Lack of high end in recording

I just started recording with the ax8 and feel I have to post eq everything I do. Am I doing something or not doing something to alleviate this issue?

People add EQ after recording all the time.

You might be hearing your actual guitar while recording, then not hearing it on playback, so the EQ changes according to your ears, but the tone had always sounded like that.

Thanks for replying , I don't know maybe it's just me. I compared the recording to those I have using bias fx. Do not have the same issue.im new to this machine only had it a few days..really want to use it as my main recording piece. I have it plugged in to a presonus 2x2 with clean out mono. Could this be the issue?

First thing: is the tone different when you play live vs listen to playback?

Can't you just add high end to the AX8 amps?

No the tone is the same,when i play thru my own can it sounds great.ivtried multiple cabs and even some kazrog cabs still the same I'm just not hearing the higher frequencies..

Do you have power amp and cab sims on?

Remember you're hearing the sound of a cab captured through a microphone when you record DI with the Axe; this is a very different experience to playing with the amp in the room. Volume plays a huge part (read up about the Fletcher Munson effect).

Choose the right IR (mic choice and position are a huge factor) and dial in your amp eq to taste.

After messing around a bit with cables, these do make a big difference..I'm using monster xlr out to my presonus interface . Sound is much better..

After messing around a bit with cables, these do make a big difference..I'm using monster xlr out to my presonus interface . Sound is much better..
That will only make a difference in level—which could account for what you're hearing. Louder sounds appears to have more highs.

That will only make a difference in level—which could account for what you're hearing. Louder sounds appears to have more highs.
I'm very confused, how do you change amp and cabinets in the ax8 without the computer, also how can you tell what amp in the amp block is chosen at any time

Usually by the preset title?

You can view/edit the Amp or Cab (or any) blocks from the front panel (without a computer) by.....
  1. Press the 'PAGE>' button to scroll to the 'Layout' page.
  2. Use the 'D' mini-knob to scroll left and right on the grid to select the block you wish to view/edit (the 'E' mini-knob scrolls up and down)
  3. Press the 'EDIT' button
  4. 'Shift+Page' left and 'Page' right for the different tabs.
  5. 'Shift+Nav' left and right to highlight the parameters needed.
  6. Use the mini-knobs to adjust the parameters.
Much easier with the editor.........

I'm very confused, how do you change amp and cabinets in the ax8 without the computer, also how can you tell what amp in the amp block is chosen at any time
Go to the Layout screen, navigate to the Amp block, and hit the Edit button. To change the cab, do the same thing—but navigate to the Cab block instead of the Amp block.

You can also just hit the 'EDIT' button repeatedly to cycle from left to right through all of the blocks currently in the preset.

Reactions: Rex
Also check high cut in cab block, and global EQ.
I'd do this with a stock preset.

Yes, the high cut on the cab block now
defaults to 10,000 instead of 20,000 like it use to. Bump it up a little and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom