Slight pink noise type sound and killing it

Billbill

Power User
So my rig is simply a 212 FRFR stereo cab and my axe XL+. I've noticed some annoying pink noise type fizz that's in most of my custom high gain/distortion heavy metal patches. I tried the GEQ in the amp block to cut some of those kinda neutral high frequencies which helps a little but then i lose some bite/cut thru, and I end up with the "blanket over the speakers" effect. Even added a second GEQ at the end of my chain but that doesn't really help. It seems no matter where or in any other block I try to cut I end up with the same effect. I don't have any filters or any other EQ types in the preset.
Is there a block I can throw in there that is typically used for this issue in a high gain metal patch?

Yeah, sometimes I find it useful to put a gate (with a little slower onset and release) after the amp block, rather than before. The "feel" of the gate may be different after the amp block. Try it! See which you like.

Are you describing a fizz that accompanies your notes, or a steady noise that's there whether you're playing or not?

So it's a steady sound underneath your playing?
Seems to be generated by one of the amp blocks. It's a 2 amp, 2 cab type preset and if I bypass an amp, it stops. My IRs are different but it's 2 different amp blocks and no matter what amp I change in there it's always noisy like that.

Seems to be generated by one of the amp blocks. It's a 2 amp, 2 cab type preset and if I bypass an amp, it stops. My IRs are different but it's 2 different amp blocks and no matter what amp I change in there it's always noisy like that.
I'm going to take a wild guess that the "noisy" Amp block has a lot more gain than the other Amp block. :)

I'm going to take a wild guess that the "noisy" Amp block has a lot more gain than the other Amp block. :)
Actually it's the same amp type (angle serve 2) with the same amount of input, input trim, OD, all at 10 otherwise what I'm playing will lose its bite. I only hear the noise coming from one of the amps.

Actually it's the same amp type (angle serve 2) with the same amount of input, input trim, OD, all at 10 otherwise what I'm playing will lose its bite. I only hear the noise coming from one of the amps.
Post the preset.

186312-Well-There-s-Your-Problem.jpg

Gain, input trim, and OD all at 10 is a ridiculous amount of gain. It's no wonder you're having noise issues. As the gain goes up, so does the noise floor. No getting around that. Noise gates can help some, but with that much gain it's sort of like a Bandaid on a severed limb. Back off on the gain and your dynamics, clarity, and note definition will go up and the noise will go down.

Reactions: Rex
186312-Well-There-s-Your-Problem.jpg

Gain, input trim, and OD all at 10 is a ridiculous amount of gain. It's no wonder you're having noise issues. As the gain goes up, so does the noise floor. No getting around that. Noise gates can help some, but with that much gain it's sort of like a Bandaid on a severed limb. Back off on the gain and your dynamics, clarity, and note definition will go up and the noise will go down.
Good call. Somehow, I read a plexi into that, which could work with everything dimed. But the Angle Severe? Those settings are...well...severe. And tone-killing, to be honest. Dial that back a whole bunch, and then you'll have bite.

I think I'll try auditioning different amps because if I dial back any drive or gain the amp loses its snap, it's hard hitting bite that still bites during heavy palm muting riffage

you're still missing it. that much gain/level etc is going to cause you noise problems with any amp....it's just total overkill. there's no way that much gain is usable at all or has any bite.

you're still missing it. that much gain/level etc is going to cause you noise problems with any amp....it's just total overkill. there's no way that much gain is usable at all or has any bite.

Completely agree. Back the gain off, I never put mine past 6-7 depending on pickup output, I even have some really heavy highgain tones and use only 4level gain. You can add some snap and punch by cranking the Negative Feedback parameter in the power amp section I believe.

If you still insist on having that much gain then try a parametric EQ at the end of your chain instead of a graphic EQ. Squeeze the Quadrant parameter very narrow then crank the gain on that frequency(s) band to locate the unwanted noise frequencies, once you find em cut em out.

Completely agree. Back the gain off, I never put mine past 6-7 depending on pickup output, I even have some really heavy highgain tones and use only 4level gain. You can add some snap and punch by cranking the Negative Feedback parameter in the power amp section I believe.

If you still insist on having that much gain then try a parametric EQ at the end of your chain instead of a graphic EQ. Squeeze the Quadrant parameter very narrow then crank the gain on that frequency(s) band to locate the unwanted noise frequencies, once you find em cut em out.
Cool thanks, I will try the PEQ and that neg feedback parameter thing

Back
Top Bottom