OwnHammer V4 Impulse Response Libraries

Ok so hopefully I didn't squash the shit out of this with my limiter on the master.
Just a VERY basic riff to show the differences between the V70 and V60. There are 3 different clips within the clip, all 3 are the OH1 Mix from the quick start folder. First clip is V70B, Second it V60, third is V70B Left and V60 Right so you can pan back and forth to hear the differences a little better. I used the Recto red model with no drive pedal, and no usual high or low passing in the cab block, just straight as it sounds when you load the ir.
Hope this helps!
P.S. This was uploaded as the raw aiff file, so it may take a minute to load.
https://app.box.com/s/fk56jws7ooi7j2om2z9h4hlofh7p97d0

Not sure how to get it to embed so you'll have to follow the link.

Ok so hopefully I didn't squash the shit out of this with my limiter on the master.
Just a VERY basic riff to show the differences between the V70 and V60. There are 3 different clips within the clip, all 3 are the OH1 Mix from the quick start folder. First clip is V70B, Second it V60, third is V70B Left and V60 Right so you can pan back and forth to hear the differences a little better. I used the Recto red model with no drive pedal, and no usual high or low passing in the cab block, just straight as it sounds when you load the ir.
Hope this helps!
P.S. This was uploaded as the raw aiff file, so it may take a minute to load.
https://app.box.com/s/fk56jws7ooi7j2om2z9h4hlofh7p97d0

Not sure how to get it to embed so you'll have to follow the link.
Lol, they either sound exactly the same to me or the first v70 sounded a touch brighter! oddly in the mix the left does sound a bit smoother when I pan. They are basically so darn close I cant tell!

Lol, they either sound exactly the same to me or the first v70 sounded a touch brighter! oddly in the mix the left does sound a bit smoother when I pan. They are basically so darn close I cant tell!
Yes, they are very close, but the smooth top end is what the V70 is all about to me.

…these things are absolute beasts and improvements over what is on its way out, to my ears and in my subjective opinion anyway.

I can second this opinion. I've bought many variants of the Recto cabs since Ownhammer started releasing them, but I took a chance with the 412 RECTO pack, and I think it stands head-and-shoulders above the others. The latest ones sound smoother to me than previous releases, and manage to somehow sound great solo'd while still cutting through in a mix.

Last night I was using it with the IIC++ model to play along with DT's Scenes From a Memory album with my JP15, and it blended perfectly (all of them worked well, but IIRC I liked the V70 BOLD Quick-Pick best).

I can second this opinion. I've bought many variants of the Recto cabs since Ownhammer started releasing them, but I took a chance with the 412 RECTO pack, and I think it stands head-and-shoulders above the others. The latest ones sound smoother to me than previous releases, and manage to somehow sound great solo'd while still cutting through in a mix.

Last night I was using it with the IIC++ model to play along with DT's Scenes From a Memory album with my JP15, and it blended perfectly (all of them worked well, but IIRC I liked the V70 BOLD Quick-Pick best).
Yeah I am really liking the new chunk mix a lot! Has all the goodness of the bold mix with the added chunk!

I have the old older version of OH cab-pack, which poweramp is the closest to the new version?

From "412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Modern Speaker Collection"

SS
Solid State - based on a Bryston 3BST.
T1
Tube 1 – based on a Randall RT2/50 with 6V6 power tubes.
T2
Tube 2 – based on a Randall RT2/50 with 5881 power tubes

Anyone try out the 412 RECTO SHZ, yet? I'm itching to hear a sample of it. I've never heard of this speaker before and I'm all about trying new stuff out. :)

Anyone try out the 412 RECTO SHZ, yet? I'm itching to hear a sample of it. I've never heard of this speaker before and I'm all about trying new stuff out. :)

OK, I'm not a metall player but is a sample for you with the 412 RECTO SHZ (SHZ is based on Scholz Classic Speakers) - I used the OH RECTO SHZ OH1-06 ir with the Mesa MCII++ . Can't share the preset is a commercial one from Fremen. Sounds great to my ears - very smooth and stands out in the mix.

OK, I'm not a metall player but is a sample for you with the 412 RECTO SHZ (SHZ is based on Scholz Classic Speakers) - I used the OH RECTO SHZ OH1-06 ir with the Mesa MCII++ . Can't share the preset is a commercial one from Fremen. Sounds great to my ears - very smooth and stands out in the mix.

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to make a clip. I see what you mean about it being smooth, but standing out in a mix. Great playing, as well! :)

Every Ownhammer cabinet has Mid, Rear and Room mic impulses, these are auxiliary to the other impulses. Do any of you use them? Could you recommend me any use with them? Maybe adding some delay and blending with the others? I had tried it but I get better results using reverb with my “normal” ownhammer impulses. Cheers!

