MIDI Guitar 2 - Out of Beta and Bitchen

I run a macbook pro.
It had el crapitan and logic 9.
the midi guitar component refuses to be recognized by logic.
...so i update to sierra and cough up 200 clams for logic pro...now it is recognized.

The tracking does not appear to be improved over the betas.
It seems the game is to get the right amount of signal in and to properly adjust the threshold.
It works okay...but I just wish that industrialradio company were parked in the states.
Though I think it more workable for recording than the others out there. They all glitch and you always need to rework the midi. This solution removes all the setup nonsense from the equation.

If the company spent more time on user configurable smart filtering and less on the mediocre soundbox gland they confuse the product with...it would be even more useful.

It had el crapitan and logic 9.
the midi guitar component refuses to be recognized by logic.
I have Yosemite and Cubase 8.5 and had no problem with the plugin being recognized. I'm "guessing" that would have been a Logic 9 problem. Only a guess though.
I wrote to them asking about wether they've considered a forum but got no answer. I'm sure they're busy.

Hey guys... I finally got to download and demo this software. Tried it on my iOS device with an iRig adapter. It worked, but even with levels and gains fully up it was pretty quiet.

It did give a good indication of the tracking, which seems pretty solid.

I grabbed the PC version hoping to get it working via my Axe Fx.

I got part way there:

Guitar plugged in to Axe Fx, Output 2 set to "echo output 1" with Output 2 connected to my Matrix amp and 2 Xitone wedges. No FX Loop block in the preset.

Midi guitar 2 detects my asio4all driver (which is using the Axe Fx driver) and I could see that it was getting input and detecting pitch as I played, but no output from the synth, only my normal Axe Fx signal.

If I put headphones on, I can hear the audio but the volume is low and sound quality is poor. Also, the audio is not stereo as it is on my iOS device (the AutoPan piano is a good test there).

Any thoughts on how I can use this software in conjunction with my Axe Fx without additional ins/outs to my computer besides the midi cable to the Axe Fx?

I also have Protools on the same computer but didn't yet want to dive into DAW setup.

Hey guys... I finally got to download and demo this software. Tried it on my iOS device with an iRig adapter. It worked, but even with levels and gains fully up it was pretty quiet.

It did give a good indication of the tracking, which seems pretty solid.

I grabbed the PC version hoping to get it working via my Axe Fx.

I got part way there:

Guitar plugged in to Axe Fx, Output 2 set to "echo output 1" with Output 2 connected to my Matrix amp and 2 Xitone wedges. No FX Loop block in the preset.

Midi guitar 2 detects my asio4all driver (which is using the Axe Fx driver) and I could see that it was getting input and detecting pitch as I played, but no output from the synth, only my normal Axe Fx signal.

If I put headphones on, I can hear the audio but the volume is low and sound quality is poor. Also, the audio is not stereo as it is on my iOS device (the AutoPan piano is a good test there).

Any thoughts on how I can use this software in conjunction with my Axe Fx without additional ins/outs to my computer besides the midi cable to the Axe Fx?

I also have Protools on the same computer but didn't yet want to dive into DAW setup.
Where is your USB Return Level set?

I'm not clear on how your MIDI rig is connected to the Axe, and what you're plugging into when you use headphones.

I'm not clear on how your MIDI rig is connected to the Axe, and what you're plugging into when you use headphones.
Guitar -> Axe Fx front input
Axe Fx output 2 -> matrix power amp
Matrix -> Xitone wedges

I have Midi Guitar 2 running on.Win 10, with a single usb cable from the computer to the Axe Fx. It is getting input from the Axe Fx via asio4all driver

Guitar -> Axe Fx front input
Axe Fx output 2 -> matrix power amp
Matrix -> Xitone wedges

I have Midi Guitar 2 running on.Win 10, with a single usb cable from the computer to the Axe Fx. It is getting input from the Axe Fx via asio4all driver
And where do the headphones go when your using them?

@unix-guy can you tell me the settings that will make midi guitar 2 trigger ez keys? In ez keys the MIDI devices scans and finds midi guitar 2 and I can select it but it's not getting the info somehow. i can see notes I'm playing on the guitar in the midi guitar 2 window registering but nothing's happening on the ez keys side (Mac, playing into axe-fx and into the computer via USB)

@unix-guy can you tell me the settings that will make midi guitar 2 trigger ez keys? In ez keys the MIDI devices scans and finds midi guitar 2 and I can select it but it's not getting the info somehow. i can see notes I'm playing on the guitar in the midi guitar 2 window registering but nothing's happening on the ez keys side (Mac, playing into axe-fx and into the computer via USB)
I don't have EZ Keys... I only used the synth included with midi guitar 2...

Did you select your ez keys under instrument in the 3rd column from the left? I think it defaults to MDA Piano. When you click on instrument a window opens with all your VSTs. Click on the one you want to use. I don't use EZ Keys but I use lots of other VSTs this way.

I just tried the demo. The polyphonic pitch detection is extremely impressive, as is the tracking. I'm getting almost no glitches or ghost notes.

The only problem is the latency. The smallest buffer I can use is 128 samples at 48 kHz, way too large for percussive tones. Also, although my audio interface is capable of 96k, Midi Guitar always resets it to 48k as soon as I open the program. Has anyone successfully used MG2 at 96kHz?

Edit: Just got a reply from Jam Origin. The demo standalone only runs at 48k, but the purchased version with plugins will run at 96k.

Last edited:
Did you select your ez keys under instrument in the 3rd column from the left? I think it defaults to MDA Piano. When you click on instrument a window opens with all your VSTs. Click on the one you want to use. I don't use EZ Keys but I use lots of other VSTs this way.

...it's easy to miss, but you first have to have Midi Guitar manually scan for all your plugins, unless you only use it inside a DAW.

You guys are legends! That's exactly what it was. I knew that you had to scan for plugins to run inside the MIDI Guitar 2 application. I didn't know this was required to get MIDI Guitar to "talk" to plugins like EZKeys (and their stand-alone players in this case). The same is probably true of the NI stuff as well (Kontakt, Reactor, etc.). Up and running!

Thanks!

Been using this amazing plugin for a while. When they released a MIDI BASS version, I use it to track bass guitar, and replace that with sounds from Modo Bass plugin. Achieves better bass sounds than I could ever get. And since its MIDI I can speed things up to tempo which I'm not capable of playing myself :) ...and quantize so it's super tight with the MIDI triggered drums :-D

I think I'm going to buy it, despite the latency. I can't help but wonder how a polyphonic pitch to midi algorithm like this would perform on DSP hardware like that in the Axe. Could the latency be reduced even further?

Back
Top Bottom