NGD ......My First JEM !

Congrats on the new Jem! I've got an '09 that has yet to reveal the crack in the neck pocket, but I'm waiting for it. Lol Almost all of them seem to do it. I honestly don't play mine that much, so that might be why it hasn't done it yet. Use to have an S540 from '95 or '96, and the lower horn split for no apparent reason. Just opened up like a sandwich. Wasn't dropped, mishandled, etc. Just weird.

So true. Once you've played an Edge, you wonder what the fuss over Floyds is all about.
Most definitely... I mean, it is a Floyd Rose licensed design, but I think they perfected it. And the others always look a bit cheap to me now :)

Brad, how is the neck on your Jem?

Is it Fender chunky or is it more like an EBMM Axis in terms of depth of the neck from finger board surface to back of the neck?

Is it Fender chunky or is it more like an EBMM Axis in terms of depth of the neck from finger board surface to back of the neck?
They are pretty thin. According to this link, it is either 19mm at 1st fret, 21mm at 12th fret or 18mm and 20mm.

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

Not quite a Wizard neck profile, which is 17mm and 19mm respectively.

I've never found a thinner neck profile...

Thin and wide. "Ibanezy." Large radius (16", I think). Me likey.

Cool, thanks guys.

My hands are 60% palm, 40% fingers in terms of proportions, so if the neck is thin enough, I can play a thin wide neck like PRS with no issues.

Some wide thick necks (most Fender Teles & Strats) I would have to play like a Chapman Stick due to my funky hand proportions.

I can see myself checking out a JEM soon. Fingers crossed that the wide factor works for me.

Cool, thanks guys.

My hands are 60% palm, 40% fingers in terms of proportions, so if the neck is thin enough, I can play a thin wide neck like PRS with no issues.

Some wide thick necks (most Fender Teles & Strats) I would have to play like a Chapman Stick due to my funky hand proportions.

I can see myself checking out a JEM soon. Fingers crossed that the wide factor works for me.
It's a great profile for single-note runs, or anything that benefits from the "classical grip."

The first time I picked up a Wizard neck, my first reaction was, "Ooh, this is nice!" I hope you have the same good luck.

Thin and wide. "Ibanezy." Large radius (16", I think). Me likey.
Very similar to my first super strat...the legendary Casio PG-380 , to this day , the only actual midi guitar..onboard cheesy synth tones and a real 5-pin MIDI out jack, but more pertinent to this discussion, it was made in the same Ibanez factory in Japan as the earliest Jems and Sabres from 87-89, and the neck is absolutely in the Wizard /Jem category. .and a really sweet SSH form. .
Still got it ,too..
Heres some nice shots of the same one I got back in the day.

https://reverb.com/item/197533-casi...nthesizer-perfect-with-ohsc-rom-card-flawless
It's a great profile for single-note runs, or anything that benefits from the "classical grip."

The first time I picked up a Wizard neck, my first reaction was, "Ooh, this is nice!" I hope you have the same good luck.

View attachment 40423
I got this Team J-Craft -built baby from Reverb several months ago, but it arrived setup horribly and was virtually unplayable..I left it for the season with my friends from Chicago Music Exchange (parent company of Reverb) to see what they could do..picked it up yesterday and after a proper setup it is easily one of the easiest playing and sonically solid of my collection..Im shocked how noiseless the pickups are and the whammy is Vai-worthy indeed (If only my chops were...). ..now my mission is finding some tasty Legacy 2x12 IRs ..ironically, @PerChr just posted earlier today that he is no longer sharing the ones he made..anyone else got any suggestions...?(I found my Celestion 2 x12 G12-65 C works pretty nicely with the Legacy amps)

I loved my Jem guitar. I had a Blue Floral Print original back in the 80's and played the HELL out of it...like it was beat up pretty bad but still rocked the whole time I had it. I sold it a few years ago, before they reissued them and even in the condition it was in, sold it for the same I paid for it. One of my buddies has one of the original green ones - not sure what the model was - but his is in mint condition...super cool.

You have a nice guitar there!

I think my Jem's neck is a little bit wider than the S540. Steve has some long fingers I heard (Don't quote me.) he can place his pointer on fret #1 and with his pinky reach #12. :eek: hahaha!

Very similar to my first super strat...the legendary Casio PG-380 , to this day , the only actual midi guitar..onboard cheesy synth tones and a real 5-pin MIDI out jack, but more pertinent to this discussion, it was made in the same Ibanez factory in Japan as the earliest Jems and Sabres from 87-89, and the neck is absolutely in the Wizard /Jem category. .and a really sweet SSH form. .
Still got it ,too..
Heres some nice shots of the same one I got back in the day.

https://reverb.com/item/197533-casi...nthesizer-perfect-with-ohsc-rom-card-flawless
Funny, I was looking at the bridge and thinking "wow, the saddles look just like the Edge saddles" and then I noticed the bridge is stamped GOTOH. :)

Back
Top Bottom