Level mystery between scenes

Right click on the Level parameter in the Filter block to bring up the Modifier screen. PC Reset is in there.
Not sure if this is solved?
it's been mentioned above.

don't really understand under what circumstances one would want PC reset to be on, which would be nice to know!
From the User Manual:

PC RESET determines the value of a modifier’s external source when a preset first loads. This allows you to override the actual position of an external controller until it is moved/updated. Here’s how it works: even with a modifier applied, parameters always show a value which can be edited as usual. If PC RST is ON, this value will be used for the parameter until the source is updated.

it's been mentioned above.

From the User Manual:

PC RESET determines the value of a modifier’s external source when a preset first loads. This allows you to override the actual position of an external controller until it is moved/updated. Here’s how it works: even with a modifier applied, parameters always show a value which can be edited as usual. If PC RST is ON, this value will be used for the parameter until the source is updated.

Thanks Chris, so is PC Reset useful to have on say where you have something connected to an expression pedal so that the position of the pedal is ignored until you start to move it. I could see that being useful.

Sorry Moke, I think it was one of yours. Like I said I've made what I thought were significant changes to the preset. Not sure at what point it changes from your preset to mine, if ever. Apologies for any wrong doing.

I am using the sliders in "Output -> Scenes -> Sliders". Incidentally these sliders match the Output slider on the Output page.

If I use the dials in the Controllers page should I use Controller 1 or Controller 2 and how do I know which to choose.

Last edited:
Sorry Moke, I think it was one of yours. Like I said I've made what I thought were significant changes to the preset. Not sure at what point it changes from your preset to mine, if ever. Apologies for any wrong doing.

I am using the sliders in "Output -> Scenes -> Sliders". Incidentally these sliders match the Output slider on the Output page.

If I use the dials in the Controllers page should I use Controller 1 or Controller 2 and how do I know which to choose.
Pretty sure it's not one of mine. I'm thinking 'Freman'?

Any way, read post #12 real carefully. Reset all of the 'Output' mixer scene sliders back to '0' dB first. (2nd screenshot)

Scene Controller #2 is controlling the individual scene volumes by controlling the 'Level' parameter of the Filter block. Use the 5 knobs in the yellow square in the first screenshot to set the volumes of the 5 scenes (1st knob for scene 1, 2nd knob for scene #2, etc......)

Not sure if this is solved? To switch PC reset off, open the preset in AX8 Edit, open up the filter block, (or whatever block is being used to set the levels, could also be a volume block), then (right?) click on the level control with the modifier attached, i.e. on the yellow rectangle symbol in the centre of the knob. This will pop up the modifier edit box. Switch PC reset off. Thats it.

I now do this when using modifiers to prevent the problem you are having. I am not great at this stuff and don't really understand under what circumstances one would want PC reset to be on, which would be nice to know!
Thanks for that. I checked and PC reset was off for anything with a modifier.

Pretty sure it's not one of mine. I'm thinking 'Freman'?

Any way, read post #12 real carefully. Reset all of the 'Output' mixer scene sliders back to '0' dB first. (2nd screenshot)

Scene Controller #2 is controlling the individual scene volumes by controlling the 'Level' parameter of the Filter block. Use the 5 knobs in the yellow square in the first screenshot to set the volumes of the 5 scenes (1st knob for scene 1, 2nd knob for scene #2, etc......)
Sorry, yes I think you are right. I have a 5 scene pack by Fremen (sorry for any issues with posting the tweaked preset) and the Clean To Mean Pack 1 so I forgot which was which.

Can I just ask you to clarify one thing? You said using Controller #2 controls the level parameter of the Filter block. In this case that makes sense but what if there is no Filter block, or it is disabled in another scene? I can't seem to see how to choose which controller controls which block. Is there a particular block I should just add to each scene and use Controller #2. I don't really get why setting the output level per scene is not the best way to set the output level per scene.

Last edited:
Just tried and this method doesn't seem to work. Sc1 on 100% is quiet, Sc2 on 50% is where I want it, and Sc3 on 0% is too loud. I reset all the output level sliders to 0db.

Sorry, yes I think you are right. I have a 5 scene pack by Fremen (sorry for any issues with posting the tweaked preset) and the Clean To Mean Pack 1 so I forgot which was which.

Can I just ask you to clarify one thing? You said using Controller #2 controls the level parameter of the Filter block. In this case that makes sense but what if there is no Filter block, or it is disabled in another scene? I can't seem to see how to choose which controller controls which block. Is there a particular block I should just add to each scene and use Controller #2. I don't really get why setting the output level per scene is not the best way to set the output level per scene.
In this case, there is a Filter block that is on in all 5 scenes and is controlling the volume of each scene.

If you are referring to another preset, then you have to go to the 'Modifiers' tab and look at what attachments are being used in that particular preset.
modifiers.png

Just tried and this method doesn't seem to work. Sc1 on 100% is quiet, Sc2 on 50% is where I want it, and Sc3 on 0% is too loud. I reset all the output level sliders to 0db.
Is this on the preset that you first posted? This method worked for me?

Another example of 'Scene Controller' attachments. This time from one of my presets from the 'Clean to Mean' pack 1.

I added a Filter block the further reduce the 'Gain' of this high gain 'Lead' channel amp model, and also to shape the EQ going into the amp (pre-EQ).
  • Scene Controller 1 is controlling 4 different parameters
  1. Amp (Input Trim)...(highlighted in blue)...to reduce gain
  2. Filter 1 (Level).......(highlighted in red).....to further reduce gain
  3. Filter 1 (EQ Gain)..(highlighted in red)..to add some 'Pre-EQ' as the gain is reduced
  4. Input Noise Gate (Threshold)............to add more 'Gating' as gain is increased
  • Scene Controller 2
  1. Cab block (Level)..(highlighted in yellow).....per-scene volume adjustments
modifiers 2.png

Thanks for the help Moke. How can you tell which controller (#1 or #2) is linked to the modifier shown in yellow?

Watching this thread with interest. I have owned my AX8 for less than a month and have been busy with work and so havent been able to play with it enough. Straight out of the box, running through the factory presets I had a few occassions where I kicked on a preset and scene one was very low level, switched to scene 2 and then back to 1 and all was good. At the time I just thougth it was a weird bug that Ill sort out when I get back to it but surprised it happens on Factory Presets.

Controller, not scene I think. I thought Moke was showing which controller row (from the scenes page) controls which block. Or is that what Scene 1 actually means on that page? Scene (Controller) 1 and 2?

Last edited:
Ok, that's a bit confusing but thanks for the clarification. So are there particular blocks that should be used for level setting? Or just any output in the chain that doesn't have an undesired effect (like driving the amp harder)?

Ok, that's a bit confusing but thanks for the clarification. So are there particular blocks that should be used for level setting? Or just any output in the chain that doesn't have an undesired effect (like driving the amp harder)?
It is a bit confusing. There were some threads discussing this when scene controllers were first added. I still think that they should change the name to 'Scn Cntrl 1' and 'Scn Cntrl 2', or something like that?

I think Moke uses the cab block level which doesn't work for me because I use the FXloop block to route the signal to Out 2 before the cab block, so I can go Out 2 to to power amp and speaker and Out 1 to FRFR. I have patches that use filter blocks and others that use a volume block to compensate for different drive levels in the amp block. In short, I think you just use whatever works for you in the patch, as you intimated in your last sentence.

Back
Top Bottom