Loud noise during re-amping.

hmmm,then i dont know man
Sorry that you are having this kind of problem.
I trid it out,and got the DI to work,with lovering the DI level

Maby try to install the FW once more.. it migth be a bad install (i dont know)

Good Luck man :)
Yea, I tried that, reinstalled the FW. thank you for your time man!!!

Do you have software monitoring turned on in Cubase? That will create a feedback loop when reamping via USB.

To finally make sure that it's not my reamp chain (cables, plugins, cubase error, sample rate, bit deph or anything else)
Could anyone please use this preset (With cab off) https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a4qrib6he09kor/test.syx?dl=0
to reamp this test DI https://www.dropbox.com/s/i52ombg2551vcr3/test DI.wav?dl=0 and share the file
so I can compare to what I'm getting here.
If results are the same as mine, then I have to learn using Axe again :)

Here is another example, note how much louder the background "shshsh" noise (between palm mutes like on 0.01sec) on the Axe fx take.
I totally realize that this may be caused by the axe amp settings I used, but the thing is that it's much easier to achieve less noisy signal using plugins (WITHOUT GATE)
If this is my mistake, what am I doing wrong?

Axe (input signal level is in the green area, barely touching yellow led on the AxeFX meter):

Kazzrog Psycho A:

guys are very protective of being asked about their cables, but I can tell you that when I've allowed the USB that comes from my macbook pro to the Axe FX to drape too near power cables and midi cables, I can get the sort of RF interference that you demonstrated, when re-amping, or when tracking fresh tracks direct from my axe into the macbook pro. Sometimes, I've merely separated the USB from being 1 inch away, to being 6 inches away, and it has made a dramatic improvement.

When you demonstrate the quality of the reamp track when using a DAW plugin, the usb cable is removed from the equation, and your results improved.

I have also experienced that in certain situations, if I have my macbook plugged into the charger cable, I will get RF on my tracks - again, a ground loop between the Axe FX and the macbook. If I let the macbook run on battery power, it is a cleaner quality result.

Agree, @rodzimguitar68
that's why I'm asking for someone to reamp the test DI with my preset.
Power cable interference sounds quite different to the noise I'm experiencing.

Tried the DI and preset. Here's a few things I've noticed. DI track is a somewhat noisy and is very hot. Average RMS peaks are at around -3 dB while by comparison a DI from my Les Paul with a Duncan JB in the bridge (fairly hot passive pickup) is around -11 dB from my XL. That combined with the drive block is just mushing everything out and magnifying the DI noise that much more. Dropping the DI level 8 to 10 dB in the DAW brings back a lot of clarity. Also, the tube screamer tone parameter is set to 9.98. This adds a huge amount of hiss and noise as well. Turning it down to 5 or 6 gets rid of a lot of the hiss. You can then add brightness back to the tone using the presence or graphic EQ in the amp block (post gain) or choose a brighter sounding cab.

thanx for analysis Mr-Fender, turning level down is what SeeD suggested as well. What Input signal Leds on the axe FX looks like when you turning the signal down? As I said, when I reamp I keep it in the green area barely touching third yellow led.
w3Bm0Pd.png

Overall, thanx to you guys I see that it's not a bug, it's just the way the AxeFX are, it's more sensitive to DI quality then VST plugins

What initially confused me is the fact that with the same DI and signal level using Screamers with its Tone at maximum, plugins has less hiss than the Axe, so I thought maybe it's something wrong...

Last edited:
I can tell you that my inputs are also green on the axe fx.. when i re-amp. I did think that this was a fault with my Axe Fx II.
And i made a tread about it a long time ago.. but i got no were..
You might be having the same "problem"
I do get a bit lower signal,when i try to re-amp with the re-amp track i get from the clean DI track using the axe fx)
I always record 2 signals from the axe fx. 1 wet.. and on clean DI. And this is the DI i am talking about. This is also were i am only hitting the Green (input on the axe fx,when i re-amp)

It would be nice to get a awnser to get rid of this problem. But i can work around it.. by dropping the volume,or bumping it up a bit.. in cubase,when i re-amp..

Ahhhhhh... this makes my head hurt :)

You're right SeeD. The DI signal level from the Axe is much lower then the DI I provided for tests. So indeed, this may be the case, I was fooled by that input meter. I think the best way is to measure average levels DI's coming out of the axe and apply it to others.
So we should have some kind of Recommended Levels for DI's

And this is the DI i am talking about. This is also were i am only hitting the Green (input on the axe fx,when i re-amp)

It would be nice to get a awnser to get rid of this problem. But i can work around it.. by dropping the volume,or bumping it up a bit.. in cubase,when i re-amp..

It's normal and not a problem. You shouldn't adjust DI (recorded from Axe-FX) level to hit a certain target input LED target, if you want the same level entering the grid as when originally played.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/re-amp-problem-help-me-out-seed.87853/#post-106252

yea, but we're talking about DI received from other sources. AXE DI does not need any adjustments, it's fine

Right, your DI was just too high of a level for that preset. You could adjust for this by reducing input level in the input/gate block, or various other ways.

Right, your DI was just too high of a level for that preset. You could adjust for this by reducing input level in the input/gate block, or various other ways.
So that's the source of the problem, by looking at AXE meters signal looks fine, it's not jumping above the red, don't even touches it.
I used to rely on meters of my hardware

Might be a difference in the way the meter is displayed when switching between analog and digital input modes. The diagram in the manual is not clear about where the meter is located relative to the A/D converters. Not sure if the meter is showing the analog input level (dBu) or the digital signal level (dBFS). It might change depending on the selected input mode. The difference in scale might explain the different meter readings.

Back
Top Bottom