Every Ownhammer cabinet has Mid, Rear and Room mic impulses, these are auxiliary to the other impulses. Do any of you use them? Could you recommend me any use with them? Maybe adding some delay and blending with the others? I had tried it but I get better results using reverb with my “normal” ownhammer impulses. Cheers!
I don't use them often, but I will sometimes blend in a rear cab mic with a single mic, or mix ir to get some more punch out of the cab. It's a mixing trick I have read numerous producers over the years have done to get certain tones. Like I said not something I do alot, but it does give a cool sound.

Thanks, after testing a little I find that blending them with the other impulses can make good tones but as you had said is only for certain tones.

I don't use them often, but I will sometimes blend in a rear cab mic with a single mic, or mix ir to get some more punch out of the cab. It's a mixing trick I have read numerous producers over the years have done to get certain tones. Like I said not something I do alot, but it does give a cool sound.

Usually I dont use anything but normal close IRs, but now I ended up with one rock tone: brighter Marshall into two room ir's (left and right), another amp into normal ir's. Blend to taste. The room cab gave a lot of punch to the tone, perhaps this would need a demonstration.

@ownhammer So i have a question regarding the mixes. I know these contain actually real world phasing captured in the IR. If I convert them with min phase does it smooth any of that out of the IR? Up until now I always converted without min phase on, but the other day I went to blend in another IR and I had phase issues between IR's. I really don't want to use min phase on the mixes, because I feel they have a magic captured in them that is just so pleasing to me ears, and I am afraid I will lose that by converting with min phase.

You'll get what is the equivalent of some over 10k rise when min-phasing, but it can vary depending on the files, as they organically vary from file to file, and how they interact will change. Some files when mixed with others will exhibit less of this behavior, some will exhibit more, and the combinations between two different kinds will not necessarily result in the same outcome in terms of top end change. Same goes for everything in between. Depending on the various peaks and valleys, which if you've looked at a detailed plot of an IR can go from a rather smooth line to hundreds of jagged ups and downs, you're either going to accent peaks with peaks and valleys with valleys, or you're going to normalize them through offset. The bottom line is though, the one thing you can typically count on is that min-phasing and mixing will result in brighter - sometimes clearer, sometimes just brighter - tones. Therefor, there isn't really a gold standard response to this, and it's sort of a jungle that will need explored individually on a case per case basis.

The latest ones sound smoother to me than previous releases, and manage to somehow sound great solo'd while still cutting through in a mix.

Pretty much my thoughts and feelings as well!

I have the old older version of OH cab-pack, which poweramp is the closest to the new version?

From "412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Modern Speaker Collection"

SS
Solid State - based on a Bryston 3BST.
T1
Tube 1 – based on a Randall RT2/50 with 6V6 power tubes.
T2
Tube 2 – based on a Randall RT2/50 with 5881 power tubes

Closest to SS, but also different from it. Something that shows up to the ears more than the eyes, as the deviation plots between the two are almost negligibly different.

@ownhammer still waiting on the Mar CB with some nice G12 T75's.... Just sayin.... ;)

Haha, yeah, I'll get there, promise! Have a lot of high priority items at the top of the queue for right now, but at one point I'm gonna get back on that CB and probably not come off of it until I've pumped it full of several dozen speakers. :)

Looking for a recommendation.

I've got several OH packs and am looking for something maybe a bit smoother for mid to high gain stuff. I'm finding that I'm really having to dial out some of the high end around the 3-5k (below the usual cab cutoff) to smooth out the tones.

Here's what I've got now:

Core Tone set
California Duo set
4x12 Marshall EV-L
1x12 Deluxe
4x10 Super Reverb
4x12 Marshall Modern Collection (old speaker collection)

I've found myself really gravitating towards the EV Custom speaker in the 4x12 Marshall and the factory 148 (4x12 Marshall PR-M20B). For the mixes, in general I like the OH1F and for mics the R121.

Was kind of thinking of either the UK-Marshall collection or the 2x12 Marshall collection. The older 4x12 collection I have is interesting with all the speakers but tends to be kind of thin or bright sounding. On the flip side, I like the 4x12 Marshall CB so maybe a couple speakers from that cab would be interesting. Or go something out of left field like the 4x12 Orange?

Looking for a recommendation.

I've got several OH packs and am looking for something maybe a bit smoother for mid to high gain stuff. I'm finding that I'm really having to dial out some of the high end around the 3-5k (below the usual cab cutoff) to smooth out the tones.
This might be a dumb question, but have you moved past the mix files? Whenever I find a mix I like, but want more/less brightness, I'll go to the mic folders. You can then find the mic from that mix and then cycle through the different positions. That's how I do it. If you haven't already, give the single mic folders a shot, first.

This might be a dumb question, but have you moved past the mix files? Whenever I find a mix I like, but want more/less brightness, I'll go to the mic folders. You can then find the mic from that mix and then cycle through the different positions. That's how I do it. If you haven't already, give the single mic folders a shot, first.

I've tried but gotten overwhelmed by options.

I just this morning was able to figure out the "audition" function, so I'm reconverting everything and reorganizing my files on the computer, then will set forth auditioning my existing IR's. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom