Most Underrated/Underutilized Amp Models

+1 on the Cameron. Dirty Shirley (possibly not in the overlooked category) and Euro Blue (normal, not modern) are ones I gravitate to.

The JTM45 is gorgeous for clean and mild breakup. I agree about the JCM2000 cleans, my DSL records very nicely set clean.
A couple months ago I sold my DSL2000 full stack, but I was surprised at how good (or how much I liked I should say) the clean channel was on it, so +1 to your comment!

I think the most overlooked/underytilized amp is the Cali Legacy (model of Steve Vai's Carvin Legacy). I have used many Carvin amps and I have had to increase the power amp bias on all of tnem to get tnem to their sweet spot... The same is true of the model.

I think the most overlooked/underytilized amp is the Cali Legacy (model of Steve Vai's Carvin Legacy). I have used many Carvin amps and I have had to increase the power amp bias on all of tnem to get tnem to their sweet spot... The same is true of the model.
Aren't you worried about decreasing the lifespan of the digital tubes by biasing them hot? :)

The Legacy is a great and underrated amp, digital version or otherwise.

The model of Steve's amp is the Legato model... The Cali Leggy is an older Legacy model that many people have said doesn't sound much like a Legacy.

I have no experience with the Legacy... Just reporting what I've heard here.

I'm guilty of overlooking the FAS amps almost every time. I really need to just force myself to check them out in depth. The FAS Modern 2 is really great.

JTM45 is one of two amps I always gravitate towards for cleans.

I'm guilty of overlooking the FAS amps almost every time. I really need to just force myself to check them out in depth. The FAS Modern 2 is really great.

+1. The longer I have the unit the more I appreciate the FAS models, specifically Rhythm, Hot Rod, and Wreck.

The model of Steve's amp is the Legato model... The Cali Leggy is an older Legacy model that many people have said doesn't sound much like a Legacy.

I have no experience with the Legacy... Just reporting what I've heard here.

Thanks for the correction... I was relying on my, admittedly, feeble memory.

That's an excellent point. I keep wanting to use this model more but hadn't thought of this. Thanks!

Marshall for cleans seems to be underrated. I love the JM45 set clean, and both my old TSL100 and 2205 had great clean channels. They're even underrated by FAS, since Marshall clean channels rarely gets modelled
I tend to gravitate to Fenders for cleans, so yeah. Maybe it's a bit of lack of time to experiment a little more and the peace of mind of the known results.

Back
Top Bottom