World's simplest/reliable MFC for Axe-Fx other than FAS MFC

Billbill

Power User
The title says it all. I need something that I can use with my new Axe 2 XL+ to simply switch presets and scenes, NOTHING ELSE!
What's a good MFC to use just for switching presets and scenes. Nothing complicated just a preset and scene switcher. I don't have much funds or time available to spend hours programming more MIDI stuff haha. Anyone got anything?

For the money, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Behringer FCB1010 for basic MIDI stuff, but it can be a pain to program. You can add an Uno or EurekaProm aftermarket ROM chip to make it easier to use though too. Controller is about $150 new and the ROM chips are about $35.

Literally anything that sends PC and CC messages which is pretty much every controller in existence.
Having said that you get what you pay for. I paid for a Morningstar MC-6 and it's awesome.
That isn't really accurate. You need to be able to send CC messages with specific data values for scenes... Many "simple" midi controllers only send off/on (0/127) CC messages.

For the money, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Behringer FCB1010 for basic MIDI stuff, but it can be a pain to program. You can add an Uno or EurekaProm aftermarket ROM chip to make it easier to use though too. Controller is about $150 new and the ROM chips are about $35.
Agreed!

But, at least with the Uno chip, the LEDs can be a bit confusing when using scenes and presets. Hard to know what you have selected.

The Morningstar and BJ Devices stuff already mentioned are fairly inexpensive and can do what is needed plus a lot more, if desired.

I use Decibel Eleven Switch Dr. It is a bit of a pain to program too but it is small, very tough (all metal) and has other features that can be nice to have as well. One note though, if you are using an expression pedal you will want to plug it directly into AXE-FX rather than the Decibel Eleven expression port for full range of sweep. They go for about $250 new but you get a buffer and 4 loops as well.

I would second the Behringer FCB1010 with the Eureka 3.2 Prom. That is what I am using until I get an MFC-101. It does exactly what you said with the Eureka chip plus it has a few different options. I have seen them for around $100 brand new.

My heavily modified FCB1010 with Eurekaprom 3.2 covers a lot of ground for the ~$165 CDN I have sunk into it. If I had the decision to make over though, I would probably buy the BJ Devices TB-12. The optional GM Arts software for it looks to be really flexible.

Just get an early version of the MFC, they are about $400 or less (depending on cosmetics). It cost the same or less than most other solutions, and it requires no real programming, works great out of the box, with all the more scenes, presents etc you could want, and better yet, it reflects the current state of each switch and has a nice big LCD screen too.

Other units aren't really much cheaper, require more programming, and don't have the 2 way communication.

MFC does the best job at being an MFC

I'm using an FCB1010 (stock FW) to switch presets and scenes, nothing else. The two expression pedals are a nice bonus. I also converted to phantom power, so no extra power cable to fuss with. You can set individual preset numbers to send MIDI commands to multiple devices simultaneously. The limitation is that in stock form, you can only program up to 100 preset numbers (10 banks x 10 presets). I am ignorant of the capabilities of the aftermarket FWs because I'm running stock.

I don't use the aftermarket GUI for programming (I think that requires aftermarket FW). If you just follow the manual (and/or keep a printout of the relevant pages nearby), it's easy. When you get the hang of it, programming on the fly is pretty fast. It does help if you're OCD, though (which I am, with a touch of ADD, how's that for a combination).

Literally anything that sends PC and CC messages which is pretty much every controller in existence.
Having said that you get what you pay for. I paid for a Morningstar MC-6 and it's awesome.
Does that MC6 jive well with the AxeFx? Is it a pretty solid option for switching presets and scenes?

Does that MC6 jive well with the AxeFx? Is it a pretty solid option for switching presets and scenes?
Are you planning to use it for live performance? I don't have one, but by all accounts it is very capable... However, it is small, so the switches are closer together. I think they also offer a "custom" option in a larger enclosure.

Just get an early version of the MFC, they are about $400 or less (depending on cosmetics). It cost the same or less than most other solutions, and it requires no real programming, works great out of the box, with all the more scenes, presents etc you could want, and better yet, it reflects the current state of each switch and has a nice big LCD screen too.

Other units aren't really much cheaper, require more programming, and don't have the 2 way communication.

MFC does the best job at being an MFC

Honestly, this makes a lot of sense.
I have had the FCB1010 with EurekaProm which was good, but the MFC is just easy.

Are you planning to use it for live performance? I don't have one, but by all accounts it is very capable... However, it is small, so the switches are closer together. I think they also offer a "custom" option in a larger enclosure.
Small is what I need in an MFC. So does that MC6 have the capabilities to be able to switch presets, scenes, and jump to a different preset bank if needed.???!

The Midi Moose by Tech 21 is THE simplest midi controller I know of, and it's cheap. All it does is change presets and there is zero programming. I highly recommend it! Did I mention it's built like a tank?

Other than that, the FCB1010 is pretty good but the programming is horrible. I mean god awful horrible. Out of the box it is good at just changing presets, though. I have a Eurekaprom chip in it now and that helped. Now it's pretty flexible, but still takes some programming.

Probably a little more than you're looking for - but I have heard a lot of good things about the Roland FC-300 - and you get 2 expression pedals !

Back
Top Bottom