Anyone want TWO free Blackback IRs?

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi everyone,

I've been away for a while and just finished an awesome European tour. The shows were amazing and it felt great to get out and play music with my friends again. No better feeling on earth. While I was out, I acquired a cool rare cab in a little vintage guitar shop in Copenhagen. It's a 1978 London City oversized 4x12 with G12H Blackbacks. I wasn't looking to buy any gear, and especially a 4x12, but I plugged it in and instantly fell in love with it.

We got back to the States and I had just over 24 hours with it before I had to pack it up and send it off to the next batch of shows, but I managed to grab some test shots for fun and wanted to share one with the community. It's just a single 57 capture, but it absolutely roars with the Atomica High on default settings. It's got nice lows, smooth midrange, and a present top end without being harsh. You can feel the "knock" in the cab. I can't wait to shoot it with more mics and try some new mixes. I'm quickly becoming a big Blackback fan. I hope you enjoy it!

Edit: Added a second IR (57 BL G 5) from the bottom left speaker

Attachments

• YA 412 LONDON 57 TR TEST.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 847
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 388
  • YA 412 LONDON 57 BL G 5.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
My Marshall cab used to have 75 black backs in it and I stupidly sold them. Worst gear mistake I ever made.

Sloppy playing but I'm loving this cab, it genuinely sounds good with everything i put through it. Make a pack out of this and take my money!

I'm so glad you're liking it! The clip sounds great! If there's enough interest in the cab, I'd consider making a cab pack out of it. The way I do it is very time consuming, as I do a lot of extensive testing with various factors, but I think it could be a cool addition to the IR arsenal. So far, I'm really happy with the initial test shots, so who knows, I may do a deep shoot when I have more time. Thanks for the encouragement!

My Marshall cab used to have 75 black backs in it and I stupidly sold them. Worst gear mistake I ever made.
The speaker for this IR is one of the '75s, so maybe it'll feel a little familiar to you. I've never played a physical cab with vintage blackbacks before, but after cranking an '82 JCM 800 through it (gain fairly high with tone controls all at 10 o'clock), I was in heaven. It's actually got a cool vintage/modern feel to it, so it feels great with mid gain and handles high gain well without being too aggressive.

I went ahead and loaded this IR into my global cab block for the upcoming shows. Can't wait to hear how it sounds in the mix with the full band.

I'm so glad you're liking it! The clip sounds great! If there's enough interest in the cab, I'd consider making a cab pack out of it. The way I do it is very time consuming, as I do a lot of extensive testing with various factors, but I think it could be a cool addition to the IR arsenal. So far, I'm really happy with the initial test shots, so who knows, I may do a deep shoot when I have more time. Thanks for the encouragement!
Definitely count me in for it, this thing has mojo for sure

Delightful as always Justin. The top end is nicely portioned out in this one, even though I preferred my usual high cut settings with it.

I loaded it up and immediately shot a little video that veers off into a discussion about tweaking tones, but there should be enough playing for people to get an idea of how this IR works.

Delightful as always Justin. The top end is nicely portioned out in this one, even though I preferred my usual high cut settings with it.

I loaded it up and immediately shot a little video that veers off into a discussion about tweaking tones, but there should be enough playing for people to get an idea of how this IR works.

Wow! Such a cool video! Thanks for sharing your skills with us. You really nailed a cool classic rock tone there. I wish a Strat sounded that good with my hands.

I just tried the IR through my rig and it's officially my new Paramore dirty tone. Sounds great with my guitars and fits really well in the mix with nice note clarity and balls for days. FOH loves it and I like it a lot better than the 2x12 IR I was using for the last tour.

Wow RAGDOLL keep them coming - it's great to have someone with those skills and talent to give some advice - I love it! Awesome to listen to. :cool:
My pleasure, I'm glad you like it and I'll definitely add more.

Wow! Such a cool video! Thanks for sharing your skills with us. You really nailed a cool classic rock tone there. I wish a Strat sounded that good with my hands.

I just tried the IR through my rig and it's officially my new Paramore dirty tone. Sounds great with my guitars and fits really well in the mix with nice note clarity and balls for days. FOH loves it and I like it a lot better than the 2x12 IR I was using for the last tour.

Did you HSBC to tweak any of the cab block parameters to fit it into the rig or did you leave it wide open? It's one of the few IR's I've tried where the top end is balanced enough to leave the cab EQ flat. I'll have to try this on a more modern high gain patch next.

My pleasure, I'm glad you like it and I'll definitely add more.

Did you HSBC to tweak any of the cab block parameters to fit it into the rig or did you leave it wide open? It's one of the few IR's I've tried where the top end is balanced enough to leave the cab EQ flat. I'll have to try this on a more modern high gain patch next.
I don't know what HSBC means, but I have the low cut set around 80 and the high cut wide open. Top end sizzle isn't great for bedroom tones, but it makes your sound come alive in a mix. The other guys in my band have tube rigs and I noticed that when I used the high cut, my tone sounded like a modeler, and when I had the high cut turned off, my rig breathed like their tube rigs. I just tweak the amp to suit the IR, just like I would with a tube head and a mic'd cab.

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference. I tend to use darker amps, so I like an IR with some good top end air. Besides, you can always cut sizzle out, but you can't add it naturally once it's gone.

Obviously, everyone has different hands, guitars, techniques, etc. so what I like may not work for someone else. I thought your tone with the high cut sounded fantastic, so there's no wrong or right way to do it. I'm just thrilled that you like the IR!

I don't know what HSBC means, but I have the low cut set around 80 and the high cut wide open. Top end sizzle isn't great for bedroom tones, but it makes your sound come alive in a mix. The other guys in my band have tube rigs and I noticed that when I used the high cut, my tone sounded like a modeler, and when I had the high cut turned off, my rig breathed like their tube rigs. I just tweak the amp to suit the IR, just like I would with a tube head and a mic'd cab.

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference. I tend to use darker amps, so I like an IR with some good top end air. Besides, you can always cut sizzle out, but you can't add it naturally once it's gone.

Obviously, everyone has different hands, guitars, techniques, etc. so what I like may not work for someone else. I thought your tone with the high cut sounded fantastic, so there's no wrong or right way to do it. I'm just thrilled that you like the IR!
D'oh that's a typo, HSBC = have

Great advice regarding the high end, especially in a setting where you need to carve out your own sonic space.

Out of curiosity, what's the mic placement like on this IR? This and the 57 IR's in the Bipolar pack are a lot less harsh than a lot of others I've previously used.

D'oh that's a typo, HSBC = have

Great advice regarding the high end, especially in a setting where you need to carve out your own sonic space.

Out of curiosity, what's the mic placement like on this IR? This and the 57 IR's in the Bipolar pack are a lot less harsh than a lot of others I've previously used.
Hahaha! Man, I spent way too much time trying to figure out what the acronym HSBC stood for.

So this IR's placement would be similar to the Bipolar balanced G position. I took it from the top right speaker. I remember really liking the top right and bottom right speakers in particular. After playing these couple of shows, I'm definitely going to shoot this cab properly. Can't wait to hear some ribbons on this bad boy.

AWESOME IR ! Justin - I still use your original 2x12 Mesa IRS ALL THE TIME. I have 2 vertical Mesa 2x12's and your IR's replicate them PERFECTLY.

I alao use your Vox AC30 IRS all the time too.

Great work and thank you !

Back
Top Bottom