I hate iLOK

Yes, overall it is much less problematic if you keep your licences on the iLok dongle. If your system drive fails, or you get registry corruption, or you need to upgrade your operating system, or you need to get a new computer - all of which has applied to me at one point or another - it can be one less aggravation if you still have your licences safe on the dongle.

So now, iLOK manager is telling me my new computer is actually two different machines, and won't let me deactivate either Cab Lab license on the "old" new machine ("Source location is not accessible). Nothing but problems, hassles and wasted time. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE iLOK. It is keeping me from using software I paid for. I'M PISSED.

i do not want to sound like a dick but your case sounds like a typical USER ERROR!

did you activate the license on your computer or the ilok dongle?
if it's activated on the PC it makes sense that the license can not be found on the new PC.

since the new ilok manager was released i never had any problem with ilok, it can get a bit messy
when you are switching computers or even having two different user accounts on one single PC.

in general, if the license is copied to the dongle instead of the PC you can plug it into any
PC and it will work as the license is stored on the dongle. that's like the main idea behind the ilok besides copy protection.

i do not want to sound like a dick but your case sounds like a typical USER ERROR!

did you activate the license on your computer or the ilok dongle?
if it's activated on the PC it makes sense that the license can not be found on the new PC.

since the new ilok manager was released i never had any problem with ilok, it can get a bit messy
when you are switching computers or even having two different user accounts on one single PC.

in general, if the license is copied to the dongle instead of the PC you can plug it into any
PC and it will work as the license is stored on the dongle. that's like the main idea behind the ilok besides copy protection.
You most definitely sound like a dick, especially bringing it up eight months later and using all caps. I used the product as instructed....to the letter. It did not function as designed. The manager is supposed to allow you to deactivate the license on one computer and activate it on another. It didn't work, and by no error on the user's part. Your post suggests you are unfamiliar with the activation/deactivation process on PCs without a dongle. But I won't make that assumption. Because then, I might sound like a dick.

I also gave up on Cab Lab and view it as a loss and a learning experience. The slightest change to my computer invalidates the license, and the manager has given me nothing but grief. It isn't worth the hassle of fighting the problems or the extra price of the dongle. Waste of money, bigger waste of time. iLOK; never again. Oh yeah, Cab Lab is fantastic. Wish there were alternatives to iLOK.

Last edited:
You most definitely sound like a dick, especially bringing it up eight months later and using all caps. I used the product as instructed....to the letter. It did not function as designed. The manager is supposed to allow you to deactivate the license on one computer and activate it on another. It didn't work, and by no error on the user's part. Your post suggests you are unfamiliar with the activation/deactivation process on PCs without a dongle. But I won't make that assumption. Because then, I might sound like a dick.

I also gave up on Cab Lab and view it as a loss and a learning experience. The slightest change to my computer invalidates the license, and the manager has given me nothing but grief. It isn't worth the hassle of fighting the problems or the extra price of the dongle. Waste of money, bigger waste of time. iLOK; never again. Oh yeah, Cab Lab is fantastic. Wish there were alternatives to iLOK.

Why are you being so salty?

So i am being a dick because of two reasons...

Reason#1: i replied to an 8 months old thread
Reason#2: i wrote "USER ERROR" in all big evil capital letters

It's hilariously funny how easily people get offended in 2017,

First of all, the real reason for your problems is your attitude!
You are unable to accept criticism and always blaming the others for you flaws.
This combined with distinctive obstinacy will always end in acrimony, which is BAD, for yourself and the poeple around you.

Having multiple Ilok dongles and licenses on the PC (installed and activated for others)
I could easily explain why you are wrong about the activation and why it is indeed
an user error but as you already wroteyou are not even interested in to get this to work.

It's a lamentable fact of modern life that software piracy puts the innocent through undeserved tribulations. Let's not take that out on each other. Let this particular conversation end please?

If anyone has any trouble with iLok, we're happy to try and help through official support channels.
The people at iLok are quite good at this too.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/getting-help.php

https://www.ilok.com/#!support

M@, Fractal has always been helpful, and I understand the need for copy protection (as I stated earlier). But when iLOK misbehaves, it usually does so at late hours, or weekends, or when I have work to get done quickly. I don't want to rely on it and have it fail, so I don't rely on it. I'd rather mix IRs in the Axe and focus on working or playing.

Soultrash, you will believe what you want to believe. So be it.

I agree.Copy Protection is great but iLok is the most user unfriendly system I have ever come across, other than dongles.

I had a totally good working system. I installed a data compression program to try and understand a disgruntled client's problem. That program was totally incompatible with my system and made it unusable to the point where I had to re-image my hard drive and spend the next 6 days and counting, restoring files from backups.

My big sticking point is that iLok now upon re-installation requires a Windows 7 roll-up update that requires hours to execute and comes with all these caveats in case of update failure. And after all the waiting, the prescribed update says that it is not applicable to my computer. That's a big bummer.

Other copy protected programs function just fine without this update. There just has to be a better system out there that gives protection to the software publisher but is also more user friendly than iLok in terms of updates and implementation.

Last edited:
In the interest of completeness, iLOK isn't the only software to tell me my computer has changed. My bank and email provider frequently tell me I am trying to log in from a new computer (which I am not). The difference is that I am immediately sent a means to verify my validity and am not locked out for more than one minute. If and when Pace can set up a similar method (that does not cost more money), I'll try again with Cab-Lab. Judging from the universal stories of woe, I'm still content to simply consider it a loss.

Last edited:
In the interest of completeness, iLOK isn't the only software to tell me my computer has changed. My bank and email provider frequently tell me I am trying to log in from a new computer (which I am not). The difference is that I am immediately sent a means to verify my validity and am not locked out for more than one minute. If and when Pace can set up a similar method (that does not cost more money), I'll try again with Cab-Lab. Judging from the universal stories of woe, I'm still content to simply consider it a loss.

did you try to start the ilok manager software as an administrator?

btw. i have a spare ilok1 lying around somehwere, i'd hand it over to you but i am not sure
if this will work as the ilok is already registered to my account.

Also, it sounds like are still not working with FAS support as Matt had suggested. It seems at least for the reinstall this could get you bootstrapped.

After months I figured out the solution of the Win 7/iLock side of the prob.
An huge (450mb) cumulative upgrade procedure for Win (with a BSoD hart attak!!!) solved the prob and now i have an updated iLock running with all my licenses running and active!
BUT CabLab3 is still kicking my nuts with a message error.
So i opened a ticket at FAS support!

EDITED:
FAS support provided me a new product ID. Now CabLab3 works!
But check my post about the solution.

Last edited:
GuttaLaser, running as administrator did not solve my problems. I too had to open a support ticket. But there's the rub. This takes time. That, combined with the frequency with which iLOK shuts me out and the odd hours in which I work makes using CabLab impractical. Many users have no issues.

iLock is the main reason why I don't buy CabLab! Have a very bad experience with this bullshit in past, and will NEVER buy a product that use it! Hope Fractal will do something else to manage their licences for CabLab! :)

I have bought Cablab (don't use it much but it is a nice software)
But I just hate ilok as a lot of people.

Everytime that there is a major update of Windows 10 (nothing to do with fractal), it is a pain to make ilok and cablab active again.
I have to deinstall ilok, reinstall, sometimes several time, just in order to recover Cablab.
It costs me everytime my nerves and time.

That said, happy with Cablab itself

Back
Top Bottom