Stereo Chorus & Spatial Expansion

SonVolt

Inspired
Does anyone have a Chorus/Expander preset that widens the stereo image very similar to this Chorus used by Petrucci on the JP-2C demo? It sounds huge! I can get very close with a stereo BOSS Chorus Ensemble pedal, but not having much luck with the FX8. I can get kinda close with the detune effect but the stereo width isn't as 3D or dramatic as the BOSS CE-5. I'm running 7CM with 2 Mesa Mark's in stereo.

Try the Dimension 2 chorus with the dimension mode set to high. Play around with the mix and depth.

Thanks guys. I will try Danny's suggestions and see where it takes me. With that said, I wonder if there's anything "magic" about the BOSS CE-5 pedal, or if it's just doing something similar by delaying the left and right signals. It's so dramatic and 3D sounding it makes me wonder if there's some type of dedicated chip in there responsible for it that an effect block won't be able to replicate as well. But then again I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Unix-guy nailed it. Thanks! When using the HAAS delay trick, the delay being a higher number on the right in my examples, will make it loose. Meaning, it will sound like two guitar players who are not quite playing in time....which means "loose".

When the right side delay is smaller in value, it sounds like the two guitar players are on the beat and in time....which means "tighter".

As for the boss, all that chorus stuff has delay built in somewhere. They use filtering, eq, delay, two different wave forms etc...lots of stuff can go on in a chorus sound. Some do seem to have that magical something though. Dimension D is a good one. We actually have something like that in our chorus stuff in the Fractal. I think our chorus effects are some of the best ever in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope some.of this helps.

You can get very, very close to this effect by simply using the default Dimension 2 chorus and bumping the depth up a bit.

Hello! Are you the one that created the chorus patch used in the JP-2C demo? Any details you'd like to give on the effects and stereo amp setup used?

Back
Top Bottom