That didn't suck- Artists with crazy good tone through Fractal products

SRVYJM

So, I posted on my poor results at a local blues jam and received great responses (and quick too!) from a lot of members here- now my next question- and it doesn't really have to be any single unit- but can include the AX8, FX8 or Axe FX II- but who are some artists using Fractal products that are getting really, really good tone in your opinion. I'm looking for some new talent to follow! My list would include:

Rick Graham- Axe FX II- amazing player- really good consistent tone clean and dirty

Larry Mitchell- I think both- Axe FX II and AX8- of course- he's sort of a main Fractal artist and even highlighted here on the main home page- but we all know he's amazing with amazing tone! The video just posted on the main page here with him comparing real amps vs Fractal is astounding. You really, really, really can't hear the difference. GREAT marketing piece Fractal team- do more of these! Shuts down the haters in an instant!

Tyler Grund- Tyler is really interesting to me because he's "Game Dojo" and did the original work on my '66 Fender Super Reverb and had always been a "Real Tube Amp" guy- with really amazing insight into amp circuits- especially SRV's amps- and he took that insight - applied it to the AxeFX II just like it was a real amp- and obtained arguable (not in my opinion) the best clean tone and closest thing to SRV's and Hendrix's tone so far-

NeoGeofanatic - guy in France that was using the AxeFXII and just getting amazing sounds- he switched to a real amp for a while and his tone suffered!!!! I like his posts with the AxeFX II MUCH better the the real things- which is awesome. He's an absolutely terrific player- and if you have a Strat that goes out of tune- he can show you how to fix that so they NEVER go out! Really.... check him out.

Those are the ones I came up with off the top of my head. Actually Rick Graham is the one that really made me start looking at Fractal seriously. I was going to make another post on this, but I find it really cool that I own 3 Friedman amps (Small Box 50- PT20 and Runt 50) and they're all just amazing tone machines- but I find I like the Friedman BE setting in the AX8 better then all of them! I may take that to another post though- what amp do you like better through your Fractal then in real life! I bet there are a lot.

Last edited:
# 1 king of Fractal tonage and one of the first FAS artists of note....Dweezil Zappa!

Last edited:
Andy Wood!

I have gotten to hang with Andy a few times and talk gear and every time he had killer tone. He's currently on the road with LoCash using an AX8. Great guy, great player, great tone.

Rick Park! Oh wait... that's me.

I started out on the Avid/Digidesign ElevenRack, and came to the Fractal Gear after seeing players such as Ketil Strand using it. Here is Ketil doing his (R)evolution Of Rock Guitar on YouTube, the first of his videos that caught my eye.

After that, another YouTube guy turned Fractal artist @Mark Day always had great stuff to listen to, then Pete Thorn, then... you get the idea. In my case, it was really more talented regular players than the mainstream stars that got me here. Now there are lots of "names" who have found the joys of Fractalizing their setup, and that's great for everyone. It just seems to me that the Axe Fx was more a groundswell of players in the trenches of music than a star-driven phenomenon. Lots of incredible, though maybe not household name, artists created the wave that turned tsunami later on. All in all, it was probably one of the few items I bought having never seen any of my favorite guitarists playing one first. In the process, I gained a bunch of other guitarists to listen to... this forum has been a great asset to FAS users.

David Wallimann has been another one for me... learned a lot from him.

Last edited:
Yeah, I should add- certainly doesn't have to be a household name- Anyone. I forgot about Mark Day and Pete Thorn- Pete's definitely a Fractal guy- but he reviews SO much gear that I don't think of him like that. Mark Day is a good one.

Good tone is good tone- don't care if it's famous or not!

Trevor Rabin sounded amazing when I saw him last year.
Robert Fripp is using an Axe II on the new King Crimson DVD, and he sounds like he always has...brilliant and confusing at the same time.
Adrian Belew is making great sounds with his.

Andy Wood!

I have gotten to hang with Andy a few times and talk gear and every time he had killer tone. He's currently on the road with LoCash using an AX8. Great guy, great player, great tone.

Plus 1 on Andy Wood- never heard of him- just checked him out doing a preset with Cliff at LA Amp Show- Wow- great taste and tone! New follower! Yay! This is why I asked this- to check out new awesome players with great tone!

Obviously, let's not forget the other big names:

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Sonny Landreth
Guthrie Govan
The Edge

Didn't know that for Sonny Landreth- wow! Guess I didn't know Guthrie was using Axe Fx either for that matter- I always see him playing through Suhr and Cornford amps.

IMG_2052.JPG
Didn't know that for Sonny Landreth- wow! Guess I didn't know Guthrie was using Axe Fx either for that matter- I always see him playing through Suhr and Cornford amps.
These days, Guthrie is using an FX8 along with Victory amps, I think.

I happened to be at The G4 Experience a couple years back when his first FX8 was delivered to the hotel lobby (see pic).

Sonny is a recently announced artist. Can't wait to hear what he does with it.

I'm secretly hoping that we'll get a model of his Demeter amp one day.

Tyler Grund always got my attention....Being a blues oriented type of guy that I am, Cooper Carter also and Ketil Strand. Those 3 guys ....Just know how to tweak fractal gear. All excellent players, Always willing to share also. Donations sometimes but mostly your choice. Ketil is just a killer player, I mean anything, any genre. Tyler and Cooper can whip out presets in minutes and then play the hell out of them...Just my 2 ents

We made most of NeoGeoFanatics AXE FX tones (and mixed his videos) from around Mach 2015 to late last year. He was using a tonne from our #PresetADay April and June patches. he switched to real amps when he took is work over to MindMirror studios.

We made most of NeoGeoFanatics AXE FX tones (and mixed his videos) from around Mach 2015 to late last year. He was using a tonne from our #PresetADay April and June patches. he switched to real amps when he took is work over to MindMirror studios.
Love all you tone packs, there like plays potato chips can just have one. Lol well I am about to eat the whole dam bag. Buying everyone one them. Only 2 or 3 to go. Keep up the great work very much appreciated.

Def Leppard, seen them every time they've played in Sheffield since '92.

Saw them last December for the first time with the AXEIII rigs. All guitars, incl Sav's bass were Fractal rigs, and no question they were the best tones I've ever heard from them
I'm not just saying that as a fractal guy myself, they were brilliant

Back
Top Bottom