Wish Order of drive list

I think it would be greAt to have the ability to organize the order of drive pedal block either alphabetically or by gain.

Is there a reason for the order being the way it is?

And does anyone else dislike the bar across the top? I'm no Twinkle toes :)

I think it would be greAt to have the ability to organize the order of drive pedal block either alphabetically or by gain.
Let's say you have a drawer full of drive pedals. Do you line them up alphabetically or in order of gain? Or do you just put them in the drawer in whatever order they fall into? That's kind of how the FX8 drives are ordered. :)

When you're selecting a drive pedal, there are more important things that where its name turns up in the alphabet or how much gain it can put out when you dime everything.

And does anyone else dislike the bar across the top? I'm no Twinkle toes :)
The bar is there to prevent people from stepping on stuff they shouldn't step on. Because of that, I like it. A lot. It also makes for a handy way to pick up and carry the FX8.

Reactions: Ole
Let's say you have a drawer full of drive pedals. Do you line them up alphabetically or in order of gain? Or do you just put them in the drawer in whatever order they fall into? That's kind of how the FX8 drives are ordered. :)

Yeah, but I can see the pedals right? then I can pick the one I want as opposed to rolling a little virtual knob on a tiny green vintage screen.

When you're selecting a drive pedal, there are more important things that where its name turns up in the alphabet or how much gain it can put out when you dime everything.

Mmm. Again, as above. Would be easier in categories now that I think about it. In my drawer full on pedals I would organize them by category; if I couldn't see them.

The bar is there to prevent people from stepping on stuff they shouldn't step on. Because of that, I like it. A lot. It also makes for a handy way to pick up and carry the FX8.

So you're saying the design isn't questionable? I have a pod xt and hd (which I'm guessing they copied from?) and both have the bar but somehow It doesn't block the buttons. Honestly I had a helix (and a kemper) for a while and I'd say their interface is obviously not too shabby (too bad I hear the digital squirrel fizz and find it unusable and bloated. They all fall short to be honest but the fx8 sounds really great. There are a lot of things I don't like about it, the sound not being one of them.

So I think the bar is in a super silly position and would remove if I could. Quick.

I'll also say audio gap switching pedals on and off is pretty frustrating too.

And I'll also say in the first 30 days I spent a lot of time tweaking and less playing which I suppose I expected. But I'm still working on understanding how to tweak such intense and deep drives.

Still there's nothing like it. Sounds awesome. Not perfect by any means.

So you're saying the design isn't questionable?
Depends on what you mean. You can question anything. I do think the design is good.

I have a pod xt and hd (which I'm guessing they copied from?) and both have the bar but somehow It doesn't block the buttons.
Isn't that more of a Pod issue than an FX8 issue? :)

So I think the bar is in a super silly position and would remove if I could. Quick.
Check with Fractal support. Maybe you can.

I'll also say audio gap switching pedals on and off is pretty frustrating too.
There is no audio gap when switching blocks on and off.

And I'll also say in the first 30 days I spent a lot of time tweaking and less playing which I suppose I expected. But I'm still working on understanding how to tweak such intense and deep drives.
Tweaking can be as deep or as not-deep as you make it. The factory default values pretty much all deliver a great tone, with no tweaking at all.

Still there's nothing like it. Sounds awesome. Not perfect by any means.
Agreed.

Depends on what you mean. You can question anything. I do think the design is good.

Good not great.

Isn't that more of a Pod issue than an FX8 issue? :)

I said the pod bar that fractal may have copied is well placed. The fx8 is in a poor location. ...am I missing something?

Check with Fractal support. Maybe you can.

There is no audio gap when switching blocks on and off.

Hmm. It's an abrupt something when engaging other stuff. There's no spillover. There may not be rollover on analog but it sure seems easier at the moment to make a good transition with my pedals.

Tweaking can be as deep or as not-deep as you make it. The factory default values pretty much all deliver a great tone, with no tweaking at all.

