Shadows Presets for Quantum 7.02

StratnVox

Inspired
Following the release of this Firmware, I have reworked some 55 presets for Shadows and so-called "Surf" music.

The Shadows should never be regarded as "surf music" but guitar instrument music ranging from "Rock and Roll" to popular music. Many of their 600+ recordings are instrumental versions of popular vocals. There are, of course, pure instrumental tunes which became the catalyst for many famous guitarists to start playing guitar (Brian May, Mark Knofler, etc.) and emulate Hank Marvin.

Hank is about to release a new album called "Without a Word" in June 2017 (do a FB search to find his page). its getting close to 60 years since he started playing professionally.

The most powerful aspects of the latest Firmware include "Motor Drive", "Motor Time Constant" and the new Optical Compressor types. All of these features are utilised in these presets. Additionally, all except two presets use UltraRes Factory IR's. The two exceptions are noted in the README file and contain a ToneMatch IR.

The contents of the zip file include a README.pdf (please do read), 55 preset files and a spreadsheet in 2 formats listing 230 Shadows tunes in backing track order and the preset to use.

Please note that these presets require Axe-Fx II with Firmware Quantum 7.02 or later and have been exported from an Axe-Fx II. For other equipment, may I suggest the "Fractool" Click here

There are a number of early attempts to achieve Shadows presets in AxeChange. Please use these instead.

Shadows AxeFX III Presets (2017)

Please enjoy and as always feedback is welcome.

Last edited:
Stratnvox, as a Shadows fan who does NOT have an ear for dialing in tones, this is very appreciated. I'm going to need to do a little tweaking to get them setup for my active pickups (EMG David Gilmour set), but hopefully I can manage that.

My current strat isn't really setup for Marvin tunes (the tremolo sits flush and is very, very tight to prevent tuning issues when bending). I think I may need to get back in the market for a new strat. :)

Stratnvox, as a Shadows fan who does NOT have an ear for dialing in tones, this is very appreciated. I'm going to need to do a little tweaking to get them setup for my active pickups (EMG David Gilmour set), but hopefully I can manage that.

My current strat isn't really setup for Marvin tunes (the tremolo sits flush and is very, very tight to prevent tuning issues when bending). I think I may need to get back in the market for a new strat. :)
Thanks for your post and Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the Shadows tones come from single coil pups. Not sure how close your active ones will sound.

Over the last month, I have been working with Q8.02 and its features. As soon as I test my new presets with some knowledgeable Shadows Players, I'll release a new batch. The main different is the correct settings for the "faulty" tone stack in the Vox AC30TB and using the Bass and Treble controls to obtain the Shadows tone. In many ways, this "fault" produced a sound that is uniquely Hank Marvin. Hank demanded more Treble from Vox after they introduced the AC30/4 but the Top Boost tone stack had interaction between Treble and Bass when either was changed. Sounds like "Atlantis" can not be produced without using an Vox AC30TB with high Treble and low Bass settings. Incidentally, a high Treble setting with "zero" Mid does not produce an ear shattering tone. Cliff has documented how to achieve this by turning the Mid tone control to "0".

More on this subject later.

Trevor

Thanks for your post and Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the Shadows tones come from single coil pups. Not sure how close your active ones will sound.

Over the last month, I have been working with Q8.02 and its features. As soon as I test my new presets with some knowledgeable Shadows Players, I'll release a new batch. The main different is the correct settings for the "faulty" tone stack in the Vox AC30TB and using the Bass and Treble controls to obtain the Shadows tone. In many ways, this "fault" produced a sound that is uniquely Hank Marvin. Hank demanded more Treble from Vox after they introduced the AC30/4 but the Top Boost tone stack had interaction between Treble and Bass when either was changed. Sounds like "Atlantis" can not be produced without using an Vox AC30TB with high Treble and low Bass settings. Incidentally, a high Treble setting with "zero" Mid does not produce an ear shattering tone. Cliff has documented how to achieve this by turning the Mid tone control to "0".

More on this subject later.

Trevor
A question for Stratnvox
Use these pickups on your guitar
http://www.detempleguitars.com/temp/CATALOG_ITEMS/sweetspot_pickups.php
Which other commercial pickup can approach?

Sorry for my English horror :(

A question for Stratnvox
Use these pickups on your guitar
http://www.detempleguitars.com/temp/CATALOG_ITEMS/sweetspot_pickups.php
Which other commercial pickup can approach?

Sorry for my English horror :(
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, those are the ones. From his web page on Sweetspot_pickups "To give your guitar the maximum possible tonal improvement, and to compliment your SweetSpot™ Pickups, we strongly advise that you rewire your guitar as suggested in the instructions provided with the pickups". That is important.

All the best

Hi Trevor me too I'm waiting for the III.
I will also wait impatiently for your update of the presets.
Thanks again
Mic

Back
Top Bottom