New ML USA Djent cab pack - short rock/metal piece for a horror film (no djenting though, sorry)

shaunb

Experienced

Hi guys and girls.
It's been a while, got a few projects on the go.

I've been working on some short musical pieces for an upcoming film and used the project as an opportunity to test out the new USA Djent Cab Pack from ML Sound Lab.

This is more of a heavy rock/metal project and I think this pack rocks as well as it djents.

All guitars tracked using the Recto1 Red sim and a couple of SM57-M160 IRs from the new ML USA Djent pack.

Here's the preset if anyone wants it.

Attachments

• SB Recto HBE ML USA Djent pack Q8.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I have been waiting to hear a non Djent clip from this pack! Sounds great!
I've got a few more non djent pieces I'll post soon. I couldn't djent if I tried, I don't have the brain capacity to pull it off.

I wrote a couple of Chris Cornell inspired songs when he passed away, might re-track them with the new pack to see how they sound.

Sounds great, would you mind share preset and cab recipe?

I think it has a great sound too! I would love to know your recipe as well or a preset minus cabs.

I'll check the preset when I get home.
From memory it was:

TS8 on clean boost

Recto1 Red
Gain 4.5
Bass 4
Mid 5
Treb 6

ML USA Djent IRs
Left guitar: SM57-M160 AB
Right guitar: SM57-M160 BB

Reverb: Rec Studio A at about 3%.

I'll upload the preset when I get the chance.

Hey Shaun, I am curious as to how much this pack differs from the last Misha pack. I purchased that one and they are my go to cabs for everything. My guess is that they are probably pretty darn similar but figured I'd ask.

Hey Shaun, I am curious as to how much this pack differs from the last Misha pack. I purchased that one and they are my go to cabs for everything. My guess is that they are probably pretty darn similar but figured I'd ask.
They're actually quite a bit different. I'll be creating a thread explaining the difference a bit more. Long story short: they're the same cabinet which is the best cabinet Mesa every made. The 4x12 with the original old Mesa 70w V30 speakers. The difference however is that Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb had seen a lot of touring, so much that its sound was actually similar to something like a Marshall Pre-Rola. It's super soft and clear and works wonderfully for just about everything. Well listen to this clip with ML USA Djent first and ML USA Bulb second. They're the same take. SM57 mic on a different speaker on both cabs. Ace IR's so scientifically the best positions on the cabinets for an SM57:

Think about how these two will sit in a mix. In comparison ML USA Djent will be so much better and ready to go. It will cut but it's still a Mesa 4x12 in it's prime. It's still 10 years old so the speakers are worn in but not worn out. They still have life to them. I can not stress enough that we had three different 4x12 Mesa cabs to choose from and we chose this with Misha because it was "just right".

This is a very honest comparison. That's my Mark IV preset that's not tweaked to work with either of these Cab Packs.

Sounds great, would you mind share preset and cab recipe?

I think it has a great sound too! I would love to know your recipe as well or a preset minus cabs.

OK, I got it slightly wrong.
Gain at 5
Bass at 3.5

The rest was right.

Here's the preset I used (XL+ Q8.02)
I used scene 1 only on this recording and tracked the left side with SM57-M160 AB and the right side with SM57-M160 BB as previously mentioned.
The preset has a couple of Recto1 Red and HBE amps in it, so feel free to play with it all.

Attachments

• SB Recto HBE ML USA Djent pack Q8.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 26
OK, I got it slightly wrong.
Gain at 5
Bass at 3.5

The rest was right.

Here's the preset I used (XL+ Q8.02)
I used scene 1 only on this recording and tracked the left side with SM57-M160 AB and the right side with SM57-M160 BB as previously mentioned.
The preset has a couple of Recto1 Red and HBE amps in it, so feel free to play with it all.
Thanks so much!!

Howdy Narsh.
For me this pack seems a little more mix ready as Mikko mentioned.
I feel like this pack benefits from the approach Mikko took on the Zilla pack which has been my go to up to now.
There's a really present yet smooth quality that sits really nicely for me. It's bright but not abrasive in the highs.

I think it's more balance and slightly less hairy in the mids than CP13.
It's a more mid scooped pack than previous releases but lots of warmer IRs in there for rock players like me.

Overall, I really like it.
Really easy to dial in good tones and the playability of the IR's are great. I don't sound quite as sloppy haha.

Very nice!
How did you produce the bass and drums on this recording?

I used EZDrummer2 for the drums.
This kit is a combination of the Progressive and Metal Machine expansions.
Basically its the Default DW Kit from the Progressive EZX and I switched out the snare to the Sonor Artist Bronze from the Metal Machine EZX.
I also used hihats, a splash and a china from Metal Machine.

The bass is based (no pun intended) on a preset posted a year or two ago by @SeeD (check his stuff out, it's kickass).
When I first got my XL+ I found the bass tone to be the hardest thing to get right. I had no clue. His preset work really great and I changed a few things to fit my gear and taste.
The IR is ML USA Bass MD421 D 10 from the beta test. I'd imagine it made it into the final pack.
My bass is a G&L L-2500 Tribute and it sounds great for my thing.
In post I used a compressor, a distortion plugin called "DaTube" to add a little dirt and warmth, then a little EQ to bump the mids a little at about 1.4k just to pop through the mix a little.

That's it.

Here's the preset (I never updated it with firmware upgrades but it still works for me).
Once again, credit goes to @SeeD for the original preset that I based this on.

Attachments

• SB BASS G&L.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Howdy Narsh.
For me this pack seems a little more mix ready as Mikko mentioned.
I feel like this pack benefits from the approach Mikko took on the Zilla pack which has been my go to up to now.
There's a really present yet smooth quality that sits really nicely for me. It's bright but not abrasive in the highs.

I think it's more balance and slightly less hairy in the mids than CP13.
It's a more mid scooped pack than previous releases but lots of warmer IRs in there for rock players like me.

Overall, I really like it.
Really easy to dial in good tones and the playability of the IR's are great. I don't sound quite as sloppy haha.
Thanks buddy, its sounds great. Really dig the mix. I used the same SEED patch for my bass as well just tweaked a hair to taste but yeah I totally agree that the Bass was the hardest to dial in when I first got my AXEFX.

In any case, great job again. Really enjoyed the quick little demo.

They're actually quite a bit different. I'll be creating a thread explaining the difference a bit more. Long story short: they're the same cabinet which is the best cabinet Mesa every made. The 4x12 with the original old Mesa 70w V30 speakers. The difference however is that Cab Pack 13 ML USA Bulb had seen a lot of touring, so much that its sound was actually similar to something like a Marshall Pre-Rola. It's super soft and clear and works wonderfully for just about everything. Well listen to this clip with ML USA Djent first and ML USA Bulb second. They're the same take. SM57 mic on a different speaker on both cabs. Ace IR's so scientifically the best positions on the cabinets for an SM57:

Think about how these two will sit in a mix. In comparison ML USA Djent will be so much better and ready to go. It will cut but it's still a Mesa 4x12 in it's prime. It's still 10 years old so the speakers are worn in but not worn out. They still have life to them. I can not stress enough that we had three different 4x12 Mesa cabs to choose from and we chose this with Misha because it was "just right".

This is a very honest comparison. That's my Mark IV preset that's not tweaked to work with either of these Cab Packs.

Thanks for that... I'm pretty much sold at this point. Very clear distinction there. Just keeps getting better.

Back
Top Bottom