What speakers to use with my Axe FX?

O1111

I've been using regular studio monitors with my axe fx 2 (KRK VXT6's), and i've been doing more research and found that I should use power speakers or even cabinets. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what is the best speaker to use with my axe fx 2 that is good for just jamming at home. Something the size of a 2x12 cabinet.

Thank you!

I love my 1x12 active XiTone. I was practicing for hours and hours over the past few days and I just keep marveling at how amazing it sounds.

Looks like I know what i'm getting next! Thank you.

Mick Farlow (the man behind XiTone) is on the forum (particularly in the Amos and Cabs section) and you can message him there. That's how I did it. He was great to work with and can do all sorts of customizations.

I've been using regular studio monitors with my axe fx 2 (KRK VXT6's), and i've been doing more research and found that I should use power speakers or even cabinets. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what is the best speaker to use with my axe fx 2 that is good for just jamming at home. Something the size of a 2x12 cabinet.

Thank you!

Aren't the VXT6's powered monitors?

If you're not leaving the house, I'd think you'd be better off with good quality studio monitors. You'll get stereo bang for your buck that way. Everyone loves the XiTones, but a pair of them with internal amps is going to run over $1K. You can get an awful lot of studion monitor for that money.

If you just play at home it makes no real sense to use anything other than studio monitors. Your KRK's are very good speakers.

Spending tons of money just to have something than can put out 110+ dB to play in your home makes no sense. Its just going to damage your hearing, annoy the neighbors etc

No feels they need to go get a nightclub sound system putting out 10,000 watts to listen to music at home, so feeling you need high output stage monitors to practice your guitar in your bedroom doesn't make much sense either.

Now I will say the Atomic CLR sounds very good at quiet volume, but they are $1000 a piece, and spending that kind of money to ONLY use it at home seems silly. If you think you'll be doing live shows etc then it makes sense, but for a home user its as silly as having a 4x12 cabinet at a 100 watt head in your room.

Hi I ve just bought a pair of two new Xi Tones cabs to Mick , he has created a new product , class"D " with Bluetooth..... Mick is very kind , almost as much as his cabs sound amazing , unbelievable....
I did not expected such a perfect sound....
Satisfaction garantee....
I will post a thread on my thoughts on thes new cabs.....
Fafa

I love my Xitone 10" active speakers. They're lightweight (26 lbs), loud (Matrix Elements power modules with DSP to compensate for Fletcher Munson at low volumes) and built like tanks.

Like others have said, I'd stick with studio monitors for home jamming. I have Mackie MR8's that get me plenty loud for jamming in the studio. For shows I go direct to FOH and IEM's for my monitoring, but I have plugged into my EV ELX112P's from time to time at home to listen to my patches with some extra oomph behind them. I can't break away from how good stereo sounds. Even if my FOH signal is summed to mono at their board, I still send myself stereo to my IEM's. If you do pick up something extra, I'd suggest that it be self powered, and get two ;)

Thank you!

You don't need to use power (active) speakers or a guitar cabinet. If you're just home jamming, the KRKs are perfect. Plus you can take advantage of going stereo. When I practice at home, I use my studio monitors (Equator D5) and it sounds great. I use a regular guitar cabinet when I play on stage, though, but that's because I need the volume of a 4x12 cab.

If you just play at home it makes no real sense to use anything other than studio monitors.

To each their own I guess. I have studio monitors as well as a Yamaha DXR10 floor monitor and much prefer the Yamaha...for my bedroom jamming. Maybe my monitors aren't the best (JBL LSR305's) but playing thru them does not feel the same as playing thru the larger more power Yamaha. Nothing is "silly" so long as the end result is achieved. I used to have a 100-watt Friedman BE-100 in my small music room at home and even though that may seem like overkill, how else would you achieve the Friedman tone? Well, before the AX8 anyway. ;-)

Well, being in the business of hearing healthcare, I'm to some degree all in favor of people blasting their eardrums at unsafe decibel levels for extended periods of time, because that kid who sits and noodles in front of a crank 4x12 ensures job security lol. People are certainly free to listen/play music at whatever volume they want, just as they are free to shoot guns without hearing protection, use chainsaws, smoke cigarettes, eat red meat etc. Plenty of information about there about what is and isn't safe, and we can all choose which things we think are worth paying attention to and which aren't. I certainly do plenty of things that aren't in the best interest of my health, but I also do try to do other things that I think make good sense....

In a more practical nature, I think the question of if ones "bedroom" is in an apartment complex or their own home makes a huge difference in the debate. If you've got people on the sides and above/below you, or likely going to be pretty limited in how loud you can play before having complaints. I remember back when I'd get people banging on the ceiling when I was just trying to get even my 5 watt amp at a modest volume. Shared living can be a real PITA

On the other hand, if one lives in a home out in the country, you can probably crank a 100 watt head and no one will likely be around to complain, unless of course you've got a wife, kids etc at home, which again from experience can be a real limiting factor. I've have high wattage amps and large cabs and while I can crank it without neighbor complaints, the misses certainly raises all hell when stuff starts vibrating off the shelves....

The OP's needs are for "just jamming at home"

I would question is he/she happy with the KRK's ?? Is this just an issue of "the internet" making someone believe they "need" active monitors or a tube amp/cabinet setup just because "other people" on the internet, likely with very different needs, use that ?

Its liking thinking you need an R8 just because a lot of guys on a site like TGP have one...

I do have a pair of CLR's, but I also have some 6" Sceptre coaxial active desktop monitors. Both sound fantastic at equal volumes, with the desktop monitors giving me the best imaging. The CLR's are reserved more for times when I take them out of the house and can get far louder. The desktop monitors though can easily get to a volume level where I would not want it any higher for home use.

If anything, they work a bit better for dialing in some patches though, as the CLR's, at least when they are in my smaller office/music room, really tend to have too much bass. Its an untreated room after all, and while I can get an awesome kick in the chest thumb with each palm mute, the sound doesn't translate that well to playback on other systems.

Its not the fault of the CLR's, its an untreated room issue. Best way to combat that is to listen with near or midfield monitors, which give be a bit more representative idea of my tones because I'm hearing things more direct.

Luckily for the OP, he/she has some easy options, such as buying an ASM-12, or DRX10 etc from a place like MF or Sweetwater, which will gladly let you return it if your not happy. Likewise Atomic gives you 15 days to return as well

So, give it a try. Don't sell your KRK's yet, or likely keep them for mixing etc, and see if your happy with something like a high power active wedge for home use. If it makes you happier, if your neighbors don't complain etc, keep it and be happy.

I certainly like having the option to use the CLR's, and sometimes drag them out into the family room when everyone is gone and play a bit louder. I also like having nice desktop monitors always at the ready, which are great for late night etc.

Choice is good

I love my Xitone 10" active speakers. They're lightweight (26 lbs), loud (Matrix Elements power modules with DSP to compensate for Fletcher Munson at low volumes) and built like tanks.

All of which is really their advantage when you're playing out. Weight and durability are big factors for stuff you take out of your basement. Not so much for "studio" stuff.

As to volume, the Yorkville 8" monitors I've been using are around 100 watts a piece, and I know for a fact that they are loud enough to make my ears ring.

I just heard the FR12p's with the GT1000FX at NAMM at the BTPA booth and they were awesome!!! I'd give those a look

Quilter had some really nice ones, the Aviators. They are a little smaller than a 2x12 but sounded great.

Last edited:
I have 2 1k watt ev live x at home for just jamming and they give me all the low and blow you up volume, sound, feel, amp in the room kind of stuff I need. THERE IS NO COMPARISON 2 my equator (highly rated) desktops. So If you want to at least occasionally sound like you are really using an amp, go big!

Back
Top Bottom