True. But i will say that live I would never get into those deep parameters. I accidentally sweitched pages live and even changed the preset with the third knob. It would be nice to maybe bypass the in depth options. I'm going thru a tube amp not my computer. I don't want to use my computer to make adjustments.

I dunno. all I can say is how I honestly feel. I got berated at the line 6 forum because I heard digital distortion and tons of people said they didn't. Well actually, there's even a name for it, the line 6 "squirrels" and they're in there.

Point being; I would guess there are others that can see these flaws. It just seems so obvious to me but I'm glad it makes sense for you.

Agreed.

Spill-over is a mater of setting the Bypass state to the correct setting for the routing being used. 'Mute In' works in most Delay and Reverb cases.

Where would you put it?

I guess I'd throw it away before I'd put where it makes it tricky to hit a pair of switches.

Change Bypass Mode to MUTE FX IN. Perfect spillover.

Cool, I'll check it out. I will say I've never heard of a mute fx in option. Back to the manual I suppose which I think is kind of lame. Reminds to the feeling of using elektron gear. I never use the manual with my pedalboard.

It's good to say how you honestly feel. I'm doing the same thing. I won't berate you for doing that...even when I disagree. :)

For sure. And I'm seriously and very honestly I'm not trying to be rude.

I spent a few hours on it yesterday and today and I'm still struggling with matching levels. I feel like maybe this is really designed to work better with scrnes than a more traditional board. Do you think that's the case?

Right now I have a board with keely comp (few others) pog2, free drive or fuzz spot, kind of tone, a boost, volume, delay, verb and ep booster at the end.

It's clear, not oversaturated with drive pedals, no whacky volume jumps.

But I got this because a pedal went out and took me a few frustrating minutes figuring out what the problem was. Maybe this just gives a another set of problems that are essentially computer problems. It's a computer after all.

I just now took a break because the software seems to be running slower than I remember and because I've had to reset the unit cause of weird things going on such as looper wouldn't playback sound, weird oscillation noise, freezing. I have all the latest updates

Thanks for your help by the way

Take the bar away and say good by to any more firmware updates across the board. All hands on deck fixing all the broken knobs being kicked off on units being sent back for repair.

Personally I like the bar. I use it to carry or move the unit all the time. It's in a well balanced
position and it also protects the knobs from mishap. I've never once thought it was in the way
of anything. Different tastes I guess

Personally I like the bar. I use it to carry or move the unit all the time. It's in a well balanced
position and it also protects the knobs from mishap. I've never once thought it was in the way
of anything. Different tastes I guess

Do you wear pointy shoes? I can't see how people don't have the same issue. Sure, great to carry. Put it across the top, or on the side

No pointy shoes here. What is the issue you're having? I've never heard anyone complain about the bar before.
Edit. Hitting the bar before the buttons. Aka, missing the buttons and hitting the bar.

But yeah. I had 45 days with it and it's too bloated and too many options for me. I'm a guitar player not pedalboard developer.

I have sweet analog pedals and sweet amps and they kill and dial in quickly. I suppose a cover band or a band with a specific set list that needs a ton of sounds on tunes - that or recording I suppose.

But too many options. It reminds me of Logic (I swear it was made by software engineer and not musicians). Also reminds me of all the Elektron gear. People love this stuff and so do I. The fx8 is super sweet but I need more time playing and less time tweaking.

Either way. Pedal is amazing in many respects and best sounding one for sure. But for me, too much programming.

Last edited:
Hitting the buttons before the bar.
I don't get it. You're supposed to hit the buttons before the bar.

But yeah. I had 45 days with it and it's too bloated and too many options for me. I'm a guitar player not pedalboard developer.

I have sweet analog pedals and sweet amps and they kill and dial in quickly.
Then you may be better off sticking with your pedals. No harm, no foul. Use what works best for you.

I suppose a cover band or a band with a specific set list that needs a ton of sounds on tunes - that or recording I suppose.

(I swear it was made by software engineer and not musicians).
The heart of the FX8's design is from someone who is both.

I like the bar where it is. No pointy shoes, no issues hitting the buttons instead of the bar. Just my experience.

Back
Top Bottom