try the preset and see if they get similar results.

I downloaded and had a listen to your preset .... seems just set to AxeFX 'noon' defaults in the settings and sounds like your recording when I played it (SD Custom Custom bridge pickup).

That particular Plexi as already described above is a dark and boomy one ..... so definitely the default BMTP and 2 gains (input and treble) would need tweaked to make it 'chunk-chunk' .... dial back the Bass for sure reduce Mid perhaps and tweak up the Treble and Presence.

Wouldn't be my first choice of amp to do chunky stuff - unless you want to run it at big volumes like they did in the 70's

i can't load the patch, it just comes up with the amp block set to default, but the recording sounds pretty bad

you are using quite a bassy cab, with the proximity turned up

try this
amp - reset it and then
bass 0
mid 8
treb 7.5
pres 7
treb drive 7
norm drive 2
motor drive - 4

cab - reset it and then
F103

some of the stuff you'd done in the cab block like lower the hi cut and turn up proximity weren't helping

it's quite a dark amp that one

keep the same cab and then try the 50w 6550 amp
gain - 6
bass - 3
mid - 7
treb - 7
motor drive 4

here's what the 6550 sounds like to me with those settings

http://simeonharris.co.uk/misc/plexi.wav

I have this problem with most amps I tried and the ones I was using since day one, ten years ago

If lots of presets exhibit the same issue then you need to think about external factors... maybe your room has some resonant peaks in the frequencies associated with 'flub'. Of course this wouldn't apply when monitoring through headphones.

Ultimately there is a list of things to try including the following:

Use different guitars
Try different rooms
Move and adjust the position of your monitor speakers
Compare and contrast with other people using the same preset to obtain a baseline
And.. other 'things'... but more advice will be on hand from others too.

also - if you're making changes habitually...stop it. leave everything at default and just adjust the gain and bmtp controls and the master if it's a non master volume amp. if you always gravitate to the same ir's, try some different ones. techniques that may have worked many firmwares ago, may not still work now.
remember that the controls go all the way from 0-10

Reactions: Rex
Tried everything. Turn down the bass in the amp, use cut, cut bass with an EQ before the amp.
I just wanted to know if this sounded ok.
Before I got more of a chunk-chunk sound when muting the strings. Now it's more woof-woof. If you know what I mean - it's hard to describe sounds.
Does this affect the factory presets, or just yours? If it affects every preset, and it doesn't respond to built-in EQ, then it's something else in your signal chain. From your description, it sounds like rom modes.

I have listen to your preset, and I did find some issues that could make a bad sound..

1. your gate was a little weird, I don't know why.. I had to reset this..and tjek the "input Z" is at Auto (or not in wrong position)
2. Your speaker cabinet was all turn down to minus 12 db in Eq section (Pre+Drv). Bas, mid and treble..? I had to choose another cab because it was f001: 1x6 Oval..?
3. The amp you selected as a "chunk chunk" the Plexi 100W 1970 are very noisy and heavy low bass in its own overdrive, you would need a drive block.. to clear it up
4 I have made a preset with Angle Server1 instead of Marshall 1970, maybe its what you are looking for..?

Attachments

• Plexi 100W 1970 (Engl Sever1).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom