Sykes Whitesnake/Blue Murder Patch

Axe-Master
Here's my take on a John Sykes Whitesnake 1987/Blue Murder style crunch tone. I found that weaking my go to USA C++ preset by changing the drive and EQ slightly and adding some hall reverb got me in the territory. Using a Les Paul with a Dirty Fingers and channeling that hyper aggressive picking and vibrato are the other essential pieces of the puzzle. Enjoy!

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5633

dude ... your tone and playing is off the charts... congrats!! .... quick question do you play these Patches out live? do they translate well? or do you have to tweet them for a live rig??

Last edited:
dude ... your tone and playing is off the charts... congrats!! .... quick question do you play these Patches out live? do they translate well? or do you have to tweet them for a live rig??

This particular patch is more or less the same amp/cab as my main gigging patch; I rarely do any tweaking other than adjust the OUT1 level in the case the mixing board doesn't take line level.

Are you eq ing to make it sound like the Marshall's he used or did he use a Mesa? Always great tone from you brother just curious

My understanding is that 1987 was a Mesa Mark 3 Coliseum, so I used the C++ as a starting point but tried to keep it from getting too scooped.

Sounds great man. I'd like to hear it with some nice 80's chorus or pitch shift detune or even the Enhancer block to really give it that 80's greasy epicness!

Thanks, am curious to try this as my current band is doing some Thin Lizzy with Sykes on guiter (Cold Sweat) and I've been meaning to refine my current tone for that song.

Back
Top Bottom