ML USA Djent vs Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb!!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Okay guys here's the comparison as promised. I might do a video explaining this a bit more but this should pretty much cover it.

On paper, yes these are both the Mesa 4x12 cabinet. Yes they both have the original and best V30 speakers that were made for Mesa and are 70W. That's where the similarities end. Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb was the best 4x12 Mesa collection available until a few days ago. Don't take that the wrong way. A Mesa 4x12 collection will always sound really good. It's the best cabinet ever created. The thing is that it's really hard to find these early Mesa cabs with speakers that are in perfect condition.

The cabinet we used for Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb looked like it went to war. The cloth had holes in it, the tolex was torn everywhere and the speakers had gone through touring for around a decade. They were still the original speakers but they were really tired. This can be a really good thing and I definitely think it gives Cab Pack 13 a unique sound which is why I will continue to use it for "that sound" that is IMHO similar to a Pre-Rola Marshall sound, you can't make it harsh even with presence on full. After all it's the sound of Periphery III: Select Difficulty, definitely a bucket list moment for me personally.

The reason why ML USA Djent destroys Cab Pack 13 is that it's a Mesa 4x12 in it's prime. It's really hard to find one of these older cabinets that has not been A) toured for so long that the speakers are dead or B) sitting in a studio and was never turned loud enough for the cab to start doing it's thing. So before we shot this pack I had three Mesa 4x12 cabs in my studio, of which this cab was the clear winner. It's been used enough to get rid of that bee sting buzz in your ear that you will get from new speakers when driven loud. But at the same time it's only been toured enough so that the speakers still have life to them.

Now that I've explained the story behind it all have a listen to them side by side. First it's ML USA DJENT, the second time around it's Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb:

ML_COMP.png

These are Ace IR's from the packs. That means they're scientifically the best positions we could find on the cabs. They're single SM57 IR's with the mic on a different speaker per side (one on a bottom and one on a top speaker).

So what's the difference in layman's terms?

ML USA Djent is:
-easier to play with because of it's open sound
-you don't have to pick so hard to cut through
-you will sit way better in a mix
-you will sound tighter
-you will feel like a carpet has been lifted off of your cab

Let's all acknowledge that Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb is the most used Fractal Audio Cab Pack. Any Mesa 4x12 pack I would do after would have to be a significant upgrade and I can honestly admit that I've shot a couple of 4x12 Mesa cabs that have not been released because they weren't better than Cab Pack 13. I will never repackage the same product and trick people to buying the same pack over and over again. I see this happen a lot these days I'm afraid. I hope these clips and the examples coming your way will make it clear that we're in fact talking about a difference as big as a V30 vs a Greenback speaker.

Stay tuned for more information! :)

I don't have Cab Pack 13, but I've been thinking of picking it up. Now, I don't djent (well I've been known to once in a while, but it's not my thing generally), but I wanted a good Mesa IR for more traditional heavy metal, and I'm wondering if you think the Djent cab pack is a better choice for that over 13. It seems to have more tonal balance based on this comparison, and sounds less "dark" or "bass-y", so I think it might be.

I don't have Cab Pack 13, but I've been thinking of picking it up. Now, I don't djent (well I've been known to once in a while, but it's not my thing generally), but I wanted a good Mesa IR for more traditional heavy metal, and I'm wondering if you think the Djent cab pack is a better choice for that over 13. It seems to have more tonal balance based on this comparison, and sounds less "dark" or "bass-y", so I think it might be.
Clarity and brightness is ultimately what it comes down to. ML USA Djent almost feels like it's more hi-fi in comparison. Both are really good options. There are hundreds of amazing clips with CP13. ML USA Djent is still new but I bet most people using CP13 will start using ML USA Djent once they get it.

Now that I've explained the story behind it all have a listen to them side by side. First it's ML USA DJENT, the second time around it's Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb:

The side-by-side comparison is really illuminating. Your "high fidelity" comment really becomes apparent hearing them compared.

What guitar did you record the clips with? I love how tight it sounds.

The side-by-side comparison is really illuminating. Your "high fidelity" comment really becomes apparent hearing them compared.

What guitar did you record the clips with? I love how tight it sounds.
Thank you so much @iaresee !

The guitar is a PRS CE24 that is completely stock. :)

Ah crap. I guess I can't blame my guitar now when I try to djent and just kind of fall flat! :D
PRS is the way to go! I don't djent that much myself and I don't think this clip is djent necessarily but I really liked Mark Holcomb's US PRS signature models. I actually got to try his 7-string PRS as well, and I told the whole Periphery gang that Mark has the best signature guitars... period. :D Nolly plays bunch of PRS guitars as well.

I've been thinking about getting Cab Pack 13 for a while now. I'm still loving the sounds I'm getting with cab pack 7 so I've been hesitant. Maybe it's time for an upgrade to the Djent pack...I have 2 old Recto cabs with the 70w speakers in them so I'm sure I'll dig this.

I've been thinking about getting Cab Pack 13 for a while now. I'm still loving the sounds I'm getting with cab pack 7 so I've been hesitant. Maybe it's time for an upgrade to the Djent pack...I have 2 old Recto cabs with the 70w speakers in them so I'm sure I'll dig this.
Definitely a good idea. After all I shot Cab Pack 7 over three years ago so might be that my IR production skills have developed at least slightly. :) Although this Djent pack is airier than Cab Pack 13 it still has more beef than Cab Pack 7.

That's awesome Jared! :)

PS. I just realized that your nickname is an inception type name.. remember the crap... that happened to your shoes in NYC? :O INCEPTION!

I do, I still regard that puddle as the deepest I have ever had the displeasure of encountering lol.
I'd still do it over again though :D, although perhaps next time in my crapboots.

Hey I just wanted share some great feedback from a reader of this thread! :)

Cannon McDonald said:
Just picked up the new ML USA Djent cab pack, really digging it.

Definitely more aggressive and open-sounding for metal, but still nice and full and heavy on the low end without any flub. Brighter in a good way without harshness.

The forum thread detailing the differences between it and the older Bulb USA pack was spot-on in it's description. Highly recommended if you enjoyed the previous pack but want something a bit more modern-sounding/hi-fi.

Using Misha Mix 2 in particular. FAS Brootalz for the amp, everything default besides gain at 8.

Cannon here :) I wholeheartedly approve of my approval being approved of, haha. I need to post more on the actual forum here rather than just the FB groups...

Really digging the new Misha presets that come with the pack too, the 5150 Block preset sounds absolutely insane. Always nice to see some different approaches to tweaking in order to spark some ideas for one's own tones.

Cannon here :) I wholeheartedly approve of my approval being approved of, haha. I need to post more on the actual forum here rather than just the FB groups...

Really digging the new Misha presets that come with the pack too, the 5150 Block preset sounds absolutely insane. Always nice to see some different approaches to tweaking in order to spark some ideas for one's own tones.
I agree! It's interesting to see how people achieve these tones with different picking styles and guitars. :)

That's very much on topic!! :) The new ML USA Djent pack doesn't have "Alloy Aces" mostly because we got so much usable versatility out of the Alloys that we didn't feel like limiting people but instead encourage people to explore a bit deeper and the quick options will most likely be the Misha mixes for most users.

Still in this comparison you'll see that the ML USA Djent brightness is much closer to Cab Pack 7 than Cab Pack 13. Cab Pack 13 is still one of the best packs and I don't feel like releasing any Cab Pack will make Cab Pack 13 obsolete. :) They're all good!!

Back
Top Bottom