Axe FX Standard and Apogee Duet

zarc

Hello everyone :)

I own an Axe FX Standard that I use with a Macbook Pro and an Apogee Duet.

I noticed that when I plug the Axe FX to the XRL ins of the Duet together with Logic Pro X on the MBP, the sound quality is lower than when I plug the Axe FX straight into my monitoring speakers.
It seems to have more distortion and less clarity, even when I play with the input/output levels on the Axe and the Duet.

Is this normal or did I miss something?

I also notice that the left and right signal levels entering the Duet are not the same, while everything seems ok on the Axe FX. By the way, the difference is always the same whatever preset I select on the Axe.

Finally I read somewhere that I should configure the Duet to run at 48 kHz, but whenever I do that with Logic Pro X running, it goes back after 1s to 44,1 kHz.

Thanks for your help! :)

If you're plugging into the XLRs don't worry about the sample rate. You're going analog into the Duet. Check the settings in Maestro. It sounds like your channels have different settings. Also make sure the soft limiters are off in the duet. You shouldn't need them if the the channel attenuation is set properly.

Make sure the duet is set to +4 line level. Set duet levels to 0 then adjust axe level out so you are not clipping. You may have to adjust your patch volume and axe volume out to get a good recording signal.

Thank you guys for your help.
From what I read after posting, the difference of levels between the two channels is due to the Axe FX and is normal.
And indeed, it does come from the Axe. I could check that while inverting the connections.

@bondsong : where can I check the soft limiters status in Apogee Maestro? I can not find anything.

@MSS : If I set the duet to +4 the signal level is very low in my speakers even when I turn the Axe FX output at max. Is this normal?

On the input page above each fader there's a button which says soft limit beside it. Here's a pic of the Quartet. It's the same for the Duet.maestro-mac-quartet-input-800.jpg

Thank you guys for your help.
From what I read after posting, the difference of levels between the two channels is due to the Axe FX and is normal.
And indeed, it does come from the Axe. I could check that while inverting the connections.

@bondsong : where can I check the soft limiters status in Apogee Maestro? I can not find anything.

@MSS : If I set the duet to +4 the signal level is very low in my speakers even when I turn the Axe FX output at max. Is this normal?

Are you getting a good signal in though? Check meters. Also, I haven't had a standard in awhile. i seem to recall using the 1/4 inch analog outs for recording.

1. Match your signals up line level or not etc.
2. Adjust patch output to max volume not clipping
3. Adjust axe output to where apogee duet maestro app meter is tickling red
4. Adjust logic track output to volume required to listen/ mix etc.

I use apogee with Logic, for this problem disintall apogee software and pacage, used only Logic with apogee.

Thank you guys.
@MSS : yes I can get a good signal in terms of level, but I find it less nice and clear than when I plug directly to my monitoring speakers.

In fact my main objective is be able to play on the speakers at the same time :
- the sound coming from my back (e.g. backing track)
- the sound coming from the Axe FX, not necessarily going through the Duet (I don't record at that time).

Is there anything I can do to plug both the MBP and the Axe at the same time on the speakers?

I am really sorry but I do not have anything on this at page 24 of the manual I have.
Maybe an old version?

I could grab a yamaha mg102c for a good price.
Would that be a good idea for what I want to do?

No problem bondsong, you try to help and that is great!

I thought with a mixer the sound may be more clear?

If you use an 1/8" plug from the headphone out on your MBP to the 1/8" in on the back of your AxeFX can you hear the backing tracks through the AxeFX? If that works I think that would be the easiest way to play along with tracks. Then you can connect directly to your speakers.

Thank you rascarvalho
I just tried but it does not seem to change much to the sound, which confirms what bondsong wrote previously

Back
Top Bottom