Three new Allan Holdsworth patches for Q7.02

yes, the lead preset does sound very different in context. it might sound very wet in isolation, but once it's in a mix, that kind of disappears.

I always wait until I mix to even try to adjust the delay/reverb. It's hard to enjoy playing unaccompanied with the amount of delay needed for a mix.

allan used to record the dry guitar on two tracks and the delays on another two tracks (i know this, because he told me). he could then monitor them at whatever level he liked and also mix them in at the correct level later on. i guess if you have 4 ins on your audio interface, you could send out the delays on output 2 using the fxl block and do something similar.

I used to do test mixes to adjust the fx levels, or used plugins. These days, I reamp. Judging from the video of him on Youtube making Earth, I think reamping would have made him even more frustrated with digital in-the-box recording. He wanted to plug in to an amp, record to 2-inch tape, and be on his way. I know I waste tremendous time on tech rather than music. I wish I could have a stab at the old school workflow. Can't afford it.

For anyone who cares to try it, here is the Palmer IR. It goes in slot 2 of Cab 1. It adds a substantial amount of meat to the preset.

Man that Palmer IR blew me away. I paired it with an Ownhammer V30 IR and....it was like I found the 'missing link' for the higher gain tones I've been in search of. Thank you....Thank you.....

I want more, where did you get that IR? Is there a Palmer IR pack out there somewhere for sale?

Man that Palmer IR blew me away. I paired it with an Ownhammer V30 IR and....it was like I found the 'missing link' for the higher gain tones I've been in search of. Thank you....Thank you.....

I want more, where did you get that IR? Is there a Palmer IR pack out there somewhere for sale?

The Palmer was posted by someone else on the forum. IIRC, there are two other Palmer IRs, but the "norm" is the only one I find usable. It is not an IR of a cab, but of an electronic cab simulator. It has an 'in your face' quality that, while lacking character on its own, lends a solid quality to other IRs. Missing link is a good way to describe it.

To steer back to topic, the swell presets have eaten up more than a day's playing. Nice.

Thanks Simeon & Steadystate for taking the time to post the presets & IR. I had fun playing with them, especially the Swell patch which worked well with an old tune that I had written.

I found the Palmer PDI-09 IR old threat from feb 2014 by Karma:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/palmer-pdi-09-ir-in-ultrares-format.81545/

You might like this too, 10 IRs pack of the Palmer PGA-04 rack unit by PerChr:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/palmer-pdi-09-ir-files.104533/#post-1250628

Thanks to Karma and PerChr users for the uploads!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom