Axe Fx for my mac

Helix will prolly drop end of July. They started beta testing this week.

Everyone needs to give up on the fractal plugin. Its not gunna happen. I was told specifically that it is not in their agenda.

Helix Native will drop this summer, and its a fantastic option for people who dont wanna drop a lot of money on a good modeler.

Helix if setup well can sound really great IMO, and as for software, S-Gear is IMO capable of fantastic tones, I find that I prefer it to the AxeFx in many cases, Looking forward to S-Gear V3, and on top of that there is something else in the pipeline that is still some way off that I am unable to talk about that will blow your minds, it covers all bases and the tone is out off this world, Better than AxeFx? Yes IMO, but it's real plus is it's versatility, and layout, it's super simple to get great tones, and it covers studio and live and all options in between.

I hope Fractal have a plan for the future, and they understand the way the market is going, and realise that the competition is going to be tougher than it has been so far, it's very obvious they need to have a software version that works alongside the hardware at some point, if they don't prepare for that they will get left behind, because what is coming is better than what has been so far and way better thought out for all needs and use, I still believe Fractal must know this and have a plan, I hope so because the more options the better for us all.

I don't think it's obvious at all that Fractal needs to do a software version. Why? What do they get out of it? More users? More opportunity for hackers to break their code? I think they're sitting pretty as it is. They have a hack proof dongle, pretty much. Cliff's gotta protect his intellectual property. And as I've said before he'd open the floodgates of headaches by having to make it compatible with the various CPUs, and other software apps. Then having to pay fees to Apple, etc.

People want to use the Axe? Buy one.

Reactions: Ole
I don't think it's obvious at all that Fractal needs to do a software version. Why? What do they get out of it? More users? More opportunity for hackers to break their code? I think they're sitting pretty as it is. They have a hack proof dongle, pretty much. Cliff's gotta protect his intellectual property. And as I've said before he'd open the floodgates of headaches by having to make it compatible with the various CPUs, and other software apps. Then having to pay fees to Apple, etc.

People want to use the Axe? Buy one.

Well the thing is that the competition is going to get extremely tough in the future, and with the helix software and the other software getting better and better, and then something very new and very different that is coming down the road, that covers software and hardware in a seamless way, and with a tone that may even make a tone searcher like you sit up and notice. Fractal will get left behind unless they prepare for that, but maybe they have great plans I don't know, but what I do know is that software is 100% un deniably going to compete favourably tone wise with the Fractal hardware currently available.

Well the thing is that the competition is going to get extremely tough in the future, and with the helix software and the other software getting better and better, and then something very new and very different that is coming down the road, that covers software and hardware in a seamless way, and with a tone that may even make a tone searcher like you sit up and notice. Fractal will get left behind unless they prepare for that, but maybe they have great plans I don't know, but what I do know is that software is 100% un deniably going to compete favourably tone wise with the Fractal hardware currently available.
Yeah. Could be. I still think Fractal is way ahead of the curve. Only those companies like UAD who protect their stuff with bullet proof dongles seem safe. Companies like Massive and GML trust this proprietary system. But merely software alone? Nah. Not even so much an iLok. I hope Cliff doesn't go the software route. Let those other companies do it. As soon as it's out there someone will crack it.

Reactions: Ole
Out of curiosity I googled a little and indeed like Rico pointed out the VST version would be quite appreciated.

"I will take whatever Mike will do. Right now I am very happy with what S Gear is doing. I prefer to have quality over quantity. I sold my Axe Fx when I bought the first version of S Gear! I saved a lot of money because the Axe FX was too much for what I was using. I am not giging though so may be other people have other needs"
https://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/8-wishlist/7405-what-would-you-like-to-see-in-s-gear-3-0

A VST would greatly improve the easiness with experimenting, right now one needs to nail the sound beforehand or going via the re-amping route - for double takes it's still not a full picture with re-amping, a VST would be a great help here.

I wouldn't mind even if the Fractal VST would require the AXE FX hardware to work as a security measure.

As soon as it's out there someone will crack it.

Well that's not the case with what I'm talking about as you will come to see, I still believe software is inevitable or be taken out the market, I understand that some people think the AxeFx is unmatched in tone and options, and that means they can just carry on as is because for live it's unbeatable, well that is probably true at this point but the future is another story, what if you could have all the tone and effects and great UI and loads of routing, plus full software integration and seamless connection, plus great build quality and layout, plus a superb pricing structure with options, how would you feel about that? and what would happen to those that didn't bother with the software side of things, (even though that is what the large majority actually want) and charged a big wedge for the hardware? I think they would find themselves struggling.

Anyway I hope Fractal do well and make the right decisions, they have my best wishes at heart, I won't go on about this any longer.

Last edited:
People act as if Fractal has the a secret code that no one will ever top. It will be inevitable that a better product will come out. Inevitable, so as Rico stated, it is wise to move along with the waves of the ocean, than against it. Line 6 is doing great things, and one day, we will soon see another company put out something even better, with software options as well. This is inevitable. Fractal won't be at the top of the heap much longer unless they open the doors to a software solution.

Rico.... the thing you cant talk about, is this a 2017 or beyond release? I just built a beefy new DAW for my studio and am looking hard for a new VST to replace GR5. Having a long love affair with my ultra I was super stocked for the future Fractal release but now that that has been shot down am looking at Native or something else. As I dont have a helix I would have to pay full price but if there is something in the not so distant future I might hold off.

I tried Bias, sgear and some others but the current gen of software IMHO cant touch the current hardware. Native looks super tempting.

Rico.... the thing you cant talk about, is this a 2017 or beyond release? I just built a beefy new DAW for my studio and am looking hard for a new VST to replace GR5. Having a long love affair with my ultra I was super stocked for the future Fractal release but now that that has been shot down am looking at Native or something else. As I dont have a helix I would have to pay full price but if there is something in the not so distant future I might hold off.

I tried Bias, sgear and some others but the current gen of software IMHO cant touch the current hardware. Native looks super tempting.

Definitely beyond 2017.

I would get the plugin in a heartbeat. I'm also eyeing the Helix Native. I suspect if I go down the Native path, I may end up eventually selling the Axe FX II simply because the Helix is "good enough" for me and streamlines my workflow across recording/live in a single laptop. In an ideal world I'd know if the Fractal plugin was in the pipeline (a question if when rather than if), so I could wait for it. But alas... we have to make decisions with the best information we have and live with the consequences.
Helix Native is out now.

Not that impressed...

Yeah. Could be. I still think Fractal is way ahead of the curve. Only those companies like UAD who protect their stuff with bullet proof dongles seem safe. Companies like Massive and GML trust this proprietary system. But merely software alone? Nah. Not even so much an iLok. I hope Cliff doesn't go the software route. Let those other companies do it. As soon as it's out there someone will crack it.

Not sure if you noticed that you are posting in the "Fractal Software" area under "plugins"... I would venture to guess that Fractal is going the software route.

To add my 2 cents, I think every FX\amp company is going to have to get into software based products. In a couple of years I am sure you will be seeing a lot more guys using iphones\ipads\tablets\laptops in place of amps\racks.

Helix Native is out now.

Not that impressed...

I had a go last night. I am still missing the modern marshall high gain tones (JVM, HBE etc) a little. I hear an HBE is coming in the next update, and I got in the ballpark with the 5150. I had a positive first impression, gonna take the plunge.

I don't know why the passion for a software version. I guess there's a movement to have software everything. Software guitar you don't have to actually play would be perfect. I can't wait for that. There are many software amp simulators. They're not equal to the AXE. I like going to a gig and bringing an "amp". I use the Axe in my studio. It's easy. I can see if Cliff came up with a perfect dongle. But WHY?????? Why put the code out there? Why give yourself the headache of having to be compatible with various systems and OSes? If you make it they will come. When the time comes, a ways off, where EVERYTHING will be on a home computer, yeah. But we ain't there yet.

I don't know what Cliff's plans are, but I hope he doesn't do it.

I'm with @henryrobinett on most of his points. A software version would be nice, but when I'm heading into performance, I want my tone-making rig to be self-contained hardware that's dedicated to making tones. I don't want to share CPU with web browsers and the hundreds of other processes, bloatware and spyware that run on a general-purpose computer. And I don't want the security vulnerabilities that come with that.

"Big gig coming up. Did I run my virus scanner before the show and kill all of the unnecessary processes?" No thank you.

Going software doesn't mean no more hardware. ?!? You don't need it, good for you. But some of us do. Some of us have studios, not live bands. Different products for different people. "Why do we have an fx8 and an ax8. Just stick with the axe fx!" That's basically what you guys are saying regarding a software version.

Going software doesn't mean no more hardware. ?!? You don't need it, good for you. But some of us do. Some of us have studios, not live bands. Different products for different people. "Why do we have an fx8 and an ax8. Just stick with the axe fx!" That's basically what you guys are saying regarding a software version.
Yeah, well I have a studio. I've owned and operated studios for many, many years. Not ALL of my outboard gear is software. Some of the best is hardware. And I have both the Axe Fx II XL+ and AX8. Now I use the AX8 for my live gigs and the Axe Fx II stays racked in my studio. I've recorded many albums for myself and others. I have zero problem using the Axe Fx II in the studio. I thank god it's not software for this very reason. It keeps all the other software clean. I don't have to worry about bugs and taxing the already burdened CPU.

Sure we all have different needs. I just don't understand this need. It works fantastically well in the studio as is. I keep the AF sysex info right in my DAW. A piece of cake.

I had a go last night. I am still missing the modern marshall high gain tones (JVM, HBE etc) a little. I hear an HBE is coming in the next update, and I got in the ballpark with the 5150. I had a positive first impression, gonna take the plunge.

Same here. I am a hot rodded Marshall fanatic and could only find a 2204 and what I assume is a SLO 100 Lead. I cannot believe they sound this bad. I will look for the 5150 and keep playing with it. I have a great SLO 100 lead patch on my 11R that beats the Helix. And this is using the same ownhammer ir on each. Must be doing something wrong. Still saving for the AX8. Fractal is light years ahead in the power amp section modeling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom